How to launch a script without the associated file type for .vbs
Author Message
 How to launch a script without the associated file type for .vbs

Hi,

I am using a vbs for my logon-script.
When a user removes or changes the file association for .vbs the script is
not launched correctly.
The user gets the message: There is no script engine for file extension
".vbs"
When running from command line: "wscript.exe MyScript.vbs" the same message
occurs.

I did try to configure it with some additional switched but i can't get a
working situation (without setting the file association for .vbs).
Is there a way to avoid this problem ? Or is this impossible by design ?

Regards,
Arjan

Fri, 13 May 2005 18:46:56 GMT
 How to launch a script without the associated file type for .vbs

Hi,

Have you tried,
cscript <your vbs-file>
or
wscript <your vbs-file>

Regards,
Stephan

Quote:
> Hi,

> I am using a vbs for my logon-script.
> When a user removes or changes the file association for .vbs the script is
> not launched correctly.
> The user gets the message: There is no script engine for file extension
> ".vbs"
> When running from command line: "wscript.exe MyScript.vbs" the same message
> occurs.

> I did try to configure it with some additional switched but i can't get a
> working situation (without setting the file association for .vbs).
> Is there a way to avoid this problem ? Or is this impossible by design ?

> Regards,
> Arjan

  vbee.vcf
< 1K Download

Fri, 13 May 2005 18:58:17 GMT
 How to launch a script without the associated file type for .vbs

Quote:
> Hi,

> I am using a vbs for my logon-script.
> When a user removes or changes the file association for .vbs the script is
> not launched correctly.
> The user gets the message: There is no script engine for file extension
> ".vbs"
> When running from command line: "wscript.exe MyScript.vbs" the same message
> occurs.

> I did try to configure it with some additional switched but i can't get a
> working situation (without setting the file association for .vbs).
> Is there a way to avoid this problem ? Or is this impossible by design ?

Hi

I am afraid this is impossible by design.

--
torgeir
Microsoft MVP Scripting and WMI

Fri, 13 May 2005 19:04:19 GMT
 How to launch a script without the associated file type for .vbs
...hurray...

I found the method to avoid the problem. By starting the script this way:
wscript.exe //e:VBScript MyScript.vbs

The //e switch indicates the engine to be used. Setting it to vbscript makes
the file-association unnecessary.

Regards,
Arjan

Quote:
> Hi,

> I am using a vbs for my logon-script.
> When a user removes or changes the file association for .vbs the script is
> not launched correctly.
> The user gets the message: There is no script engine for file extension
> ".vbs"
> When running from command line: "wscript.exe MyScript.vbs" the same
message
> occurs.

> I did try to configure it with some additional switched but i can't get a
> working situation (without setting the file association for .vbs).
> Is there a way to avoid this problem ? Or is this impossible by design ?

> Regards,
> Arjan

Fri, 13 May 2005 21:05:12 GMT

1. calling a secong XX.vbs without launching a new command windows

2. Associating the WSH with the type .ws files

3. Running a .vbs script from within a .vbs script

4. associating a file extension with a vbs

5. Using the ShellExecute to launch a file with associated application

6. Launching a file with it's associated application

7. Please Help: VB5 Needs to know name of associated file launching it

8. Launch associated file's program

9. How to launch associated program with file ???

10. How to launch associated program with file ???

11. Launching 6 .vbs scripts simultaneously from a single script

12. Launching 6 .vbs scripts simultaneously from a single script