Is it possible to resize JPEG files with ASP and VBScript
Author Message
 Is it possible to resize JPEG files with ASP and VBScript

Can somebody tell me if there is a way to open a JPEG or GIF file and resize
it then save it to disk with VBScript? I know that NT has a program called
Imaging installed by default I wonder if there is an API to this program
that can be accessed by VBScript and ASP pages? I would like to access a
directory of JPEG files and be able to open each image resize it then copy
it to a different directory. Keep in mind I cannot use any third party COM
components. There are a bunch out there that allow you to do this but I
can't use them.

Thanks,
Ian

Fri, 16 May 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Is it possible to resize JPEG files with ASP and VBScript

Quote:
> it then save it to disk with VBScript? I know that NT has a program called
> Imaging installed by default I wonder if there is an API to this program
> that can be accessed by VBScript and ASP pages? I would like to access a

That's going to be tough, as I don't believe the Microsoft imaging tools
supports GIF, only JPEG and BMP (plus some older formats that are rarely
seen these days).

Were the two formats you wanted to work with pure raster data like most BMP
files, it'd probably be easy, but JPEG uses a lossy compression and GIF a
lossless compression that has to be expanded before you have raw data to
work with.

If there is a way to call NT Imaging for at least JPEG files, a quick Web
search didn't turn it up.

Not being able to use components seriously limits flexibility, alas. If
you're able to call third-party imaging programs such as the flexible
ThumbsPlus (www.cerious.com) instead, I'm pretty sure their software allows
command-line batch control.

-=-
Matt Dragonfly Drury
Graphics Learning Forum (home of the GIF spec)
http://go.compuserve.com/graphicslearning

Sat, 17 May 2003 03:00:00 GMT

1. Repeat - ASP/VBScript component to compress jpeg picture files

2. VB code to examine and resize JPEG files

3. Download jpeg file to the client using asp - Response.addheader ignored by Netscape

4. How to retrieve still Jpeg images from Jpeg AVI File

5. VBScript component (or something) to modify JPEG file

6. Possible Possible ASP Scripting Enhancements: compilation, queuing, resident programs

7. Resizing jpeg to fit PictureBox

8. Resizing jpeg to fit PictureBox

9. Resize a JPEG

10. resizing an jpeg using code