Do visual basic and vbscript have equal access to the Office97/2000 object model
Author Message
 Do visual basic and vbscript have equal access to the Office97/2000 object model

Can any component of the Office97/2000 object model -- which is accessible to
the current version of Visual Basic-- also be accessed with visual basic
script, and the appropriate scripting host?

-------------- Why am I asking this?

Earlier, Michael Harris provided a reference on accessing the object
model for Office97.  From it, I found references including the following.
All from Microsoft.

      http://www.*-*-*.com/

Past experience tells me Microsoft sources explaining one product
often assume ownership of other Microsoft products.

So it worries me that all the sites I reviewed (explaining the Office97/2000
object model) only refer to accessing it with other (expensive) Microsoft
products, such as Visual Basic, Visual FoxPro or Visual Interdev.

It's hard to believe that Microsoft has created a situation where you can do
for nothing, what otherwise costs several hundred dollars, to over one
thousand dollars.

But, if that is true, I want to share the financial advantage (and freedom)
with my clients, by scripting rather than programming. Then my clients
can modify my scripts on the fly themselves. Or have me do it, and email
the text files to them.

Sun, 06 Oct 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Do visual basic and vbscript have equal access to the Office97/2000 object model

Quote:
> Can any component of the Office97/2000 object model -- which is accessible
> the current version of Visual Basic-- also be accessed with visual basic
> script, and the appropriate scripting host?

The object models of Office are all COM objects so can be automated by
anything that can manipulate COM, even JavaScript running in your web
browser if you wish.

Sun, 06 Oct 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Do visual basic and vbscript have equal access to the Office97/2000 object model
Yes, you can access the objects using VB Script.  Here's an article that
give a good example of building a Microsoft Word document using Active
Server Pages.

http://www.asptoday.com/articles/19990825.htm

You can also use Excel, Powerpoint, Access, and Outlook objects.  I've built
several ASPs that use the Outlook object model to send, receive, and store
email information.

Scott Walker
MCP, MCT, ACP

Quote:
> Can any component of the Office97/2000 object model -- which is accessible
> the current version of Visual Basic-- also be accessed with visual basic
> script, and the appropriate scripting host?

> -------------- Why am I asking this?

> Earlier, Michael Harris provided a reference on accessing the object
> model for Office97.  From it, I found references including the following.
> All from Microsoft.

>       http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q222/1/01.ASP

> Past experience tells me Microsoft sources explaining one product
> often assume ownership of other Microsoft products.

> So it worries me that all the sites I reviewed (explaining the
Office97/2000
> object model) only refer to accessing it with other (expensive) Microsoft
> products, such as Visual Basic, Visual FoxPro or Visual Interdev.

> It's hard to believe that Microsoft has created a situation where you can
do
> for nothing, what otherwise costs several hundred dollars, to over one
> thousand dollars.

> But, if that is true, I want to share the financial advantage (and
freedom)
> with my clients, by scripting rather than programming. Then my clients
> can modify my scripts on the fly themselves. Or have me do it, and email
> the text files to them.

Sun, 06 Oct 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Do visual basic and vbscript have equal access to the Office97/2000 object model
The main differences are

--- VBA runs faster because it runs as an "in process" DLL within the host application.  VBScript
clients use the application as an "out of process" EXE server which is inherently slower.

--- The host application exposes portions of it's objects model to VBA code automatically.  VBScript
clients have to explicitly create and/or request objects from the host application.

--- The host application exposes named constants automatically.  With VBScript you have to code the
equivalent "Const xxBlahBlah = somevalue" explicitly (or use the .wsf/.wsc <reference> element).

--- VBA supports optional arguments and also named arguments and VBScript does not support either.

--- VB and VBA are equivalent in language syntax and features (they both use the same VBA language
engine) whereas VBScript is a "safe" syntactic subset with a separate binary implementation.

--
Michael Harris
MVP Scripting

[...]

1. Accessing Response Object VIA Visual Basic

2. Book: Doing objects in Visual Basic

3. VBScript object From Visual Basic

4. Converting from Access 97 to 2000 - Visual Basic Code

5. Using visual basic with access 2000

6. VBA Error Handler add-in will not update in Access 2000, Visual Basic Editor

7. Visual Basic 6 and Access 2000 Problems

8. Excel object model and localized office 2000

9. Opening Access 2000 with Visual Basic 6

10. Object Model Block on Outlook 2000 Security Patch hamstrings a VB6 application

11. outlook 2000 object model

12. UML Object Modeling in v.5 and 2000