creating msi package
Author Message
 creating msi package

I am not sure if this is the right news group to ask this but here goes.

I have an .ocx that we need to package as a .msi to roll out to the users.
This is supposed to be done with Visual Studio Installer. I am confused, is
this in Visual Stuido? Do I use VB? Is it  different software all together??

Thanks in advance

Sun, 08 May 2005 00:30:03 GMT
 creating msi package

Quote:

> I am not sure if this is the right news group to ask this but here goes.

> I have an .ocx that we need to package as a .msi to roll out to the users.
> This is supposed to be done with Visual Studio Installer. I am confused, is
> this in Visual Stuido? Do I use VB? Is it  different software all together??

Hi

A more relevant group for MSI questions:
microsoft.public.platformsdk.msi

Anyway, take a look at
http://www.installsite.org/

e.g. in the TOC at the left side:
Windows Installer/Authoring Tools

More info:

Microsoft Visual Studio Installer 1.1
http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/downloads/tools/vsi11/default.asp

- and -

MSDN Home >  MSDN Library >  Visual Studio >
Visual Studio Installer Documentation
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/vsinstal/html/veovrvisualstud...

Some extracts from the Web page "izfree: Free Tools for Windows Installer"
(http://izfree.sourceforge.net):

<qoute>
izfree assumes that you are already familiar with Windows Installer and the MSI
SDK documentation. If you are completely new to Windows Installer, you might
want to start with Visual Studio Installer and experiment with creating some
simple installations and examining the msi with Orca.

(snip)
About Windows Installer
When you consider the varied needs of install programs and the method by which
they interact with the system to perform updates, you can easily imagine that a
complete specifications of the actions of install programs covers quite a bit of

territory. What follows in this section is a summary of Windows Installer. For
more information see the SDK documentation linked at the end of this document.

Windows Installer is a system component provided by Microsoft to address the
problem of 'DLL Hell' and poor installation programs. Windows Installer is
available as a redistributable for Windows 95, Windows 98, and Windows NT 4.0.
Windows Installer is included in Windows Me, Windows 2000 and Windows XP.

Use of Windows Installer is required for Windows 2000 logo certification and
will continue to be a standard installation technology for Microsoft platforms
with XP, .NET and beyond.

Windows Installer uses a database of information about the application to be
installed to determine what resources to install from source media onto the
target machine. Resources may be files, fonts, registry entries, COM servers, NT

services, and any other piece of data that is required by your application. The
database is stored in a file with the extension '.msi'.

Windows Installer caches the database onto the target machine when a product is
installed. The cached database can be used to perform repair operations in case
of accidental deletion or corruption of resources. The cached database is also
used to remove the application completely, or to install or remove specific
features provided by the application.

External Resources

Visual Studio Installer
(http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/downloads/vsi11/default.asp)

A free add-on for Microsoft Visual Studio users. It provides a GUI environment
for editing a simple installation containing files, COM objects, registry
entries, etc. It does not expose the more powerful features of Windows Installer

technology such as custom actions, custom dialogs, Win32 service control and
installation. This is a good free tool provided you already own Studio and your
installation needs are simply copying files, modifying the registry and
registration of COM objects.

Platform SDK Update
(http://www.microsoft.com/msdownload/platformsdk/sdkupdate/)

After release 1.2 of Windows Installer, it was packaged with the Platform SDK.
As new releases of the Platform SDK are issued, new versions of Windows
Installer are released. As of December, 2001 the Platform SDK included version
2.0 of Windows Installer. The Platform SDK documentation describes the
additional features included in successive versions of Windows Installer.

The Platform SDK installs Orca.msi as with the version 1.2 of the MSI SDK. Use
Orca.msi to install the Orca database editor.

MSI SDK: Samples, Tools, and Documentation for Windows Installer 1.2
(http://msdn.microsoft.com/downloads/default.asp?URL=/code/sample.asp?...)

After downloading and installing the SDK, install Orca.msi to get the Orca
database editor. Orca.msi is located in the '%MSSDK%\bin' directory after you
install the Platform SDK.
</qoute>

--
torgeir
Microsoft MVP Scripting and WMI

Sun, 08 May 2005 03:19:00 GMT

1. JScript from an msi, Windows Installer package

2. Problem with VBScript SUB for uninstalling .MSI packages

3. Installing MSI packages

4. Problem with VBScript SUB for uninstalling .MSI packages

5. Distributing Reports using MSI packages

6. Build an MSI package of my app

7. HOWTO: Check return values, boot status and (de)install status of MSI installations (Was: Problem with VBScript SUB for uninstalling .MSI packages)

8. HOWTO: Check return values, boot status and (de)install status of MSI installations (Was: Problem with VBScript SUB for uninstalling .MSI packages)

9. scripten.msi MSI Installer would be very nice

10. Customise UI in MSI files created by Visual Studio

11. Creating VB6 MSI installer via VSI or VS.NET

12. COM+ Automatically Creating MSI Proxy File?