script to join domain.
Author Message
 script to join domain.

Hello all,

I am trying to put together a script to change machine name and then join
the system to a domain. I have the first part, but I am having problems with
the second. I found alot of documentation for netdom 2.0 but have had no
luck finding it to download. Does anyone know another way to add a machine
to the domain? or does anyone know where I can find netdom.exe 2.0?....

Any help is very much appreciated.

Thanks,

-Jose

Fri, 19 Aug 2005 04:18:43 GMT
 script to join domain.

Quote:

> I am trying to put together a script to change machine name and then join
> the system to a domain. I have the first part, but I am having problems with
> the second. I found alot of documentation for netdom 2.0 but have had no
> luck finding it to download. Does anyone know another way to add a machine
> to the domain? or does anyone know where I can find netdom.exe 2.0?....

Hi

For WinXP or better, you have the JoinDomainOrWorkGroup and the Rename method in

the Win32_ComputerSystem class.

Rename Method in Class Win32_ComputerSystem
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/wmisdk/wmi/rename_method_in_c...

JoinDomainOrWorkGroup Method in Class Win32_ComputerSystem
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/wmisdk/wmi/joindomainorworkgr...

Technet Script Center >  Computer Management:

Join Computer to a Domain
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/scriptcenter/compmgmt/scrcm31.asp

Rename a Computer and Computer Account
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/scriptcenter/compmgmt/scrcm36.asp

For pre-WinXP OS (and WinXP as well):

The JoinDom freeware utility found at tip 5956 at
http://www.jsiinc.com/reghack.htm can be used.

Or you can use the command line utility netdom.exe from MS.

Latest version of netdom.exe can be downloaded from here:

Windows 2000 SP3 Support Tools
http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/downloads/servicepacks/sp3/suppo...

There came one updated version with SP2 as well, but I would be very surprised
if the SP3 netdom version do not work on pre SP3 computers.

More info here as well:

Subject: Re: Join Workgroup then join domain, via WSH?
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.scripting.wsh
Date: 2002-09-09 14:03:29 PST
http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=3D7CFEC8.556EDB2B%40hydro.com

Some notes:

If you just have renamed the computer, you will need a reboot before you join
the computer to the domain.

Netdom.exe needs to be run with an account that is member (directly or
indirectly) of the Administrators group on the local computer, unless using the
/UserO switch.

The server service needs to be available and not disabled or removed for netdom
to work, see this thread for more info about this:

Subject: Re: Join Computer to a Domain with NetDom
http://groups.google.com/groups?th=a180a5e6b463d276

--
torgeir
Administration scripting examples and an ONLINE version of the 1328 page

Fri, 19 Aug 2005 14:21:10 GMT

1. Join Workgroup then join domain, via WSH?

2. domain pruefen domain provider es domain registrieren domain angebot no domain

3. Add/join computer to Windows 2000 domain

4. Windows NT Machine, join Domain through VBS

5. Join Computer to a Domain

6. Joining Domain and Verifying it ....

7. Check The Right Domain after joining it ...

8. Joining A Domain

9. Joining a WINNT Domain using VBScript

10. Join a Win 2000 Professional to Win 2000 Domain

11. Changing machine name and joining domain

12. Join Domain