Obtaining VBScript
Author Message
 Obtaining VBScript

Hi all,

I'm new to scripting and I was wondering how I would
obtain VBScript?  I have VS6...is there an expansion
download?

Thanks

John

Fri, 01 Jul 2005 11:11:02 GMT
 Obtaining VBScript

Quote:

> Hi all,

> I'm new to scripting and I was wondering how I would
> obtain VBScript?  I have VS6...is there an expansion
> download?

You already have it since you appear to have IE 5.5 on a W2K box...

--
Michael Harris
Microsoft.MVP.Scripting

Fri, 01 Jul 2005 11:22:26 GMT
 Obtaining VBScript
ok...so as long as I have WSH installed and name my scripts with a .vbs
extension they should function?
Also, do you know of any good references on vb scripting?  websites?

Thanks!

Quote:

> > Hi all,

> > I'm new to scripting and I was wondering how I would
> > obtain VBScript?  I have VS6...is there an expansion
> > download?

> You already have it since you appear to have IE 5.5 on a W2K box...

> --
> Michael Harris
> Microsoft.MVP.Scripting
> Seattle WA US

Fri, 01 Jul 2005 11:45:27 GMT
 Obtaining VBScript

Quote:

> ok...so as long as I have WSH installed and name my scripts with a .vbs
> extension they should function?

Yes.

Quote:
> Also, do you know of any good references on vb scripting?  websites?

As my sig states:
Administration scripting examples and a ONLINE version of the 1328 page

It is targeted for Windows 2000 and higher, but most of the scripts will work
for Win9x/NT 4.0 if you install WMI and ADSI core.

Here are some Windows Script Host (WSH) introductions:

WSH
http://cis.stvincent.edu/wsh/index.html

Introduction to Windows Scripting
http://www.winguides.com/article.php?id=2

NT Gains Scripting Muscle
An introduction to Windows Script Host by Bob Wells.
http://www.winnetmag.com/Articles/Index.cfm?ArticleID=3026

Scripting 101
A 4 part series on how to create and structure WSH scripts by Bob Wells
http://www.winnetmag.com/Articles/Index.cfm?ArticleID=5410
http://www.winnetmag.com/Articles/Index.cfm?ArticleID=5505
http://www.winnetmag.com/Articles/Index.cfm?ArticleID=5683
http://www.winnetmag.com/Articles/Index.cfm?ArticleID=7112

VBScript Primer
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windows2000serv/maintain...

Here is a newsgroup thread you should look at as well with links to other
resources:

Subject: beginner looking for resources
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.scripting.vbscript
Date: 2002-01-31 08:11:00 PST
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&th=7015b808b5fb0cb4

--
torgeir
Administration scripting examples and a ONLINE version of the 1328 page

Fri, 01 Jul 2005 11:47:34 GMT
 Obtaining VBScript

Hi,

Pardon the "canned" response, but..

Do you have the MS WSH documentation?

All MS WSH downloads are at the url below.  Select
"documentation" from the left column.  The downloaded
file will install a chm file with the WSH (VBS-JS)
documentation.  This will give you any syntax differences
you need (at least for the more basic scripting).  Also here
is a de{*filter*}, an encoder, and the latest WSH (v5.6) update
(for all OSs other than WinXP - WinXP updates are
included in the OS and IE6 SPs).

(note: all urls are lengthy and may wrap)

http://www.*-*-*.com/

Since you use VB, you're probably used to using MSDN.

MSDN has information on the less common objects that you
may need to access, but it can be quite a bit more difficult to
navigate, and since it addresses the common programming
languages, not just script, it may require some interpretation.
These are the standard MSDN scripting jump-off pages that
I usually give:

MSDN, Advanced Search
http://www.*-*-*.com/

MSDN, WMI Scripting Primer
http://www.*-*-*.com/

MSDN, The Shell Object
http://www.*-*-*.com/

MSDN, The InternetExplorer Object
http://www.*-*-*.com/

MSDN, HTA Reference
http://www.*-*-*.com/

Finally, for what may be common questions, at odd hours, or to
avoid having to wait for answers on specific questions, you can try
Google Advanced Groups searches on the relevant keywords,
specifying as groups:

microsoft.public.scripting.*

There's a tremendous wealth of stored information.

Joe Earnest

| ok...so as long as I have WSH installed and name my scripts with a .vbs
| extension they should function?
| Also, do you know of any good references on vb scripting?  websites?
|
| Thanks!

---

Fri, 01 Jul 2005 11:54:43 GMT
 Obtaining VBScript
You'll want the documentation for starters.

WSH 5.6 documentation download
http://msdn.microsoft.com/downloads/sample.asp?url=/MSDN-FILES/027/00...

--
Regards,

Microsoft MVP [Windows NT/2000 Operating Systems]

Quote:

> ok...so as long as I have WSH installed and name my scripts with a .vbs
> extension they should function?
> Also, do you know of any good references on vb scripting?  websites?

> Thanks!

Fri, 01 Jul 2005 11:49:56 GMT
 Obtaining VBScript

Quote:

> Finally, for what may be common questions, at odd hours, or to
> avoid having to wait for answers on specific questions, you can try
> Google Advanced Groups searches on the relevant keywords,
> specifying as groups:

> microsoft.public.scripting.*

> There's a tremendous wealth of stored information.

And here is the link :-)

torgeir
Administration scripting examples and a ONLINE version of the 1328 page Scripting Guide:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/scriptcenter

Fri, 01 Jul 2005 11:58:55 GMT
 Obtaining VBScript
http://msdn.microsoft.com/scripting/

for the canonical reference

as for scripting websites, there are hundreds, what sort of programming
do you intend doing?

I got bored with my old signature,
so I changed it

Atrax. MVP, IIS
http://rtfm.atrax.co.uk/

Fri, 01 Jul 2005 11:55:32 GMT
 Obtaining VBScript
Thanks all...I'm certainly off to a great start!

I'm interested in scheduling a dial up networking connection and once
connected transfer files over the internet and manage these files locally.
Also, some log file creation to confirm connections and downloads.
If anyone knows of some examples of this or something similar I would very
much appreciate that!

Cheers all.

Quote:
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/scripting/

> for the canonical reference

> as for scripting websites, there are hundreds, what sort of programming
> do you intend doing?

> I got bored with my old signature,
> so I changed it

> Atrax. MVP, IIS
> http://rtfm.atrax.co.uk/

Fri, 01 Jul 2005 12:24:35 GMT

1. Script Encoder and obtaining VBScript version installed

2. Obtaining IP address and hostname from a VBScript

3. obtaining the user and host IP aadress through VBScript

4. Obtaining a GUID in VBScript

5. obtaining directory listing using vbscript.

6. Obtaining MAC TCP/IP address through PostScript

7. Obtaining client IP address client side

8. how to obtain AUTOMATIC pagination in PostScript

9. Obtaining Windows Nt username with javascript

10. Obtaining latest precompiled Ghostscript (Solaris 2.7)?

11. Update: How to obtain values for PPD

12. How to obtain values for PPD keywords?