Can VBScript accept user input over a network?
Author Message
 Can VBScript accept user input over a network?

Is there a way for a VBScript file running on a server to prompt a
user on a client machine (say with a MsgBox) for input.  We have a
script that runs on a server as a sceduled task and if something goes
wrong, all we can do now is send a net send via the Run method of a
WScript.Shell object to notify us of the problem and then stop the
script.

Thanks,

Seth

Wed, 22 Sep 2004 03:15:52 GMT
 Can VBScript accept user input over a network?
Not sure if the message will display locally or remotely because
of the focous point being the origin of execution but experiment
trying to get the notify wshscript to execute on client not server.
You can have the server script invoke a script on the client
that notifies him of the condition with a popup message. Map a drive path on
the server to a share on the client where the script exists use the run
command to execute the script in the
%windir% path being the client. Good luck

Quote:
> Is there a way for a VBScript file running on a server to prompt a
> user on a client machine (say with a MsgBox) for input.  We have a
> script that runs on a server as a sceduled task and if something goes
> wrong, all we can do now is send a net send via the Run method of a
> WScript.Shell object to notify us of the problem and then stop the
> script.

> Thanks,

> Seth

Wed, 22 Sep 2004 04:08:51 GMT
 Can VBScript accept user input over a network?
Thanks Brett,  I don't think that would solve my problem though.  I
can already notify that the script isn't working but I have no way to
pass and retrieve values to the script over the network in an attempt
to keep it from failing.

Sat, 25 Sep 2004 23:44:42 GMT
 Can VBScript accept user input over a network?
Can anybody think of a work around for this?  This problem has become
an issue at my office.  Thanks in advance.

Tue, 28 Sep 2004 03:50:38 GMT
 Can VBScript accept user input over a network?
I think no one has offered a solution because it would probably be non-trivial.  I don't personally know of any simple solution.

I can imagine one possible solution where the script would send an MSMQ message and then wait (with a reasonable timeout) for a reply from one or more custom MSMQ desktop client applications listening on the queue...

--
Michael Harris
Microsoft.MVP.Scripting

> Can anybody think of a work around for this?  This problem has become
> an issue at my office.  Thanks in advance.

Tue, 28 Sep 2004 04:27:18 GMT
 Can VBScript accept user input over a network?
If I understand your problem, the script encounters and error and then
notifies  you of the error and then quit.  You want it to ask you what to
do?  Do you know what errors to expect?  Does your script have error
handling routines, this would eliminate the need of the machine asking you
what to do.  If you want control like you suggest, you may have to break
your script into components.  On the error have it contact you or start a
client side script which will continue the execution based on your input.
The client script could then have the server execute the next component of
the script and continue the process on the server.

Jesse

I think no one has offered a solution because it would probably be
non-trivial.  I don't personally know of any simple solution.

I can imagine one possible solution where the script would send an MSMQ
message and then wait (with a reasonable timeout) for a reply from one or
more custom MSMQ desktop client applications listening on the queue...

--
Michael Harris
Microsoft.MVP.Scripting
Seattle WA US

> Can anybody think of a work around for this?  This problem has become
> an issue at my office.  Thanks in advance.

Sun, 03 Oct 2004 20:42:07 GMT

1. accept password without displaying input ?

2. check input field, only numbers accepted

3. Suggestions for Grid control that accepts user input

4. Grid control that accepts user input

5. User Input - Text Replace - Can any of this be done with VBscript

6. User input of HEX into ASP in VBScript

7. Multi-Line User Input in vbScript

8. Validating input from input box against an array of suitable inputs

9. Form becomes active window but won't accept input with Wizard running behind it

10. Form becomes active window but won't accept input with Wizard running behind it

11. Accept input param on startup?

12. How do i accept japanese character input?