ActiveX wrapper -- how to access it
Author Message
 ActiveX wrapper -- how to access it

I'm new to scripting in html so . . .

I've built a web page for the company intRAnet that updates the
display of data from a real-time database every 2 seconds.  The
real-time database supplies an api (in a .dll file) which I've wrapped
into an ActiveX object .dll file.  My client-side VBScript retrieves
the data from the real-time database server just fine.

But it only works on my development machine because, as I understand
it, when I built the ActiveX object dll, VB6 automatically installed
it on that machine.  Other machines that will access the web page will
not have the dll installed.

How do I make my web page work on machines that do not have the dll
installed?  In other words, how does my web page access the wrapper?
I had hoped for a way for the web page to automatically
download the ActiveX or utilize it from the server without having the
go around and install it on each box.

Wed, 05 Oct 2005 21:18:09 GMT
 ActiveX wrapper -- how to access it
hi bj,

if you instantiate your actX dll using the <object> tag. then you may
specify where to find it using the CODEBASE parameter.

cheers, jw

Quote:

> How do I make my web page work on machines that do not have the dll
> installed?  In other words, how does my web page access the wrapper?

Thu, 06 Oct 2005 04:42:03 GMT
 ActiveX wrapper -- how to access it

Quote:
>if you instantiate your actX dll using the <object> tag. then you may
>specify where to find it using the CODEBASE parameter.

I've seen quite a bit of information about the <object> tag.  However,
I haven't figured out how to use it in this instance -- possibly
because it seems to be made for other purposes, too.

It seems that the CODEBASE parameter has the server path to the dll
file relative to the location of the html file.  Right?

But what about the CLASSID?  Where does that come from?  I don't have
a digital signature for the dll and would like to avoid having to get
one since this is on a "trusted" intRAnet.

Are any other parameters required to make the <object> tag work in
this application?

Thanks.

Fri, 07 Oct 2005 09:42:53 GMT
 ActiveX wrapper -- how to access it

Quote:
> >if you instantiate your actX dll using the <object> tag. then you may
> >specify where to find it using the CODEBASE parameter.

> I've seen quite a bit of information about the <object> tag.  However,
> I haven't figured out how to use it in this instance -- possibly
> because it seems to be made for other purposes, too.

> It seems that the CODEBASE parameter has the server path to the dll
> file relative to the location of the html file.  Right?

> But what about the CLASSID?  Where does that come from?  I don't have
> a digital signature for the dll and would like to avoid having to get
> one since this is on a "trusted" intRAnet.

> Are any other parameters required to make the <object> tag work in
> this application?

> Thanks.

The classid will be in your registry in hkey_classes_root. Look for the prog
id of your class. E.g. the ado recordset version 2.5 is under
adodb.recordset.2.5

Joe

Fri, 07 Oct 2005 17:40:01 GMT

1. ActiveX Wrapper Events

2. MIDI API wrappers or ActiveX help requested

3. ActiveX component wrapper

4. ActiveX wrapper to trap events?

5. Wrapper for NT Security access

6. Building ActiveX controls that will access activex.dll running on PWS

7. Looking for an ActiveX Control to access a local Access db

8. Accessing IE5 DOM from inside my clientside activex obj in a activex dll

9. Accessing activex control from another activex object in ie5 (vb 6)

10. Accessing an ActiveX control property that is a variant

11. Want To Run Excel and Access as ActiveX Objects Without Seeing Wa rning

12. ActiveX access to IE File/SaveAs