Add Computer Objects to Particular OU?
Author Message
 Add Computer Objects to Particular OU?

Does anyone know of a way for newly added computer accounts (those added at
the client side), to be added to a particular OU once they are added.  What
I am looking for is a way for a script to be scheduled to run on a frequent
basis to look in the Generic Computers Container, determine what the IP
Address/Subnet is, and then move the Computer Object to the appropriate OU
based on the IP Address/Subnetthat was determined.  We currently have
Resource domains for each of our subnets (12) and we have determined that we
are going to keep this organizational structure in OU form in our Active
Directory migration. Has anyone done this or something similar?  Is there a
better way to do what I am looking to do?  Do you have any ideas on the
right direction?  Thanks for your help.

Rob McShinsky

Fri, 20 May 2005 23:46:45 GMT
 Add Computer Objects to Particular OU?
I was working on a similar idea for my company and was trying to use
netdom.exe with vbs. Unfortunately I was pulled onto another project before
I could really look into it fully.

Quote:
> Does anyone know of a way for newly added computer accounts (those added
at
> the client side), to be added to a particular OU once they are added.
What
> I am looking for is a way for a script to be scheduled to run on a
frequent
> basis to look in the Generic Computers Container, determine what the IP
> Address/Subnet is, and then move the Computer Object to the appropriate OU
> based on the IP Address/Subnetthat was determined.  We currently have
> Resource domains for each of our subnets (12) and we have determined that
we
> are going to keep this organizational structure in OU form in our Active
> Directory migration. Has anyone done this or something similar?  Is there
> better way to do what I am looking to do?  Do you have any ideas on the
> right direction?  Thanks for your help.

> Rob McShinsky

Sat, 21 May 2005 03:10:12 GMT
 Add Computer Objects to Particular OU?
I'm just about to look into this myself. We use ghost console to
rollout fresh images to all of the computers in our labs, and when
they get re-added to the domain automatically it puts them in the
default computer accout container in the active directory. It's only
going to be a crappy little VBScript, but i'll post it once its done
if i remember.

Cheers

Quote:

> I was working on a similar idea for my company and was trying to use
> netdom.exe with vbs. Unfortunately I was pulled onto another project before
> I could really look into it fully.

> > Does anyone know of a way for newly added computer accounts (those added
>  at
> > the client side), to be added to a particular OU once they are added.
>  What
> > I am looking for is a way for a script to be scheduled to run on a
>  frequent
> > basis to look in the Generic Computers Container, determine what the IP
> > Address/Subnet is, and then move the Computer Object to the appropriate OU
> > based on the IP Address/Subnetthat was determined.  We currently have
> > Resource domains for each of our subnets (12) and we have determined that
>  we
> > are going to keep this organizational structure in OU form in our Active
> > Directory migration. Has anyone done this or something similar?  Is there
> > better way to do what I am looking to do?  Do you have any ideas on the
> > right direction?  Thanks for your help.

> > Rob McShinsky

Sat, 21 May 2005 12:10:03 GMT

1. Adding Computer Objects to Particular OU

2. Ghost Sysprep XP add computer to domain inside OU

3. Returning OU based on Computer object

4. Computers from OU and then IP of those computers

5. Computers from OU and then IP of those computers

6. how to make script execute function only for particular OU

7. pre-adding computer objects to AD

8. Qualite image BMP ou TIF ou JPG ?

9. Access vers SQL/serveur ou Oracle : quels pi├Ęges ou conseils

10. Acquisition sur PC - serie ou // ou ...?

11. Determining which OU a Computer Belongs to at Logon

12. Locating a Computers Organizational Unit (OU)