open a text file in VBScript having 500k characters in length and 5GB
Author Message
 open a text file in VBScript having 500k characters in length and 5GB

hi VBScript guru
I have a concern of opening a text flat file in
scripting .vbs file having 500k characters in length and
the file size of over 4-5GB. Can VBScript handle opening
such a text file by using FileSystemObject, parse it and
transform it. i believe that VBScript that running a
vbscript file would hang the machine or crash it.
But before i make any conclusions i need to first confirm
from all the VBScript gurus.

Expecting reply anxiously
Cheers
Siddharth

Sat, 20 Aug 2005 01:35:14 GMT
 open a text file in VBScript having 500k characters in length and 5GB
Hi Siddharth

I'm not quite sure of your question. Anyway,

set f=fso.opentextfile("my_6gb_file.txt")
msgbox f.readall

consumes 3~4 seconds in my case. So the file size itself should have no
problem. However if you some heavy job like loops, you may need
/wscript.sleep 1/ within the loops. It has been unbelievably nice in my
case.

--
Have a nice day.
Han Pohwan, Microsoft MVP(ASP), Korea

Quote:
> hi VBScript guru
> I have a concern of opening a text flat file in
> scripting .vbs file having 500k characters in length and
> the file size of over 4-5GB. Can VBScript handle opening
> such a text file by using FileSystemObject, parse it and
> transform it. i believe that VBScript that running a
> vbscript file would hang the machine or crash it.
> But before i make any conclusions i need to first confirm
> from all the VBScript gurus.

> Expecting reply anxiously
> Cheers
> Siddharth

Sat, 20 Aug 2005 08:42:10 GMT
 open a text file in VBScript having 500k characters in length and 5GB
hi ,
to make the question more simpler, can vbscript open a
fixed width flat file(ASCII text file) having 500,000
characters in length and the 10 million records, equalling
file size of 16 gigs

expecting answer anxiously
Cheers
Siddharth Sharangpani

Sat, 20 Aug 2005 09:09:24 GMT
 open a text file in VBScript having 500k characters in length and 5GB
Hi Siddharth

DOO, I confused mb and gb. I actually tried 6mb data instead of 6gb. 1000
times bigger! Sorry. Where did you get it :) I cannot imagine anyone can use
such huge text file without database. Anyway if I were you, I will try to
apply ADO instead of FSO against the text file.

--
Have a nice day.
Han Pohwan, Microsoft MVP(ASP), Korea

Quote:
> hi ,
> to make the question more simpler, can vbscript open a
> fixed width flat file(ASCII text file) having 500,000
> characters in length and the 10 million records, equalling
> file size of 16 gigs

> expecting answer anxiously
> Cheers
> Siddharth Sharangpani

Sat, 20 Aug 2005 09:33:47 GMT
 open a text file in VBScript having 500k characters in length and 5GB
Hi Siddharth ,

You can also use MSDE (SQL Server Desktop Engine ) as the Database Engine
for Your Application, which is a free download.

For more information about MSDE, please refer to the following Knowledge
Base article:

INFO: When to Choose MSDE 2000 as the Database Engine for Your Application
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;321518

Regards,

Felix Wu
=============

--------------------

Quote:
>Subject: Re: open a text file in VBScript having 500k characters in length
and 5GB
>Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2003 10:33:47 +0900

>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.scripting.vbscript
Quote:

>Hi Siddharth

>DOO, I confused mb and gb. I actually tried 6mb data instead of 6gb. 1000
>times bigger! Sorry. Where did you get it :) I cannot imagine anyone can
use
>such huge text file without database. Anyway if I were you, I will try to
>apply ADO instead of FSO against the text file.

>--
>Have a nice day.
>Han Pohwan, Microsoft MVP(ASP), Korea

>> hi ,
>> to make the question more simpler, can vbscript open a
>> fixed width flat file(ASCII text file) having 500,000
>> characters in length and the 10 million records, equalling
>> file size of 16 gigs

>> expecting answer anxiously
>> Cheers
>> Siddharth Sharangpani

Sat, 20 Aug 2005 10:42:36 GMT

1. Open fixed length text file into a template?

2. Having problems with sorting character or text fields

3. Fixed character length in a Text Box.

4. Remove the special character from Text file in VBScript

5. Editing large files >5GB

6. text in a text box by file open of a txt file is not the same as having typed in the text box?

7. Building a fixed length ASCII text file out of wrapping file

8. opening / saving files with MS rich text box control (viewing open files)

9. Newbie: creating a fixed-line-length file from a variable-line-length file

10. Open a text file using vbscript

11. VBScript - Open text file

12. Newbie at VBScript - how to open a text file