Help! How to detect Plugins in IE?
Author Message
 Help! How to detect Plugins in IE?

I am very experienced in Javascript, but recently found that the
Microsoft version of Javascript doesn't have a way (that I can find) to
access the installed plugins, particularly to see if Flash or Adobe PDF
Viewer is installed.  I've programmed with Visual Basic quite
extensively and so if there is any VBScript solution (or any solution at
ALL) for detecting installed plugins, please let me know what object and
properties are involved.

Thanks a million!

-Kevin Krzyzanski

Sat, 16 Mar 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Help! How to detect Plugins in IE?
You need to know what the Program ID of the plugin is. Then you try and
create an object using that ProgID. If it errors then it's not installed. An
example Program ID for say Shockwave Flash 3 would be
ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash.3.

Code Example:

<script language="VBScript">
Option Explicit

Dim PluginInstalled

Function PluginDetect(ProgID As String)
    On Error Resume Next
    Dim ReturnValue
    ReturnValue = IsObject(CreateObject(ProgID))
    PluginDetect = ReturnValue
End Function

PluginInstalled = PluginDetect("ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash.3")
</script>

--
Kindest Regards,

Adrian Lehmann

         W e b c o m  P t y  L t d
         Production and Development

North Sydney           Phone: +612 8923-6666
NSW 2060                 Fax: +612 9929-3303
Australia           http://www.*-*-*.com/

"Common sense is the collection of prejudices
acquired by age eigh{*filter*}" - Albert Einstein

Quote:
> I am very experienced in Javascript, but recently found that the
> Microsoft version of Javascript doesn't have a way (that I can find) to
> access the installed plugins, particularly to see if Flash or Adobe PDF
> Viewer is installed.  I've programmed with Visual Basic quite
> extensively and so if there is any VBScript solution (or any solution at
> ALL) for detecting installed plugins, please let me know what object and
> properties are involved.

> Thanks a million!

> -Kevin Krzyzanski

Sun, 17 Mar 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Help! How to detect Plugins in IE?
That should do it for me!  Thanks a bunch!

-Kevin Krzyzanski

Quote:

> You need to know what the Program ID of the plugin is. Then you try and
> create an object using that ProgID. If it errors then it's not installed. An
> example Program ID for say Shockwave Flash 3 would be
> ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash.3.

> Code Example:

> <script language="VBScript">
> Option Explicit

> Dim PluginInstalled

> Function PluginDetect(ProgID As String)
>     On Error Resume Next
>     Dim ReturnValue
>     ReturnValue = IsObject(CreateObject(ProgID))
>     PluginDetect = ReturnValue
> End Function

> PluginInstalled = PluginDetect("ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash.3")
> </script>

> --
> Kindest Regards,

> Adrian Lehmann

>          W e b c o m  P t y  L t d
>          Production and Development

> North Sydney           Phone: +612 8923-6666
> NSW 2060                 Fax: +612 9929-3303
> Australia           http://www.*-*-*.com/

> "Common sense is the collection of prejudices
> acquired by age eigh{*filter*}" - Albert Einstein

> > I am very experienced in Javascript, but recently found that the
> > Microsoft version of Javascript doesn't have a way (that I can find) to
> > access the installed plugins, particularly to see if Flash or Adobe PDF
> > Viewer is installed.  I've programmed with Visual Basic quite
> > extensively and so if there is any VBScript solution (or any solution at
> > ALL) for detecting installed plugins, please let me know what object and
> > properties are involved.

> > Thanks a million!

> > -Kevin Krzyzanski

Sun, 17 Mar 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. Detecting plugins in IE.

2. Q. - Detecting Installed Plugins from within IE...

3. Detecting Run ActiveX Controls and Plugins is enabled in IE

4. How do I detect the plugins in IE

5. Hell of a Time - Detect Plugins, Close Parent Window, Detect 128 bit Encryption Browser, create Shortcut

6. IE plugins (Help me please)

7. IE plugins (Help me please)

8. detecting plugins

9. How to detect plugins

10. How to detect plugins in Jscript?

11. Detecting browser plugins in VBScript

12. How can I detect plugins with VB-Script