Read data from DB, write to registry via VBscript
Author Message
 Read data from DB, write to registry via VBscript

Part of the project I'm working on requires a client-side script that
reads certain data from a database and writes it into the client's
registry for later use.  I was thinking of doing this by writing an
ASP page that retrieves the data from the DB, then writes the data to
the registry via an ActiveX control we have.  The client-side VBScript
would then call this ASP page on the server via the IE object.

Is this the correct approach?

Tue, 24 Aug 2004 12:40:22 GMT
 Read data from DB, write to registry via VBscript
Though not exact, looks right.
client is C, server is S, database is D.

C queries -> S accepts -> S queries D -> S sends -> C accepts -> C does
something in his registry.

I guess you mean.

--
Han
www.0000.info

Quote:
> Part of the project I'm working on requires a client-side script that
> reads certain data from a database and writes it into the client's
> registry for later use.  I was thinking of doing this by writing an
> ASP page that retrieves the data from the DB, then writes the data to
> the registry via an ActiveX control we have.  The client-side vbscript
> would then call this ASP page on the server via the IE object.

> Is this the correct approach?

Tue, 24 Aug 2004 14:24:41 GMT
 Read data from DB, write to registry via VBscript
Yes, this is what needs to happen.  The challenge is getting the
client(C) to do something in the registry.  After calling the ASP page
from the vbscript, how do I pass the params retrieved by the ASP page
to the VBscript for writing to the registry?

Aj

Quote:

> Though not exact, looks right.
> client is C, server is S, database is D.

> C queries -> S accepts -> S queries D -> S sends -> C accepts -> C does
> something in his registry.

> I guess you mean.

> --
> Han
> www.0000.info
> Static IP Service

> > Part of the project I'm working on requires a client-side script that
> > reads certain data from a database and writes it into the client's
> > registry for later use.  I was thinking of doing this by writing an
> > ASP page that retrieves the data from the DB, then writes the data to
> > the registry via an ActiveX control we have.  The client-side vbscript
> > would then call this ASP page on the server via the IE object.

> > Is this the correct approach?

Wed, 25 Aug 2004 01:19:46 GMT
 Read data from DB, write to registry via VBscript

Quote:
> After calling the ASP page
> from the vbscript, how do I pass the params retrieved by the ASP page
> to the VBscript for writing to the registry?

1. calling the asp page
2. writing the returned value to the registry

Please choose one. If you want both, it is too big for me to write.

Wed, 25 Aug 2004 14:09:54 GMT
 Read data from DB, write to registry via VBscript

Quote:
> After calling the ASP page
> from the vbscript, how do I pass the params retrieved by the ASP page
> to the VBscript for writing to the registry?

1. calling the asp page
2. writing the returned value to the registry

Please choose one. If you want both, it is too big for me to write inline.

--
Han
www.0000.info

Quote:
> Yes, this is what needs to happen.  The challenge is getting the
> client(C) to do something in the registry.  After calling the ASP page
> from the vbscript, how do I pass the params retrieved by the ASP page
> to the VBscript for writing to the registry?

> Aj

Quote:
> > Though not exact, looks right.
> > client is C, server is S, database is D.

> > C queries -> S accepts -> S queries D -> S sends -> C accepts -> C does
> > something in his registry.

> > I guess you mean.

> > --
> > Han
> > www.0000.info
> > Static IP Service

> > > Part of the project I'm working on requires a client-side script that
> > > reads certain data from a database and writes it into the client's
> > > registry for later use.  I was thinking of doing this by writing an
> > > ASP page that retrieves the data from the DB, then writes the data to
> > > the registry via an ActiveX control we have.  The client-side vbscript
> > > would then call this ASP page on the server via the IE object.

> > > Is this the correct approach?

Wed, 25 Aug 2004 21:36:46 GMT
 Read data from DB, write to registry via VBscript
Thanks Han,

I already know how to write a value to the registry via VBS.  I also
know how to call an ASP page via VBS. What I need to know is the best
way to take the params retrieved from the ASP page and return them to
the VBscript that called it.

Quote:

> > After calling the ASP page
> > from the vbscript, how do I pass the params retrieved by the ASP page
> > to the VBscript for writing to the registry?

> 1. calling the asp page
> 2. writing the returned value to the registry

> Please choose one. If you want both, it is too big for me to write inline.

> --
> Han
> www.0000.info
> Static IP Service

> > Yes, this is what needs to happen.  The challenge is getting the
> > client(C) to do something in the registry.  After calling the ASP page
> > from the vbscript, how do I pass the params retrieved by the ASP page
> > to the VBscript for writing to the registry?

> > Aj

> > > Though not exact, looks right.
> > > client is C, server is S, database is D.

> > > C queries -> S accepts -> S queries D -> S sends -> C accepts -> C does
> > > something in his registry.

> > > I guess you mean.

> > > --
> > > Han
> > > www.0000.info
> > > Static IP Service

Fri, 27 Aug 2004 14:53:37 GMT
 Read data from DB, write to registry via VBscript
Nice AJ.

You looks nearly at there. ASP has two methods, GET or POST. Retrieving the
result from the ASP or any web page is,

set http = createobject("msxml2.xmlhttp")
 http.open "GET","http://somewhere.com/x.asp?k=1",false
 http.send
if http.status<>404 then t=http.responseText
msgbox t

You have an option GET/POST in the above code. Now the variable /t/ has
returned value. Once I collected the ways getting result from internet, and
I discovered there are 10 ways. Above is one of them.

--
Han
www.0000.info

Quote:
> Thanks Han,

> I already know how to write a value to the registry via VBS.  I also
> know how to call an ASP page via VBS. What I need to know is the best
> way to take the params retrieved from the ASP page and return them to
> the VBscript that called it.

Quote:
> > > After calling the ASP page
> > > from the vbscript, how do I pass the params retrieved by the ASP page
> > > to the VBscript for writing to the registry?

> > 1. calling the asp page
> > 2. writing the returned value to the registry

> > Please choose one. If you want both, it is too big for me to write
inline.

> > --
> > Han
> > www.0000.info
> > Static IP Service

> > > Yes, this is what needs to happen.  The challenge is getting the
> > > client(C) to do something in the registry.  After calling the ASP page
> > > from the vbscript, how do I pass the params retrieved by the ASP page
> > > to the VBscript for writing to the registry?

> > > Aj

Fri, 27 Aug 2004 15:20:06 GMT
 Read data from DB, write to registry via VBscript
Thanks Han,

This is what I needed.

Regards,

Aj

Quote:

> Part of the project I'm working on requires a client-side script that
> reads certain data from a database and writes it into the client's
> registry for later use.  I was thinking of doing this by writing an
> ASP page that retrieves the data from the DB, then writes the data to
> the registry via an ActiveX control we have.  The client-side vbscript
> would then call this ASP page on the server via the IE object.

> Is this the correct approach?

Sat, 28 Aug 2004 08:59:52 GMT

1. reading/writing to Registry from ASP via dll

2. read/write bitmap data to an ORACLE db in VB50

3. Reading registry via VBScript

4. How can I Read-Write the registry from a VBScript-Procedure of an outlook-form

5. Read/Write Registry with ASP- VBScript

6. Writing a VBS file which reads and writes to the registry

7. writing null values to Access DB via ASP

8. Writing to the Registry via API -- HELP!

9. can't write to DB via ODBC API

10. Open text file, read line, write to DB, read next line, write to Db and so on...HELP

11. Read Registry key via JScript

12. How can I Read-Write remote registry