Accessing Network Drives/Folders/Files via the FileSystemObject
Author Message
 Accessing Network Drives/Folders/Files via the FileSystemObject

I'm working on an ASP ap that needs to access folders and
files on a drive mapped from the web server to another
shared drive on a different machine.

The FileSystemObject Drives collection does show all the
mapped drive letters, but I cannot get at any of the
folders/files under that drive.

the Drive.IsReady property for all my drives of
tyep "Network" is returning False, so I assume this is why
I can't get at any folders/files beneath them.

Anyone out there with any knowledge of how to over come
this.

Help would be much apprectiated.  Thanks
-Tim Heffernan

Sat, 15 May 2004 02:48:29 GMT
 Accessing Network Drives/Folders/Files via the FileSystemObject
I'm working on an ASP ap that needs to access folders and
files on a drive mapped from the web server to another
shared drive on a different machine.

The FileSystemObject Drives collection does show all the
mapped drive letters, but I cannot get at any of the
folders/files under that drive.

the Drive.IsReady property for all my drives of
tyep "Network" is returning False, so I assume this is why
I can't get at any folders/files beneath them.

Anyone out there with any knowledge of how to over come
this.

Help would be much apprectiated.  Thanks
-Tim Heffernan

Sat, 15 May 2004 02:48:25 GMT
 Accessing Network Drives/Folders/Files via the FileSystemObject
Here is just a thought.  Have you checked the permissions
for your Internet Account user?  Make sure they have
permissions to access those other mapped drives.  It does
sound like it is all set up correctly except for the
permission settings.  Check em and let us know.

Mythran

Quote:

Sat, 15 May 2004 03:28:25 GMT
 Accessing Network Drives/Folders/Files via the FileSystemObject

Quote:

> I'm working on an ASP ap that needs to access folders and
> files on a drive mapped from the web server to another
> shared drive on a different machine.

This is a known permission issue (there is a KB article
about this). Your web server is trying to access network
resources using local account IUSR_MachineName (local
accounts are no-go on the network).

You can basically choose between few (mostly bad) options:
- to run IIS service using some valid domain account that
have access to needed network resources (VERY BAD!!!)
- to map a drive using "Connect As", then let FSO access
resources through the mapped drive (BAD!!)
- to use basic authentication and force users to log on
to your web site (VERY BAD(beware of clear text pasword)!!!),
then piggyback access on their access permissions (provided
they have one)
- to use basic authentication over SSL (not bad just messy)

Keep on mind that "Windows Authentication" can not be used
to access network resources.

Branimir

Sat, 15 May 2004 04:36:40 GMT
 Accessing Network Drives/Folders/Files via the FileSystemObject
And the KB article is:

Q207671 - HOWTO: Accessing Network Files from IIS Applications
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q207/6/71.ASP

--
Michael Harris
Microsoft.MVP.Scripting

Quote:

> > I'm working on an ASP ap that needs to access folders and
> > files on a drive mapped from the web server to another
> > shared drive on a different machine.

> This is a known permission issue (there is a KB article
> about this). Your web server is trying to access network
> resources using local account IUSR_MachineName (local
> accounts are no-go on the network).

> You can basically choose between few (mostly bad) options:
> - to run IIS service using some valid domain account that
> have access to needed network resources (VERY BAD!!!)
> - to map a drive using "Connect As", then let FSO access
> resources through the mapped drive (BAD!!)
> - to use basic authentication and force users to log on
> to your web site (VERY BAD(beware of clear text pasword)!!!),
> then piggyback access on their access permissions (provided
> they have one)
> - to use basic authentication over SSL (not bad just messy)

> Keep on mind that "Windows Authentication" can not be used
> to access network resources.

> Branimir

Sat, 15 May 2004 10:08:59 GMT
 Accessing Network Drives/Folders/Files via the FileSystemObject
Here are some general troubleshooting steps for your reference:

Does this problem related to where your mapped drive points? Is it a NT
share or else?

Can you try to access it directly without mapped driver? For example you
can reference the article PRB: Cannot Access Remote Files with the
FileSystemObject at
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q197/9/64.ASP and try to
access with UNC path directly.

If there are some errors like permisison and etc while access with UNC
directly, resolve it first and then try to use map drive again.

Hope it helps.

Regards,
Robin

This posting is provided AS IS, with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Mon, 17 May 2004 02:09:24 GMT
 Accessing Network Drives/Folders/Files via the FileSystemObject
Please avoide multiposts and reference the answer for another same post.

Hope it helps.

Regards,
Robin

This posting is provided AS IS, with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Mon, 17 May 2004 02:10:20 GMT
 Accessing Network Drives/Folders/Files via the FileSystemObject
Branimir,

Thanks so much for taking the time to answer this.
Doesn't sound as though there's really a good solution to
this.  Have you ever run across any 3rd party com objects
that might handle this better?

Thanks
Tim

Quote:

Quote:
>> I'm working on an ASP ap that needs to access folders
and
>> files on a drive mapped from the web server to another
>> shared drive on a different machine.

>This is a known permission issue (there is a KB article
>about this). Your web server is trying to access network
>resources using local account IUSR_MachineName (local
>accounts are no-go on the network).

>You can basically choose between few (mostly bad) options:
>- to run IIS service using some valid domain account that
>have access to needed network resources (VERY BAD!!!)
>- to map a drive using "Connect As", then let FSO access
>resources through the mapped drive (BAD!!)
>- to use basic authentication and force users to log on
>to your web site (VERY BAD(beware of clear text
pasword)!!!),
>then piggyback access on their access permissions
(provided
>they have one)
>- to use basic authentication over SSL (not bad just
messy)

>Keep on mind that "Windows Authentication" can not be used
>to access network resources.

>Branimir

>.

Tue, 18 May 2004 23:36:42 GMT
 Accessing Network Drives/Folders/Files via the FileSystemObject

Quote:

> Have you ever run across any 3rd party com objects
> that might handle this better?

I am not aware of any such a component, but that does
not imply its nonexistance.

Few (very conservative) thought though:
I beleive that "touching" internal network resources
through publicly exposed web site translates into
asking for trouble (s* can and does happen).

You could probbably write MTS package that will
"run as" and serve files to your web server in a
(let's assume) safe manner, or if possible set up
and schedule separate script that will copy only
necessarry files to local folder where IUSR_XXX
have access. Since this too is scary proposal, it
might force some "soul searching" and careful planning.

Branimir

Wed, 19 May 2004 00:33:04 GMT
 Accessing Network Drives/Folders/Files via the FileSystemObject

Fri, 19 Jun 1992 00:00:00 GMT
 Accessing Network Drives/Folders/Files via the FileSystemObject
Mirror the remote data to the hard disk of the webserver???

Geert

Quote:

Wed, 19 May 2004 01:00:04 GMT

1. Access to network drive using FileSystemObject

2. Accessing Remote Folders via FileSystemObject

3. FileSystemObject - Network Drive/Network Path

4. get drive size from network network mapped drives

5. FileSystemObject on network drive???

6. FileSystemObject intermittently fails on network drive

7. Network Drives & FileSystemObject

8. FileSystemObject intermittently fails on network drive

9. isReady returns false on Network drive FileSystemObject

10. Filesystemobject - Network Drive Problem

11. FileSystemObject with Network Drives

12. fso Drive - files or folders in drive