2nd Post: What's in the address line...
Author Message
 2nd Post: What's in the address line...

Hello, all.  Was wondering if I can get/read the contents of the address
line?  We have several web apps that run on one server, and each application
has a DNS entry on our DNS server.  However, when a user enters an
application name, right now, it first loads our "Application Launch" page,
which is basically a page with a list of all our apps.  A user can then
click on an app. link to go to that particular application.  However, I'd
like to go directly to the specific app when a user enters the application
name in the address line.  Our Network Admin folks don't understand IIS all
that well, that's why I use the Launch page concept, so from there my users
can click to their specific application.  Hence, I'm trying to read the
contents of the address line, to "get" what application they typed, and I'll
redirect them to that application.  Or............if anyone could suggest
how to get the DNS thing working to understand all of my sites on the web
server, that would help also.

Hope I didn't confuse anyone...Thanks!

Roz

Fri, 01 Jul 2005 22:23:01 GMT
 2nd Post: What's in the address line...
Reading the address line values is basically the same as reading form values

http://www.somesite.com?app=app1

<%

app = request("app")

select case app
    case "app1" : do this
    case "app2" : do that
end select

%>

Anything else - like http://www.somesite.com/app1 - would not work unless you configured IIS with a virtual directory of "app1" or
that physical directory existed.  However, that said, using virtual directories is a great way to go.

If you did decide to use dns, and you configured IIS appropriately to use something like http://app1.somesite.com, then you could
read the URL like:

<%

url = request.servervariables("SERVER_NAME") 'Use exactly as shown
ar = split(url, ".")
app = ar(0)

%>

Quote:

> Hello, all.  Was wondering if I can get/read the contents of the address
> line?  We have several web apps that run on one server, and each application
> has a DNS entry on our DNS server.  However, when a user enters an
> application name, right now, it first loads our "Application Launch" page,
> which is basically a page with a list of all our apps.  A user can then
> click on an app. link to go to that particular application.  However, I'd
> like to go directly to the specific app when a user enters the application
> name in the address line.  Our Network Admin folks don't understand IIS all
> that well, that's why I use the Launch page concept, so from there my users
> can click to their specific application.  Hence, I'm trying to read the
> contents of the address line, to "get" what application they typed, and I'll
> redirect them to that application.  Or............if anyone could suggest
> how to get the DNS thing working to understand all of my sites on the web
> server, that would help also.

> Hope I didn't confuse anyone...Thanks!

> Roz

Sat, 02 Jul 2005 02:07:36 GMT
 2nd Post: What's in the address line...
Will try Glenn.

Much thanks!

Roz

Quote:
> Reading the address line values is basically the same as reading form
values

> http://www.somesite.com?app=app1

> <%

> app = request("app")

> select case app
>     case "app1" : do this
>     case "app2" : do that
> end select

> %>

> Anything else - like http://www.somesite.com/app1 - would not work unless

you configured IIS with a virtual directory of "app1" or
Quote:
> that physical directory existed.  However, that said, using virtual

directories is a great way to go.
Quote:

> If you did decide to use dns, and you configured IIS appropriately to use

something like http://app1.somesite.com, then you could
Quote:
> read the URL like:

> <%

> url = request.servervariables("SERVER_NAME") 'Use exactly as shown
> ar = split(url, ".")
> app = ar(0)

> %>

> > Hello, all.  Was wondering if I can get/read the contents of the address
> > line?  We have several web apps that run on one server, and each
application
> > has a DNS entry on our DNS server.  However, when a user enters an
> > application name, right now, it first loads our "Application Launch"
page,
> > which is basically a page with a list of all our apps.  A user can then
> > click on an app. link to go to that particular application.  However,
I'd
> > like to go directly to the specific app when a user enters the
application
> > name in the address line.  Our Network Admin folks don't understand IIS
all
> > that well, that's why I use the Launch page concept, so from there my
users
> > can click to their specific application.  Hence, I'm trying to read the
> > contents of the address line, to "get" what application they typed, and
I'll
> > redirect them to that application.  Or............if anyone could
suggest
> > how to get the DNS thing working to understand all of my sites on the
web
> > server, that would help also.

> > Hope I didn't confuse anyone...Thanks!

> > Roz

Sat, 02 Jul 2005 07:32:09 GMT

1. Line Break - 2nd Post

2. (2nd Post) BASIC programming advice needed: PKWARE'S compression utilities front end application - PROGRAMMING PROJECT

3. why doesn't 2nd text line appear in ps file

4. When I merge 2 random access files the 2nd file doesn't line up correctly

5. Free Software License in exchange for 2 lines in your usenet post's signature

6. What's in the address line...

7. 2nd Post: IFRAME DIVs and form fields

8. 2nd post - Stopping a service

9. showModalDialog not returning any value....2nd post.

10. require form before dowload - 2nd post

11. Filtering words - 2nd post

12. 2nd Post: IFRAME DIVs and form fields