How to Learn VBScript ?
Author Message
 How to Learn VBScript ?

I want to learn VBScript, do you have any suggestions for a good book to
learn VBScript ?  Should I learn VBScript first or Visual Basic ?  Im a
little confused between the difference between Visual Basic and VBScript.

Thanks

Rob

Fri, 27 Jun 2003 20:59:13 GMT
 How to Learn VBScript ?
Robert,

Visual Basic refers to several different things:

1) Visual Basic is a programming language specified by Microsoft.

2) Visual Basic is also the name given to the software provided by Microsoft
which allows you to write programs in the Visual Basic language.  It is this
which you can buy off the shelf in a box.

3) Visual Basic Script is a cut down version of the Visual Basic language.
It is broadly similar, but less powerful.  It is also implemented
differently - a program written with VB will execute on its own on a Windows
PC without requiring extra software; a program written with VB Script will
execute in an environment (such as a web browser) which is has a VB Script
'Engine'.

I would recommend learning VB first as it comes with a full, easy-to-use
editor and is probably a little easier to start writing and debugging.
Also, it would be easier to learn VB Script after learning VB than the other
way round.

It is also worth noting that Office 97 / 2000 contain a version of VB called
VBA (VB for Applications) which is much less cut down than VB script and
(especially with Office 2000) very close to the full VB product.  It might
be easier, and possibly cheaper, for you to start learning VB by using Excel
or Word.

James

Quote:
> I want to learn VBScript, do you have any suggestions for a good book to
> learn VBScript ?  Should I learn VBScript first or Visual Basic ?  Im a
> little confused between the difference between Visual Basic and VBScript.

> Thanks

> Rob

Fri, 27 Jun 2003 21:50:45 GMT
 How to Learn VBScript ?
I, too, am looking at VBScript in order to facilitate administrative
functions (like WSH).  I would agree that once you have VB, VBScript is a
snap.  Do you, think, however, for my purposes (and limited time) it would
be a bad idea to just look at VBScripting?  Is there someone you know who
does distance learning on this?  I am also interested in PERL.

Quote:
> Robert,

> Visual Basic refers to several different things:

> 1) Visual Basic is a programming language specified by Microsoft.

> 2) Visual Basic is also the name given to the software provided by
Microsoft
> which allows you to write programs in the Visual Basic language.  It is
this
> which you can buy off the shelf in a box.

> 3) Visual Basic Script is a cut down version of the Visual Basic language.
> It is broadly similar, but less powerful.  It is also implemented
> differently - a program written with VB will execute on its own on a
Windows
> PC without requiring extra software; a program written with VB Script will
> execute in an environment (such as a web browser) which is has a VB Script
> 'Engine'.

> I would recommend learning VB first as it comes with a full, easy-to-use
> editor and is probably a little easier to start writing and debugging.
> Also, it would be easier to learn VB Script after learning VB than the
other
> way round.

> It is also worth noting that Office 97 / 2000 contain a version of VB
called
> VBA (VB for Applications) which is much less cut down than VB script and
> (especially with Office 2000) very close to the full VB product.  It might
> be easier, and possibly cheaper, for you to start learning VB by using
Excel
> or Word.

> James

> > I want to learn VBScript, do you have any suggestions for a good book to
> > learn VBScript ?  Should I learn VBScript first or Visual Basic ?  Im a
> > little confused between the difference between Visual Basic and
VBScript.

> > Thanks

> > Rob

Fri, 27 Jun 2003 23:26:42 GMT
 How to Learn VBScript ?
I'm learning VB Script. I don't know VB, and have not done any progamming since
Turbo Pascal at college in 1995.

Aaarrrgh!

One of the hard parts is that you don't only need VB Script. You also need SQL
for the database functions.

You get error messages from VB, ADODB & the database's SQL engine.

Try "Beginning Active Server Pages 3.0", published by Wrox. http://www.wrox.com
They have other books which follow on from it.

Part of my problem is that I have to produce the goods before having time to
learn & understand what I'm doing.

Best of luck,

David Martin
http://info.mountains.net.au/david

Quote:
I, too, am looking at VBScript in order to facilitate administrative
functions (like WSH).  I would agree that once you have VB, VBScript is a
snap.  Do you, think, however, for my purposes (and limited time) it would
be a bad idea to just look at VBScripting?  Is there someone you know who
does distance learning on this?  I am also interested in PERL.

> Robert,

> Visual Basic refers to several different things:

> 1) Visual Basic is a programming language specified by Microsoft.

> 2) Visual Basic is also the name given to the software provided by
Microsoft
> which allows you to write programs in the Visual Basic language.  It is
this
> which you can buy off the shelf in a box.

> 3) Visual Basic Script is a cut down version of the Visual Basic language.
> It is broadly similar, but less powerful.  It is also implemented
> differently - a program written with VB will execute on its own on a
Windows
> PC without requiring extra software; a program written with VB Script will
> execute in an environment (such as a web browser) which is has a VB Script
> 'Engine'.

> I would recommend learning VB first as it comes with a full, easy-to-use
> editor and is probably a little easier to start writing and debugging.
> Also, it would be easier to learn VB Script after learning VB than the
other
> way round.

> It is also worth noting that Office 97 / 2000 contain a version of VB
called
> VBA (VB for Applications) which is much less cut down than VB script and
> (especially with Office 2000) very close to the full VB product.  It might
> be easier, and possibly cheaper, for you to start learning VB by using
Excel
> or Word.

> James

> > I want to learn VBScript, do you have any suggestions for a good book to
> > learn VBScript ?  Should I learn VBScript first or Visual Basic ?  Im a
> > little confused between the difference between Visual Basic and
VBScript.

> > Thanks

> > Rob

.

Sat, 28 Jun 2003 12:09:05 GMT
 How to Learn VBScript ?
"VBScript Programmer's Reference" from Wrox Press gives a good overview of
the language as well as the variety of host contexts in which it can be
used...

--
Michael Harris
Microsoft.MVP.Scripting

> I want to learn VBScript, do you have any suggestions for a good book to
> learn VBScript ?  Should I learn VBScript first or Visual Basic ?  Im a
> little confused between the difference between Visual Basic and VBScript.

> Thanks

> Rob

Sat, 28 Jun 2003 14:03:39 GMT
 How to Learn VBScript ?
Also, Scripting Windows 2000 is a great title for novices.

Quote:
> "VBScript Programmer's Reference" from Wrox Press gives a good overview of
> the language as well as the variety of host contexts in which it can be
> used...

> --
> Michael Harris
> Microsoft.MVP.Scripting
> --

> Please do not email questions - post them to the newsgroup instead.
> --

> > I want to learn VBScript, do you have any suggestions for a good book to
> > learn VBScript ?  Should I learn VBScript first or Visual Basic ?  Im a
> > little confused between the difference between Visual Basic and
VBScript.

> > Thanks

> > Rob

Sun, 29 Jun 2003 02:21:16 GMT

1. Preload Object Error (Need Help, Trying to Learn VBScript)

2. REVIEW: "Learning VBScript", Paul Lomax

3. I Want to learn VBscript

4. Want to learn VBScript

5. I want to learn VBScript

6. Perl programmer trying to learn VBScript Regex

7. Wants To Learn VBScript

8. Caanyone direct me to a good place to learn VBscript.

9. Newbie needs to learn VBScript and Objects really fast!

10. learning VBScript

11. Learning VBscript

12. VBScript Learning?