Best language?
Author Message
 Best language?

I am planning to create a site simaliar in idea to amazon and sites like
that. I was planning to create this site with ASPs, VBScript. Is this a good
idea or is there a better language that I should be using.

Thanks
RC

Sun, 17 Jul 2005 05:32:11 GMT
 Best language?

Quote:
> I am planning to create a site simaliar in idea to amazon and sites
> like that. I was planning to create this site with ASPs, VBScript. Is
> this a good idea or is there a better language that I should be using.

How are your PHP and Perl skills?  Then the site can be hosted on Windows
*or* Unix-type platforms.  Remember that Windows is perhaps not the best bet
when it comes to site scalability.  If you need proof, just try getting to
anything important on www.microsoft.com right after one of their security
bulletins gets announced.  Page timeouts, 404s, 500s, etc galore.  I
honestly believe Windows is not yet ready for prime time when it comes to
multimillion user systems.  When they switched Hotmail from Apache to IIS
the page load times increased dramatically, and upping the connection speeds
(on my end) did not help.  With all that said, I have no idea if your site
expects huge volumes of hits or not.  If not, then go the ASP method; the
learning is certainly less, and you'll find an abundance of tools to help
you out.  Not that there are no tools for PHP/Perl/Apache or anything, there
are literally dozens, there just seems (to me) to be more available for the
Windows platform.

FWIW, Amazon runs Stronghold/2.4.2 Apache/1.3.6 C2NetEU/2412 (Unix) on
Linux.

See http://www.netcraft.com/ and click the "What's that site running ?" link
to find out what OS/WebServer that sites you are interested in emulating are
using.

Sun, 17 Jul 2005 05:52:51 GMT
 Best language?

Are you voting for Assembler, Curtis?

Don't laugh, there's a .NET Assembly Language clone someone has...

--
Please respond in the newsgroup so everyone may benefit.
 http://dev.remotenetworktechnology.com

Quote:

> > I am planning to create a site simaliar in idea to amazon and sites
> > like that. I was planning to create this site with ASPs, VBScript. Is
> > this a good idea or is there a better language that I should be using.

> How are your PHP and Perl skills?  Then the site can be hosted on Windows
> *or* Unix-type platforms.  Remember that Windows is perhaps not the best bet
> when it comes to site scalability.  If you need proof, just try getting to
> anything important on www.microsoft.com right after one of their security
> bulletins gets announced.  Page timeouts, 404s, 500s, etc galore.  I
> honestly believe Windows is not yet ready for prime time when it comes to
> multimillion user systems.  When they switched Hotmail from Apache to IIS
> the page load times increased dramatically, and upping the connection speeds
> (on my end) did not help.  With all that said, I have no idea if your site
> expects huge volumes of hits or not.  If not, then go the ASP method; the
> learning is certainly less, and you'll find an abundance of tools to help
> you out.  Not that there are no tools for PHP/Perl/Apache or anything, there
> are literally dozens, there just seems (to me) to be more available for the
> Windows platform.

> FWIW, Amazon runs Stronghold/2.4.2 Apache/1.3.6 C2NetEU/2412 (Unix) on
> Linux.

> See http://www.netcraft.com/ and click the "What's that site running ?" link
> to find out what OS/WebServer that sites you are interested in emulating are
> using.

Sun, 17 Jul 2005 07:17:51 GMT
 Best language?
'best' is so horribly subjective I wouldn't even like to get involved

however, if ASP is your choice, you can use VBScript, JScript,
PerlScript, Python, or any other language with an Active-X Engine

I got bored with my old signature,
so I changed it

Atrax. MVP, IIS
http://rtfm.atrax.co.uk/

Sun, 17 Jul 2005 07:43:34 GMT

1. RTL-the better Language for HP750C?

2. What's a good language...

3. Which is the best language to learn?

4. Which is the best language to learn?

5. Is visual basic the best language...?

6. Which is the best language to learn?

7. Best language for browser applett?

8. Wondering if VB is a good language to learn

9. best language to learn directX

10. Is VB a good language to learn?

11. newbie: What is the latest version of embedded VB? Best language?

12. Would PS make a good microcontroller language?