Distance between zip codes
Author Message
 Distance between zip codes

This is probably not the right place to post this, but this is my favorite
newsgroup so here goes:

I have seen a few sites out there that have the ability to calculate the
distance in miles between two zip codes.  How is this being done?  Is there
a fairly inexpensive component available for doing this?  Can somebody point
me in the right direction?

Mon, 15 Jul 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Distance between zip codes
I have done this for a project at work.  We had to purchase a ZIP code
database.  This DB had latitude and longitude for each ZIP code.  The
one we purchased had information on how to calculate the distance using
the latitude and longitude values.
I don't remember the name of the database we got but do a search and
see what you find.

Randy

Quote:
> This is probably not the right place to post this, but this is my
favorite
> newsgroup so here goes:

> I have seen a few sites out there that have the ability to calculate
the
> distance in miles between two zip codes.  How is this being done?  Is
there
> a fairly inexpensive component available for doing this?  Can
somebody point
> me in the right direction?

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Mon, 15 Jul 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Distance between zip codes
You need to know the Latitude and Longitude of the "center" of each zip
code.   Then you use the Great Circle Distance formula to determine the
distance.   You can use a simpler function if they're close together to get
the distance, but from NY to CA the error (not accounting for the Earth's
curvature) would be large.

--
Regards,
Doug Knox

Quote:

> This is probably not the right place to post this, but this is my favorite
> newsgroup so here goes:

> I have seen a few sites out there that have the ability to calculate the
> distance in miles between two zip codes.  How is this being done?  Is
there
> a fairly inexpensive component available for doing this?  Can somebody
point
> me in the right direction?

Tue, 16 Jul 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Distance between zip codes
PCMiler (a Software to calculate miles) has Modules that you can call to
calculate miles. Those modules can be called from web pages too..
Can calcluate miles between cities, Zip codes, or Zip to City.

You can also go with Randy Macnally's (Sp?) Software too, pretty much the
same thing.

Tahir

Quote:
> You need to know the Latitude and Longitude of the "center" of each zip
> code.   Then you use the Great Circle Distance formula to determine the
> distance.   You can use a simpler function if they're close together to
get
> the distance, but from NY to CA the error (not accounting for the Earth's
> curvature) would be large.

> --
> Regards,
> Doug Knox
> Microsoft MVP-DTS
> --
> Visit my web site for Win95/98 Tweaks, Tips and Utilities
> http://members.xoom.com/dbknox/registry/index.htm
> Files updated and added often

> > This is probably not the right place to post this, but this is my
favorite
> > newsgroup so here goes:

> > I have seen a few sites out there that have the ability to calculate the
> > distance in miles between two zip codes.  How is this being done?  Is
> there
> > a fairly inexpensive component available for doing this?  Can somebody
> point
> > me in the right direction?

Mon, 19 Aug 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. Ho do I calculate distance based on zip code (stores within distance)

2. zip code bar code generation

3. Zip Code "Bar Codes"

4. Need help with zip-code bar-code pgm.

5. abcrd001.zip/abc0995.zip - ALL BASIC CODE Packets/Reader/Extractor

6. Need ZIP source code or freeware ZIP DLL

7. ANN: Zip Code/Area Code/Time Zone Data and Components

8. Postal codes and zip codes

9. international post codes (Zip codes) - ricerca tabella codici postali europei per database

10. Postal ZIP bar-code generator?

11. Zip Code Pro methods?

12. validate zip code