Processing or Progress Indicators - POLL
Author Message
 Processing or Progress Indicators - POLL

I think this is a question for one of the MSTechs but please post your
opinions.

There seems to be many posts concerning processing or progress indicators.
Since many people seem to need/want these abilities do you think this could
be a feature that could be included in a future release of WSH? It could be
a simple option you turn on in the WSH run preferences that displays a
processing indicator windows when a script is running. I suggest a dialog
with a clock timer rotating as the script is processing. It would be nice to
have an easy way to indicate to users that a script is running. I know you
can create these types of dialogs other ways but it would be nice to have an
easy way to do this.

I'm not a programmer. I am just someone who discovered WSH and would like to
see it's functionality grow for not just programmers but for the "joe user"
also.

Thanks,
Lando

Sat, 04 Oct 2003 22:22:37 GMT
 Processing or Progress Indicators - POLL
hi Lando,

Yes, it "would be nice" if the wsh/vbs language offered a status/progress
dialog, but it doesn't.  Not only that, but I suspect that it never will.
Microsoft is now off developing it's new NET products, and as far as wsh/vbs
is concerned, what you see is what you get.  The future of VBScript is very
doubtful.  The question about the future of vbs has been asked
over-and-over, but no definitive answer has been forth-coming from ms, other
than some vague statement that the responsibility for vbScript has been
taken away from the ms scripting group and given the Visual Basic group.  As
best _I_ can make out, vbs programmers are going to be expected to learn
vb.Net for writing their scripts...

However, if you DO choose to learn vb.Net to write your "scripts", then you
can make use of "WinForms", which will allow for the construction of just
about anything you would want to do (of a gui nature that is).  The downside
to this is that vb.Net, generally characterized as a "Whole New Language"
with very little (or nothing) in common with visual basic, has even less in
common with vbScript.  It is definitely NOT easy-to-learn-or-use.  In fact,
many if not most visual basic programmers have suggested that one may as
well learn C# and be done with it...

In the meantime, some enterprising chap has attempted to "fill the gap" in
Microsoft's scripting product by offering a third-party control that can be
used as a status/progress dialog.  Go here:

    http://home.att.net/~wshvbs/index.htm

and look for either "wsh Lite Weight Progress Dialog" or the more
complicated (and more capable) "wsh Lite Weight Non-Modal Dialog".

cheers, jw

Quote:
> I think this is a question for one of the MSTechs but please post your
> opinions.

> There seems to be many posts concerning processing or progress indicators.
> Since many people seem to need/want these abilities do you think this
could
> be a feature that could be included in a future release of WSH? It could
be
> a simple option you turn on in the WSH run preferences that displays a
> processing indicator windows when a script is running. I suggest a dialog
> with a clock timer rotating as the script is processing. It would be nice
> have an easy way to indicate to users that a script is running. I know you
> can create these types of dialogs other ways but it would be nice to have
an
> easy way to do this.

> I'm not a programmer. I am just someone who discovered WSH and would like
> see it's functionality grow for not just programmers but for the "joe
user"
> also.

> Thanks,
> Lando

Sun, 05 Oct 2003 03:19:11 GMT

1. Progress indicator

2. Progress indicator - HELP!!!

3. Progress Indicator?

4. Progress indicator

5. Progress Indicator on Form

6. Coding a progress indicator

7. CDO Delivernow Method and progress indicator

8. Progress indicator

9. Progress Indicator IN Statusbar

10. FTP upload with progress indicator

11. Progress Indicator with Webforms...

12. HELP: Progress Indicator for queries