filling a drop down usinga text file
Author Message
 filling a drop down usinga text file

Hope you can help guys

Is it possible to fill the contents of a drop-down box using a text file say
that the choices could be changed by changing the text file?

Damo

Fri, 26 Mar 2004 20:59:10 GMT
 filling a drop down usinga text file

damo babbled this...

||  Hope you can help guys
||  Is it possible to fill the contents of a drop-down box using a text file say
||  that the choices could be changed by changing the text file?

yes.

--
brucie
http://www.html-faq.com/ | http://www.alt-html.org/

Fri, 26 Mar 2004 21:07:27 GMT
 filling a drop down usinga text file

Quote:

> damo babbled this...

> ||  Hope you can help guys
> ||  Is it possible to fill the contents of a drop-down box using a text file
say
> ||  that the choices could be changed by changing the text file?

> yes.

<grin>
Brucie means that you should look into SSI
</grin>

He'll be along later with the links...

Cheers
Richard.

Fri, 26 Mar 2004 21:14:12 GMT
 filling a drop down usinga text file

brucie babbled this...

||  damo babbled this...
||  ||  Hope you can help guys
||  ||
||  ||  Is it possible to fill the contents of a drop-down box using a text file say
||  ||  that the choices could be changed by changing the text file?

||  yes.

sorry, that got send a little before I was ready to send it.

yes. you have heaps of options on how to do it. you can use stuff like
perl, SSIs, PHP, asp. (no client side stuff, it's unreliable)

have a read of this:
http://allmyfaqs.com/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?Include_one_file_in_another

have a look here:
http://cgi.resourceindex.com/Programs_and_Scripts/Perl/

and here:
http://php.resourceindex.com/Complete_Scripts/

--
brucie
http://www.html-faq.com/ | http://www.alt-html.org/
http://www.allmyfaqs.com/ | http://www.ayzball.com/

Fri, 26 Mar 2004 21:17:18 GMT
 filling a drop down usinga text file

rf babbled this...

||  > ||  Hope you can help guys
||  > ||
||  > ||  Is it possible to fill the contents of a drop-down box using a text file
||  say
||  > ||  that the choices could be changed by changing the text file?

||  > yes.

||  <grin>
||  Brucie means that you should look into SSI
||  </grin>

I hit the wrong button :-(

||  He'll be along later with the links...

SSI tutorials:
http://htmlgoodies.earthweb.com/beyond/ssi.html
http://www.ispelunker.com/hpages/ssitricks.shtml
http://www.artsackett.com/grey_papers/ssi/rest_of_us.html
http://www.bignosebird.com/ssi.shtml
http://hoohoo.ncsa.uiuc.edu/docs/tutorials/includes.html
http://adashimar.hypermart.net/ssi.htm
http://www.carleton.ca/~dmcfet/html/ssi1.html
http://www.useforesite.com/tut_ssi.shtml
http://www.apacheweek.com/features/ssi

--
brucie
http://www.html-faq.com/ | http://www.alt-html.org/
http://www.allmyfaqs.com/ | http://www.ayzball.com/

Fri, 26 Mar 2004 21:19:39 GMT
 filling a drop down usinga text file

Quote:

> Is it possible to fill the contents of a drop-down box using a text
> file say that the choices could be changed by changing the text
> file?

In HTML or in VBScript? Crossposting to two so different groups tends to
mean that neither of them is the right group to post to.

The correct answer to your _real_ question, if I see it correctly (the
crystal ball is a bit dim now), is "preprocessing". See
http://www.idocs.com/wmr/software/html+preprocessors/

(If you just meant "How do I include one file in another?", then
http://www.htmlhelp.com/faq/html/design.html#include-file would have
been the place to start with. But you need a little more: generating a
<select> element from a file of textual alternatives, so some simple
markup needs to be added in the process.)

--
Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

Sat, 27 Mar 2004 13:23:10 GMT
 filling a drop down usinga text file
Sure, we can. If you want to do this on the server side, we can read the
text by using the FileSystemObject or use ADO and etc to read the text
file, then we can use ASP code to dynamically generate the options for the
Dropdown.

If you want to do this in client side, you need sufficent permission to use
such object like FileSystemObject, then you can add options in client side
script.

Hope this helps,

Robin

Sat, 27 Mar 2004 17:41:54 GMT

1. Fill drop-down menu with elements of Dbase

2. drop down edit boxes and filling them from a db

3. Dynamically fill a drop down list

4. Drop Down menu auto filling date elsewhere

5. Filling a combo drop down from access table

6. Drop Down List Box - Drop Down portion does not always disappear after Click event

7. Press F1 key while drop-down menu item highlighted, drop-down menu stays on top

8. Data bound drops downs dont drop down!

9. VBA code to go to a bookmarked drop down goes to wrong drop down

10. HELP: Drop down text menu...?

11. Disable IE5.5 drop down list when I type text within a web page - PLEASE HELP

12. Disable IE5.5 drop down list when I type text within a web page - PLEASE HELP