e-mail using the server instead of client e-mail program
Author Message
 e-mail using the server instead of client e-mail program

User sees html page in browser, want him to be able to send out page as
e-mail but NOT using his local mail client but rather having the server send
out the page using CDONTS.

Question is how can this be done? It seems the contents of the user's screen
need to be sent to the server to an asp page that can then use that as the
body of the message. We can send stuff to an asp page using request
variables but how do you pass the whole darn page back as the content of a
request variable?

Tue, 20 Apr 2004 09:58:07 GMT
 e-mail using the server instead of client e-mail program
Hi,

If the page looks the same to different client users, isn't it a good idea
to just forward the URL instead of the whole page? I am sure this is not
hard to achieve. As for post back the content of client, it seems we can
only get the what is contained in the BODY section by referencing
document.body.innerHTML.

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,
Yan Liu
Microsoft Support

You assume all risk for your use. Copy Right, 2001 Microsoft Corporation.
All rights reserved.

Tue, 20 Apr 2004 18:20:15 GMT
 e-mail using the server instead of client e-mail program
Hi Robert,

You can load the content of the user screen to a hidden text field
using it outerHTML property before sending it to the server.  On the
server, just retrieve the content of the hidden field and send the
email.
ex:
sub submit1_onclick()
    document.hidden1.value = document.documentElement.outerHTML
    form1.submit
end sub

Hope this help
Tony Nguyen

Quote:

> User sees html page in browser, want him to be able to send out page as
> e-mail but NOT using his local mail client but rather having the server send
> out the page using CDONTS.

> Question is how can this be done? It seems the contents of the user's screen
> need to be sent to the server to an asp page that can then use that as the
> body of the message. We can send stuff to an asp page using request
> variables but how do you pass the whole darn page back as the content of a
> request variable?

Tue, 20 Apr 2004 22:39:45 GMT
 e-mail using the server instead of client e-mail program
Thanks, however if the HTML page gets dynamically generated based on the contents of a database, then passing the url back does not work, you would also have to pass back the parameters that created the the SQL statements that populated the page. It seems that within the restriction imposed by the use of outerhtml (ie body content only) this is preferable and more generic. I'll try it anyways.

Thanks.

Wed, 21 Apr 2004 11:31:22 GMT
 e-mail using the server instead of client e-mail program
Thanks for your input, Tony. This seems to be a better solution.

Thanks again.

Fri, 23 Apr 2004 09:22:53 GMT

1. Sending mail without using any email client !

2. Sending mail without using any email client !

3. Sending mail without using any email client !

4. Sending mail without using any email client !

5. Mail to IP instead of Email Address

6. How do I send email regardless of mail client

7. How can i open the default mail client (without sending email)

8. Emailing using the default email client

9. Send e-mail using default e-mail client

10. Send e-mail using default e-mail client

11. Mail server's address from Email address

12. Mail Server's IPAddress from Email Address