Send e-mail using default e-mail client
Author Message
 Send e-mail using default e-mail client

I'm trying to write a script for an intranet application that will
open the user's default e-mail client (e.g., Outlook or Composer).
Before opening the e-mail client, the script should hardwire a default
subject string and body text. The user will specify the "to" address
via the e-mail client. I also need to attach a file to the message. I
will have a URL (not a UNC path) to the attachment available from a
custom property at runtime.

I've tried using CDO, but I get a "permission denied" error whenever I
try to set any of the message's configuration settings. I am NOT using
IIS or ASP. I do know the IP address of the SMTP server.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

Bruce

Sun, 09 Jan 2005 01:43:30 GMT
 Send e-mail using default e-mail client

Quote:

> I'm trying to write a script for an intranet application that will
> open the user's default e-mail client (e.g., Outlook or Composer).
> Before opening the e-mail client, the script should hardwire a default
> subject string and body text. The user will specify the "to" address
> via the e-mail client. I also need to attach a file to the message. I
> will have a URL (not a UNC path) to the attachment available from a
> custom property at runtime.

> I've tried using CDO, but I get a "permission denied" error whenever I
> try to set any of the message's configuration settings. I am NOT using
> IIS or ASP. I do know the IP address of the SMTP server.

> Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

mailto protocol
http://msdn.microsoft.com/workshop/networking/predefined/mailto.asp

--
Michael Harris
Microsoft.MVP.Scripting

Sun, 09 Jan 2005 12:01:28 GMT
 Send e-mail using default e-mail client
Quote:
>mailto protocol
>http://msdn.microsoft.com/workshop/networking/predefined/mailto.asp

>--=20
>Michael Harris
>Microsoft.MVP.Scripting
>Seattle WA US
>--=20

Thanks Michael. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the HTML "mailto"
protocol cannot handle attachments.

Bruce

Sun, 09 Jan 2005 22:06:23 GMT
 Send e-mail using default e-mail client

Quote:
> Thanks Michael. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the HTML "mailto"
> protocol cannot handle attachments.

No, it doesn't...  But automating the *default* email client from the client side can (AFAIK) only be done using the mailto protocol.

In an Intranet scenario where you can guarantee an Outlook mail client (not Outlook Express), you could do full email automation only in a secure host setting like an HTA.

In the IE browser, you would need to get everyone to lower security for either the Intranet or Trusted sites zone in order to do that, something I would never recommend or (as a developer) ever expect.

--
Michael Harris
Microsoft.MVP.Scripting

Mon, 10 Jan 2005 12:40:59 GMT

1. Send e-mail using default e-mail client

2. How can i open the default mail client (without sending email)

3. Sending mail without using any email client !

4. Sending mail without using any email client !

5. Sending mail without using any email client !

6. Sending mail without using any email client !

7. How can I send email to the default email client outbox

8. Send Email to a Specific Address via Default Email Client

9. VB5 or 6 : Sending mail via default mail client

10. How do I send email regardless of mail client

11. Emailing using the default email client

12. Sending mail without using MS Outlook or other mail client