Checking for IE/WMP Hotfixes ?
Author Message
 Checking for IE/WMP Hotfixes ?

Hey all,

I know the quickfixengineering in WMI. But, that only gives me hotfixes
for the operatingsystem.

How do I retrieve information on which hotfixes for Internet Explorer
and Windows Media Player are installed ?

Isn't there a more clever way than registry ? And if you HAVE to do it
via registry, has someone already thought of some smart solution ?

Thanks in advance :o)

Jacob

Wed, 09 Jun 2004 21:56:03 GMT
 Checking for IE/WMP Hotfixes ?

Quote:
> Hey all,

> I know the quickfixengineering in WMI. But, that only gives me hotfixes
> for the operatingsystem.

> How do I retrieve information on which hotfixes for Internet Explorer
> and Windows Media Player are installed ?

It is more important to know which important fixes are you missing,
then to see the list of what registry "thinks" system have. And you
do need to worry about OS hot fixes as well.

Let's say that for some reason you re-apply SP. This will overwrite
hot fixed dlls but not the registry entries. Checking registry alone
will make you believe you are still OK, while in reality you run the
"show" using problematic stuff.

Get "hfnetchk.exe" utility and run regular scans. It will check
dll versions against the current list of what your system should
have. You can redirect output of this utility to a file (or
intercept stdout stream), then look for lines starting with "Patch"
(meaning - missing), download all MS01-XY updates "chain" them
together using Qchain.exe (actually q296861_x86_en.exe) and you'll
need only one reboot. Get this tool from:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q296861

Get "hfnetchk" from:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/technet/se...

Branimir

Wed, 09 Jun 2004 23:44:16 GMT
 Checking for IE/WMP Hotfixes ?

Hey Branimir,

thanks for the answer. I have a reason for asking though. I know these
utilities, but it's not the solution I'm interested in.

So, if anyone knows some kind of answer, I'm still interested :o)

Jacob

Quote:
> It is more important to know which important fixes are you missing,
> then to see the list of what registry "thinks" system have. And you
> do need to worry about OS hot fixes as well.

> Let's say that for some reason you re-apply SP. This will overwrite
> hot fixed dlls but not the registry entries. Checking registry alone
> will make you believe you are still OK, while in reality you run the
> "show" using problematic stuff.

> Get "hfnetchk.exe" utility and run regular scans. It will check
> dll versions against the current list of what your system should
> have. You can redirect output of this utility to a file (or
> intercept stdout stream), then look for lines starting with "Patch"
> (meaning - missing), download all MS01-XY updates "chain" them
> together using Qchain.exe (actually q296861_x86_en.exe) and you'll
> need only one reboot. Get this tool from:

> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q296861

> Get "hfnetchk" from:

> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/technet/se...

> Branimir

Thu, 10 Jun 2004 09:12:28 GMT

1. WMP from WMP.OCX

2. howto install hotfixes on client machines

3. WMP on pocket PC-JScript??

4. Enumerate Installed Hotfixes

5. How to get a List of installed Hotfixes and SP's of the Internet Explorer

6. Respond to embedded WMP Events?

7. scripts for deploying recent hotfixes!

8. hotfixes

9. diable right mouse for WMP

10. Custom wmp Skin - Sync graphics with audio

11. Check if IE is running...?

12. How to check for the IE plugin.