newbie question: generating Excel spreadsheet from the web
Author Message
 newbie question: generating Excel spreadsheet from the web

Hello all,

Here's my dilemma: I have an application that does pulls from a database to
send back a nicely formatted chart of information to my public web page.
Now, I want to be able to send this information to an Excel spreadsheet for
the user to play with/manipulate on their own machine. The only problem is
that the spreadsheet has to meet the following requirements:

1) Has to be formatted nicely (background colors in some cells, fonts look
great, etc.)
2) Data needs to spread out over several sheets
3) Needs to be compatible with both Excel 97 and 2000

Right now, I've been dynamically generating a rather long and complex
VBScript that uses Windows Scripting Host to generate the Excel file, i.e.

Dim objXL
   Set objXL = WScript.CreateObject("Excel.Application")
objXL.WorkBooks.Add
objXL.Sheets.Add
objXL.ActiveSheet.Name ="Product Detail"
[yada yada yada, you get the idea]

Of course, many of my users don't have WSH installed, so that screws them
up. I've had a couple of other ideas, but I don't want to force users to
change security settings or to run the script on my server (unless I can do
so without opening up the resource hog that is Excel).

Any thoughts?

TIA,
VW

Mon, 05 May 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 newbie question: generating Excel spreadsheet from the web
Chili!Soft (www.chilisoft.com) makes a package called Chili!Reports which,
on WindowsNT/IIS (not sure about other platforms), allows you to dynamically
generate Excel files using data from any ODBC datasource.  It uses a COM
Obejct called from ASP to do this via the Internet.

You give it whatever SQL statement you want to and the DSN name and it will
return the results of the query to an Excel file (you can specify a template
xls file) and push it to the users browser.  After that you'd have to write
some macros/VBA to move the data where you wanted it within the workbook.

I have used this before and it worked very well and was very reliable.

Neil

Quote:
> Hello all,

> Here's my dilemma: I have an application that does pulls from a database
> send back a nicely formatted chart of information to my public web page.
> Now, I want to be able to send this information to an Excel spreadsheet
for
> the user to play with/manipulate on their own machine. The only problem is
> that the spreadsheet has to meet the following requirements:

> 1) Has to be formatted nicely (background colors in some cells, fonts look
> great, etc.)
> 2) Data needs to spread out over several sheets
> 3) Needs to be compatible with both Excel 97 and 2000

> Right now, I've been dynamically generating a rather long and complex
> VBScript that uses Windows Scripting Host to generate the Excel file, i.e.

> Dim objXL
>    Set objXL = WScript.CreateObject("Excel.Application")
> objXL.WorkBooks.Add
> objXL.Sheets.Add
> objXL.ActiveSheet.Name ="Product Detail"
> [yada yada yada, you get the idea]

> Of course, many of my users don't have WSH installed, so that screws them
> up. I've had a couple of other ideas, but I don't want to force users to
> change security settings or to run the script on my server (unless I can
do
> so without opening up the resource hog that is Excel).

> Any thoughts?

> TIA,
> VW

Mon, 05 May 2003 03:00:00 GMT

1. Auto generate an Excel spreadsheet using a dll file

2. Generate an Excel Spreadsheet from VB 6.0

3. Web Form to Excel Spreadsheet

4. Opening Excel Spreadsheet in Web page

5. Opening Excel spreadsheet in a web page

6. Accessing Excel Spreadsheet from Web Server

7. newbie: create and write to excel spreadsheet

8. How to open an Excel spreadsheet from web from

9. Newbie - Web Question - turning VB project into Web material

10. Question: Copying RDO resultset into Excel Spreadsheet

11. compiling excel spreadsheet question

12. Newbie: Opening an Excel file from a web page