breaking apart a string
Author Message
 breaking apart a string

I am passing a string from a form and the value of this
string is delimited by commas.
(15,253,349,)
 These values represent the record ID of multiple records
I need to update.

What would be an effective way to break this string down
and then update these records ?

here is the code I have so far:

nID=Request("recordnumber")
szStatus="yes"

                Set objConn = CreateObject
("ADODB.Connection")
                objConn.open "DRIVER={SQL
Server};SERVER=SOMESQL;DATABASE=aDB; UID=snoopy;"

                szSQL = "UPDATE tblCustomers SET
szHasWidget='" &szStatus& "'"
                szSQL = szSQL + " WHERE nID="&nID&";"
                Response.Write (szSQL)
        '       objConn.Execute(szSQL)

I thank you for any all assistance.

Regards
Matthew

Sun, 10 Apr 2005 04:07:15 GMT
 breaking apart a string
split! then use a for next loop to go through to the upperbound element of
the array.  see the ubound VBScript function

Returns a zero-based, one-dimensional array containing a specified number of
substrings.

Split(expression[, delimiter[, count[, compare]]])Arguments
  expression
  Required. String expression containing substrings and delimiters. If
expression is a zero-length string, Split returns an empty array, that is,
an array with no elements and no data.
  delimiter
  Optional. String character used to identify substring limits. If omitted,
the space character (" ") is assumed to be the delimiter. If delimiter is a
zero-length string, a single-element array containing the entire expression
string is returned.
  count
  Optional. Number of substrings to be returned; -1 indicates that all
substrings are returned.
  compare
  Optional. Numeric value indicating the kind of comparison to use when
evaluating substrings. See Settings section for values.
Settings
The compare argument can have the following values:

      Constant Value Description
      vbBinaryCompare 0 Perform a binary comparison.
      vbTextCompare 1 Perform a textual comparison.

Remarks
The following example uses the Split function to return an array from a
string. The function performs a textual comparison of the delimiter, and
returns all of the substrings.

Dim MyString, MyArray, Msg
MyString = "VBScriptXisXfun!"
MyArray = Split(MyString, "x", -1, 1)
' MyArray(0) contains "VBScript".
' MyArray(1) contains "is".
' MyArray(2) contains "fun!".
Msg = MyArray(0) & " " & MyArray(1)
Msg = Msg   & " " & MyArray(2)

Quote:
> I am passing a string from a form and the value of this
> string is delimited by commas.
> (15,253,349,)
>  These values represent the record ID of multiple records
> I need to update.

> What would be an effective way to break this string down
> and then update these records ?

> here is the code I have so far:

> nID=Request("recordnumber")
> szStatus="yes"

> Set objConn = CreateObject
> ("ADODB.Connection")
> objConn.open "DRIVER={SQL
> Server};SERVER=SOMESQL;DATABASE=aDB; UID=snoopy;"

> szSQL = "UPDATE tblCustomers SET
> szHasWidget='" &szStatus& "'"
> szSQL = szSQL + " WHERE nID="&nID&";"
> Response.Write (szSQL)
> ' objConn.Execute(szSQL)

> I thank you for any all assistance.

> Regards
> Matthew

Sun, 10 Apr 2005 04:32:52 GMT
 breaking apart a string

Quote:
> What would be an effective way to break this string down
> and then update these records ?

strRecords = "15,253,349"
RecArray = Split(strRecords,",")

'Set Up Your Database

For I = 0 to UBound(RecArray)-1
   RecordSet.Open "SELECT * FROM mydatabase WHERE " &_
   "myrecord LIKE " & RecArray(I),Connection
      'Do what you need to do
   RecordSet.Close
Next

Sun, 10 Apr 2005 05:00:12 GMT

1. Break Apart String Using Index

2. Break Apart String Using Index

3. Break Apart String Using Index

4. Break apart (split) a string in Visual Basic/Access 97

5. break apart variable

6. Need Help taking a string apart - AND THANKS

7. Break single string with carriage return into 2 strings

8. How to Break up a string

9. Single quote in string from data bound control breaks window.open script

10. Breaking string into fields?

11. Breaking String for Outlook

12. Replace Break lines with spaces in a string