How to debug a COM component (VB DLL)?
Author Message
 How to debug a COM component (VB DLL)?

I am writing a component (ActiveX DLL, VB5 SP3) to be used with ASP.  Due to
the project specifics, I need to debug it within IIS environment.  Is there
a way to run the component as a VB project and have it accessible to ASP?
What are my options besides restarting the IIS and recompiling the dll on
every code change?
Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.
If responding to the NG, please kindly CC the reply to
alexs1(AT)ix(DOT)netcom(DOT)com.

Tue, 23 Jul 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 How to debug a COM component (VB DLL)?
[followups set to microsoft.public.inetserver.asp.components]

Try the following article:

http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q200/9/98.asp

HTH.

--
G. Andrew Duthie, MCSD
--

Quote:
> I am writing a component (ActiveX DLL, VB5 SP3) to be used with ASP.  Due
> the project specifics, I need to debug it within IIS environment.  Is
there
> a way to run the component as a VB project and have it accessible to ASP?
> What are my options besides restarting the IIS and recompiling the dll on
> every code change?
> Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.
> If responding to the NG, please kindly CC the reply to
> alexs1(AT)ix(DOT)netcom(DOT)com.

Tue, 23 Jul 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 How to debug a COM component (VB DLL)?

Quote:
>I am writing a component (ActiveX DLL, VB5 SP3) to be used with ASP.  Due to
>the project specifics, I need to debug it within IIS environment.  Is there
>a way to run the component as a VB project and have it accessible to ASP?
>What are my options besides restarting the IIS and recompiling the dll on
>every code change?
>Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

In VB, open up the project properties and click on the debugging tab.
Select the third option and enter the URL os a page that uses the
component.

When you run the project (click the blue triangle on the toolbar), VB
will compile the DLL, but not create a separate file or register it. It
will open a browser window and let you use the pages as though the
component were installed. When you have tried it, go back to VB and stop
it. You can modify the code and rerun it immediately without restarting
the server.

Alan

--
Alan Silver
Please remove the "{*filter*}ferret" if replying by e-mail

Sat, 27 Jul 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. Debugging VB COM components?

2. Debugging VB COM Components used in ASP

3. debugging compiled VB com+ components

4. Can't Create ActiveX Component While running DLL in VB for debugging

5. Can't debug ASP/COM components from VB6

6. Solution (hack) for debugging ASP com component under Win20000

7. Calling debugged component from Com+

8. debugging com+ components

9. Returning strings from VB COM components to C++ Isapi DLL

10. VB COM component in Win2k Component Services

11. ActiveX DLL Component testing/Debugging (passing collections in immediate window)

12. Call VB DLL or COM object from within VB COM object or EXE