Error 80010108 starting IE from VBScript with prior IE instances open
Author Message
 Error 80010108 starting IE from VBScript with prior IE instances open

I have a VBScript which I use to open a specially sized/configured window on a remote site.

I have noticed that if I have IR open before running this script, it give an 80010108 error, presumably because the reference I have
made now applies to all instances of IE.  Is there a way I can open a new IE window while other instances of IE are already running
and not get this error?

ERROR BELOW
---------------------------
Script: C:\bin\scriptlib\sitecheck.vbs
Line: 14
Char: 1
Error: The object invoked has disconnected from its clients.

Code: 80010108
Source:  (null)
---------------------------
SCRIPT BELOW
---------------------------
1.  Dim Browser
2.  Dim OldTimer
3.  Dim SWidth
4.  Dim SHeight
5.  Set objShell = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
6.  Set Browser = CreateObject("InternetExplorer.Application")
7.  Browser.Navigate "about:blank"
8.  Browser.Toolbar = False
9.  Browser.StatusBar = False
10.  Browser.Resizable = True
11.  SWidth = Browser.Document.ParentWindow.Screen.AvailWidth
12.  SHeight = Browser.Document.ParentWindow.Screen.AvailHeight
13.  Browser.Width = 186
14.  Browser.Height = 176
15.  Browser.Left = (SWidth - Browser.Width) / 2
16.  Browser.Top = (SHeight - Browser.Height) / 2
17.  Browser.Navigate " http://www.*-*-*.com/ "
18.  wscript.sleep 2500
19.  Browser.Visible = True

Tue, 22 Jun 2004 03:21:16 GMT
 Error 80010108 starting IE from VBScript with prior IE instances open
???

I can't duplicate any error...

IE5.5 sp2 on Win2K sp2 with WSH 5.6...

--
Michael Harris
Microsoft.MVP.Scripting

> I have a VBScript which I use to open a specially sized/configured window
on a remote site.

> I have noticed that if I have IR open before running this script, it give

an 80010108 error, presumably because the reference I have
Quote:
> made now applies to all instances of IE.  Is there a way I can open a new

IE window while other instances of IE are already running
Quote:
> and not get this error?

> ERROR BELOW
> ---------------------------
> Script: C:\bin\scriptlib\sitecheck.vbs
> Line: 14
> Char: 1
> Error: The object invoked has disconnected from its clients.

> Code: 80010108
> Source:  (null)
> ---------------------------
> SCRIPT BELOW
> ---------------------------
> 1.  Dim Browser
> 2.  Dim OldTimer
> 3.  Dim SWidth
> 4.  Dim SHeight
> 5.  Set objShell = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
> 6.  Set Browser = CreateObject("InternetExplorer.Application")
> 7.  Browser.Navigate "about:blank"
> 8.  Browser.Toolbar = False
> 9.  Browser.StatusBar = False
> 10.  Browser.Resizable = True
> 11.  SWidth = Browser.Document.ParentWindow.Screen.AvailWidth
> 12.  SHeight = Browser.Document.ParentWindow.Screen.AvailHeight
> 13.  Browser.Width = 186
> 14.  Browser.Height = 176
> 15.  Browser.Left = (SWidth - Browser.Width) / 2
> 16.  Browser.Top = (SHeight - Browser.Height) / 2
> 17.  Browser.Navigate "http://www.domain.com"
> 18.  wscript.sleep 2500
> 19.  Browser.Visible = True

Tue, 22 Jun 2004 12:06:29 GMT
 Error 80010108 starting IE from VBScript with prior IE instances open
hmm...Thanks for taking a look Michael; I looked more closely and can work past the problem now even though it's still there.  I'm
posting the below to provide details for anyone else who may see a similar event.

I have XP Pro - with of course IE 6 and WSH 5.6; System is PIII-550, 320 MB RAM.

I've gone back and characterized it a little better; in fact, I can now control the appearance of the error :).

(1) Only occurs if I have multiple copies of IE open.

(2) I am able to "move" the error by remming out Browser.x lines or adding some - I haven't played with it a lot, but it does go up
and down, as if commands were being buffered and it consistently hits a wall at some point.

(3) I can also *eliminate* the error now by interspersing "wscript.sleep 100" commands.

CONCLUSION:
None, really - but since I can work around it on my machine machine (this is a "scripting script", not for general use) and it
doesn't seem to be a formal "mistake" on my part, I am happy for now.

One other note on this issue is that the script does take the hidden instance of IE down with it when it dies.

> ???

> I can't duplicate any error...

> IE5.5 sp2 on Win2K sp2 with WSH 5.6...

> --
> Michael Harris
> Microsoft.MVP.Scripting
> --

> > I have a VBScript which I use to open a specially sized/configured window
> on a remote site.

> > I have noticed that if I have IR open before running this script, it give
> an 80010108 error, presumably because the reference I have
> > made now applies to all instances of IE.  Is there a way I can open a new
> IE window while other instances of IE are already running
> > and not get this error?

> > ERROR BELOW
> > ---------------------------
> > Script: C:\bin\scriptlib\sitecheck.vbs
> > Line: 14
> > Char: 1
> > Error: The object invoked has disconnected from its clients.

> > Code: 80010108
> > Source:  (null)
> > ---------------------------
> > SCRIPT BELOW
> > ---------------------------
> > 1.  Dim Browser
> > 2.  Dim OldTimer
> > 3.  Dim SWidth
> > 4.  Dim SHeight
> > 5.  Set objShell = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
> > 6.  Set Browser = CreateObject("InternetExplorer.Application")
> > 7.  Browser.Navigate "about:blank"
> > 8.  Browser.Toolbar = False
> > 9.  Browser.StatusBar = False
> > 10.  Browser.Resizable = True
> > 11.  SWidth = Browser.Document.ParentWindow.Screen.AvailWidth
> > 12.  SHeight = Browser.Document.ParentWindow.Screen.AvailHeight
> > 13.  Browser.Width = 186
> > 14.  Browser.Height = 176
> > 15.  Browser.Left = (SWidth - Browser.Width) / 2
> > 16.  Browser.Top = (SHeight - Browser.Height) / 2
> > 17.  Browser.Navigate "http://www.domain.com"
> > 18.  wscript.sleep 2500
> > 19.  Browser.Visible = True

Tue, 22 Jun 2004 15:35:53 GMT
 Error 80010108 starting IE from VBScript with prior IE instances open
A suggestion...

Browser.Navigate "about:blank"
Do While Browser.ReadyState = 4 : WScript.Sleep 10 : Loop

I *always* use the Do While loop anytime the browser is navigated,
especially before any attempt to access the document object.

--
Michael Harris
Microsoft.MVP.Scripting

> hmm...Thanks for taking a look Michael; I looked more closely and can work

past the problem now even though it's still there.  I'm
Quote:
> posting the below to provide details for anyone else who may see a similar
event.

> I have XP Pro - with of course IE 6 and WSH 5.6; System is PIII-550, 320
MB RAM.

> I've gone back and characterized it a little better; in fact, I can now

control the appearance of the error :).
Quote:

> (1) Only occurs if I have multiple copies of IE open.

> (2) I am able to "move" the error by remming out Browser.x lines or adding

some - I haven't played with it a lot, but it does go up
Quote:
> and down, as if commands were being buffered and it consistently hits a
wall at some point.

> (3) I can also *eliminate* the error now by interspersing "wscript.sleep
100" commands.

> CONCLUSION:
> None, really - but since I can work around it on my machine machine (this

is a "scripting script", not for general use) and it
Quote:
> doesn't seem to be a formal "mistake" on my part, I am happy for now.

> One other note on this issue is that the script does take the hidden

instance of IE down with it when it dies.

---------------------------------

Quote:
> > ???

> > I can't duplicate any error...

> > IE5.5 sp2 on Win2K sp2 with WSH 5.6...

> > --
> > Michael Harris
> > Microsoft.MVP.Scripting
> > --

in

> > > I have a VBScript which I use to open a specially sized/configured
window
> > on a remote site.

> > > I have noticed that if I have IR open before running this script, it
give
> > an 80010108 error, presumably because the reference I have
> > > made now applies to all instances of IE.  Is there a way I can open a
new
> > IE window while other instances of IE are already running
> > > and not get this error?

> > > ERROR BELOW
> > > ---------------------------
> > > Script: C:\bin\scriptlib\sitecheck.vbs
> > > Line: 14
> > > Char: 1
> > > Error: The object invoked has disconnected from its clients.

> > > Code: 80010108
> > > Source:  (null)
> > > ---------------------------
> > > SCRIPT BELOW
> > > ---------------------------
> > > 1.  Dim Browser
> > > 2.  Dim OldTimer
> > > 3.  Dim SWidth
> > > 4.  Dim SHeight
> > > 5.  Set objShell = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
> > > 6.  Set Browser = CreateObject("InternetExplorer.Application")
> > > 7.  Browser.Navigate "about:blank"
> > > 8.  Browser.Toolbar = False
> > > 9.  Browser.StatusBar = False
> > > 10.  Browser.Resizable = True
> > > 11.  SWidth = Browser.Document.ParentWindow.Screen.AvailWidth
> > > 12.  SHeight = Browser.Document.ParentWindow.Screen.AvailHeight
> > > 13.  Browser.Width = 186
> > > 14.  Browser.Height = 176
> > > 15.  Browser.Left = (SWidth - Browser.Width) / 2
> > > 16.  Browser.Top = (SHeight - Browser.Height) / 2
> > > 17.  Browser.Navigate "http://www.domain.com"
> > > 18.  wscript.sleep 2500
> > > 19.  Browser.Visible = True

Thu, 24 Jun 2004 05:37:49 GMT
 Error 80010108 starting IE from VBScript with prior IE instances open
ooops ;-)...

Do Until Browser.ReadyState = 4 : WScript.Sleep 10 : Loop

--
Michael Harris
Microsoft.MVP.Scripting

> A suggestion...

> Browser.Navigate "about:blank"
> Do While Browser.ReadyState = 4 : WScript.Sleep 10 : Loop

> I *always* use the Do While loop anytime the browser is navigated,
> especially before any attempt to access the document object.

> --
> Michael Harris
> Microsoft.MVP.Scripting
> --

> > hmm...Thanks for taking a look Michael; I looked more closely and can
work
> past the problem now even though it's still there.  I'm
> > posting the below to provide details for anyone else who may see a
similar
> event.

> > I have XP Pro - with of course IE 6 and WSH 5.6; System is PIII-550, 320
> MB RAM.

> > I've gone back and characterized it a little better; in fact, I can now
> control the appearance of the error :).

> > (1) Only occurs if I have multiple copies of IE open.

> > (2) I am able to "move" the error by remming out Browser.x lines or
adding
> some - I haven't played with it a lot, but it does go up
> > and down, as if commands were being buffered and it consistently hits a
> wall at some point.

> > (3) I can also *eliminate* the error now by interspersing "wscript.sleep
> 100" commands.

> > CONCLUSION:
> > None, really - but since I can work around it on my machine machine
(this
> is a "scripting script", not for general use) and it
> > doesn't seem to be a formal "mistake" on my part, I am happy for now.

> > One other note on this issue is that the script does take the hidden
> instance of IE down with it when it dies.

> ---------------------------------

> > > ???

> > > I can't duplicate any error...

> > > IE5.5 sp2 on Win2K sp2 with WSH 5.6...

> > > --
> > > Michael Harris
> > > Microsoft.MVP.Scripting
> > > --

> in

> window
> > > on a remote site.

> give
> > > an 80010108 error, presumably because the reference I have
> new
> > > IE window while other instances of IE are already running

Thu, 24 Jun 2004 07:23:15 GMT
 Error 80010108 starting IE from VBScript with prior IE instances open
Suddenly, this makes perfect sense to me :).

I have seen repeated minor sluggish behavior on the part of the browser; I think it's probably obvious that I'm attempting to tell
it to do something well before it is ready for it.  On some occasions, the wscript.sleep 100 did nothing for me.

Sure enough, tried this and the next time I ran it I got nothing for almost 30 seconds - then it popped up with the window.  I think
It can be pretty confidently stated that the 80010108 error _can_ be a symptom of attempting to talk to a browser window which is
not yet ready for input.

Quote:
> ooops ;-)...

> Do Until Browser.ReadyState = 4 : WScript.Sleep 10 : Loop

> --
> Michael Harris
> Microsoft.MVP.Scripting
> --

> > A suggestion...

> > Browser.Navigate "about:blank"
> > Do While Browser.ReadyState = 4 : WScript.Sleep 10 : Loop

> > I *always* use the Do While loop anytime the browser is navigated,
> > especially before any attempt to access the document object.

> > --
> > Michael Harris
> > Microsoft.MVP.Scripting
> > --

> > > hmm...Thanks for taking a look Michael; I looked more closely and can
> work
> > past the problem now even though it's still there.  I'm
> > > posting the below to provide details for anyone else who may see a
> similar
> > event.

> > > I have XP Pro - with of course IE 6 and WSH 5.6; System is PIII-550, 320
> > MB RAM.

> > > I've gone back and characterized it a little better; in fact, I can now
> > control the appearance of the error :).

> > > (1) Only occurs if I have multiple copies of IE open.

> > > (2) I am able to "move" the error by remming out Browser.x lines or
> adding
> > some - I haven't played with it a lot, but it does go up
> > > and down, as if commands were being buffered and it consistently hits a
> > wall at some point.

> > > (3) I can also *eliminate* the error now by interspersing "wscript.sleep
> > 100" commands.

> > > CONCLUSION:
> > > None, really - but since I can work around it on my machine machine
> (this
> > is a "scripting script", not for general use) and it
> > > doesn't seem to be a formal "mistake" on my part, I am happy for now.

> > > One other note on this issue is that the script does take the hidden
> > instance of IE down with it when it dies.

> > ---------------------------------

> > in

> > window

> > give
> > new

Sat, 26 Jun 2004 07:02:06 GMT

1. Launch IE or Grab IE Instance

2. Opening an instance of IE through code

3. Newbie confused on Closing Open Instances of IE Objects

4. Newbie confused on Closing Open Instances of IE Objects

5. error -2147417848 (80010108)

6. Killing an App started by IE in turn started by VB App from VB

7. script opens default IE start page

8. Instantiating IE instance in XP with Cleint-Side VBScript Hangs

9. windows open and close problem between IE 4.0 and IE 5.0/5.5

10. Open IE, navigate to a page then exit IE.

11. Taking over prior IE window from script

12. Error 80010108 Automation Error