Change the Last Modify and Last Access date
Author Message
 Change the Last Modify and Last Access date

I have a customer who has a disk where about 120GB of old files are located,
We think about 1% of these files are being accessed on a day to day basis.
We want to archive the "non-active" files off the disk.

I would like to set the last access and last modifed dates to the current
date on all files on the disk, then after a week or so search for files with
a last access or modify dates later then the one I have set previously.

I've found a function that can retrieve the folder creation date, etc. But
not much on files except copy, delete, move etc.

I would like to know where I can find information on manipulating these
attributes.

If you have a better idea, let me know
Thanks in advance.

Tue, 01 Nov 2005 22:02:05 GMT
 Change the Last Modify and Last Access date

Quote:

> I have a customer who has a disk where about 120GB of old files are
> located, We think about 1% of these files are being accessed on a day
> to day basis. We want to archive the "non-active" files off the disk.

> I would like to set the last access and last modifed dates to the
> current date on all files on the disk, then after a week or so search
> for files with a last access or modify dates later then the one I
> have set previously.

> I've found a function that can retrieve the folder creation date,
> etc. But not much on files except copy, delete, move etc.

> I would like to know where I can find information on manipulating
> these attributes.

> If you have a better idea, let me know
> Thanks in advance.

Hi, Justin
Have you tried reading the scripting documentation for the file object?
Properties:
Attributes Property | DateCreated Property | DateLastAccessed Property | DateLastModified Property | Drive Property | Name Property
| ParentFolder Property | Path Property | ShortName Property | ShortPath Property | Size Property | Type Property

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/script56/html/jsobjfile.asp?f...

-Paul Randall

Tue, 01 Nov 2005 23:47:05 GMT
 Change the Last Modify and Last Access date

Quote:

> I have a customer who has a disk where about 120GB of old files are
> located, We think about 1% of these files are being accessed on a day
> to day basis. We want to archive the "non-active" files off the disk.

> I would like to set the last access and last modifed dates to the
> current date on all files on the disk, then after a week or so search
> for files with a last access or modify dates later then the one I
> have set previously.

> I've found a function that can retrieve the folder creation date,
> etc. But not much on files except copy, delete, move etc.

> I would like to know where I can find information on manipulating
> these attributes.

You need a file touch utility to reset the file dates.  Here's the first
free one I found (never used one myself)...

Goldseal Studios - Downloads
http://www.goldsealstudios.com/downloads.html

The use the methods, collections, and objects provided by FSO
(Scripting.FileSystemObject) to check the dates...

Download details: Windows Script Documentation
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=01592c48-207...

--
Michael Harris
Microsoft.MVP.Scripting

Technet Script Center
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/scriptcenter/default.asp

Wed, 02 Nov 2005 09:53:18 GMT
 Change the Last Modify and Last Access date
On Fri, 16 May 2003 09:02:05 -0500, "Justin Tyme" <jit at aol.com>

Quote:
>We want to archive the "non-active" files off the disk.

>I would like to set the last access and last modifed dates to the current
>date on all files on the disk, then after a week or so search for files with
>a last access or modify dates later then the one I have set previously.

Why do you need to reset the file dates ? Couldn't you simply check
the last access date for each file, and determine if it is more than a
week ago ?

Quote:
>I've found a function that can retrieve the folder creation date, etc. But
>not much on files except copy, delete, move etc.

Where you use GetFolder to create a reference to a folder, you simply
use GetFile to create a reference to a file.

--
Helge Wunderlich
(Please remove the spam trap if you wish to send email)

Fri, 04 Nov 2005 14:29:51 GMT
 Change the Last Modify and Last Access date
Thanks everyone for the info,
You guys helped me out :-)

Quote:
> I have a customer who has a disk where about 120GB of old files are
located,
> We think about 1% of these files are being accessed on a day to day basis.
> We want to archive the "non-active" files off the disk.

> I would like to set the last access and last modifed dates to the current
> date on all files on the disk, then after a week or so search for files
with
> a last access or modify dates later then the one I have set previously.

> I've found a function that can retrieve the folder creation date, etc. But
> not much on files except copy, delete, move etc.

> I would like to know where I can find information on manipulating these
> attributes.

> If you have a better idea, let me know
> Thanks in advance.

Fri, 04 Nov 2005 19:25:08 GMT

1. Modifying the Last Modified Date and Time

2. List Access Objects based on Date Last Modified

3. Access Last Date Modified

4. Need to display last modified date for files in web page

5. script to update a file's last modified date

6. script to update a file's last modified date

7. Last Modified Date

8. Modules and date last modified

9. How to look for Last Modified Date...

10. Date Last Modified

11. Read file Date/Time last modified

12. Word: Filter files on date last modified