SQL Server Field Descriptions and Microsoft Access Field Descriptions
Author Message
 SQL Server Field Descriptions and Microsoft Access Field Descriptions

For the county I work for, we first create ALL databases using MS Access.
Since we use our own naming scheme, I am in a bit of a jam.  The client, as
well as my boss, has asked me to use our naming scheme but place the
original field names in the description position.  This is just fine with MS
Access, but developers don't have access to the description field in the SQL
Server DB.  Our DBA has asked me to provide him with a script that can pull
the description out of the Access DB and place it into the SQL Server DB.
Anyone have any clues about how I can access these properties?

Mythran

Mon, 04 Oct 2004 23:46:13 GMT
 SQL Server Field Descriptions and Microsoft Access Field Descriptions
The "Description"  portion of a field definition is not an Exposed object
(in Access2000 at least).  It would appear your only workaround would be to
maintain a table bearing this info.  It would be easy to populate the table
with the TableName, ColName values that you could then manually enter the
Description.

Quote:
> For the county I work for, we first create ALL databases using MS Access.
> Since we use our own naming scheme, I am in a bit of a jam.  The client,
as
> well as my boss, has asked me to use our naming scheme but place the
> original field names in the description position.  This is just fine with
MS
> Access, but developers don't have access to the description field in the
SQL
> Server DB.  Our DBA has asked me to provide him with a script that can
pull
> the description out of the Access DB and place it into the SQL Server DB.
> Anyone have any clues about how I can access these properties?

> Mythran

Tue, 05 Oct 2004 01:15:19 GMT
 SQL Server Field Descriptions and Microsoft Access Field Descriptions
Found out the answer.

I am able to view the description for each field (in access2k).  I haven't
tested it in SQL Server yet, but we shall see :)

Hopefully....now, how do I go about updating??  Hmm.....next question I will
look for the answer, if I can't find it, I will post another message.

Mythran

Tue, 05 Oct 2004 02:03:08 GMT

1. Table Description/Field Description

2. Modifying Format and Description properties on SQL Server field

3. Fields property for field description?

4. saving a description to a access table field?

5. Querying Field Descriptions in Access Database

6. description fields of access table

7. Description of field in access

8. Reading ACCESS FIELD DESCRIPTION in VB

9. Populating MS Access field description

10. How to get Access Field descriptions using ADO?

11. Reading the Access Description for a field in VB6

12. Access Table Description fields