transmit binary data?
Author Message
 transmit binary data?

I have a script that currently outputs xml formated data from an access
database.
The xml output is send over http and received and then stored back into a
database at the client site.
Can't I simply send the database as raw binary over the http connection and
write it back to disk on the client side
then use it directly as an access database?

Fri, 01 Jul 2005 11:56:37 GMT
 transmit binary data?
Hi DrBob

Hoping another replies, I would like to ask a question. Why do you want
that? Generally the xml from database is well prepared to manipulate, send,
and receive. Then why do you only want binary?

Saving something in the client-side is another issue. Sometimes it involves
security issue. So you cannot save anything to the clients' hard drive
without his/her/its permission.

--
Have a nice day.
Han Pohwan, Microsoft MVP, Korea

Quote:
> I have a script that currently outputs xml formated data from an access
> database.
> The xml output is send over http and received and then stored back into a
> database at the client site.
> Can't I simply send the database as raw binary over the http connection
and
> write it back to disk on the client side
> then use it directly as an access database?

Fri, 01 Jul 2005 21:24:12 GMT
 transmit binary data?
Quote:
> Hoping another replies, I would like to ask a question. Why do you want
> that? Generally the xml from database is well prepared to manipulate,
send,
> and receive. Then why do you only want binary?

Well the client is actually just a c program that is able to invoke a script
accross the internet.  The script queries the database and then outputs
xml which is send over http and then gets converted back to an access
database... I figure, why go through the xml step?

Sat, 02 Jul 2005 11:11:23 GMT
 transmit binary data?
DrBob

I recommand xml because it exists or is easily made, but binary is not that.
I think you mean table by database as you did in another thread. Right?

--
Have a nice day.
Han Pohwan, Microsoft MVP, Korea

Quote:
> > Hoping another replies, I would like to ask a question. Why do you want
> > that? Generally the xml from database is well prepared to manipulate,
> send,
> > and receive. Then why do you only want binary?

> Well the client is actually just a c program that is able to invoke a
script
> accross the internet.  The script queries the database and then outputs
> xml which is send over http and then gets converted back to an access
> database... I figure, why go through the xml step?

Sat, 02 Jul 2005 20:01:49 GMT
 transmit binary data?

Quote:
> ... I figure, why go through the xml step?

Because HTTP is a text based protocol...

--
Michael Harris
Microsoft.MVP.Scripting

Sun, 03 Jul 2005 10:30:33 GMT
 transmit binary data?

Quote:
> > ... I figure, why go through the xml step?

> Because HTTP is a text based protocol...

So response.WriteBinary is for what purpose then?

Sun, 03 Jul 2005 10:52:48 GMT
 transmit binary data?

Quote:

>>> ... I figure, why go through the xml step?

>> Because HTTP is a text based protocol...

> So response.WriteBinary is for what purpose then?

To write a binary data source into a text based HTTP stream.

--
Michael Harris
Microsoft.MVP.Scripting

Sun, 03 Jul 2005 11:20:45 GMT
 transmit binary data?
So if I want to insert a Carriage Return Line Feed into the output stream
how do I do it?

Quote:

> >> Because HTTP is a text based protocol...

> > So response.WriteBinary is for what purpose then?

> To write a binary data source into a text based HTTP stream.

> --
> Michael Harris
> Microsoft.MVP.Scripting
> Seattle WA US

Sun, 03 Jul 2005 11:59:32 GMT
 transmit binary data?

Quote:

> So if I want to insert a Carriage Return Line Feed into the output
> stream how do I do it?

Response.Write vbCrLf

--
Michael Harris
Microsoft.MVP.Scripting

Sun, 03 Jul 2005 12:10:13 GMT

1. HELP! How do you transmit binary data with MSComm32?!?

2. How to Transmit and Receive Binary Data using MSCOMM32

3. Transmitting a binary file with mscomm

4. vb5 mscomm, transmit binary file

5. Transmitting phone data with VB

6. How do I transmit MIDI data ?

7. upload both text data and binary data

8. convert binary data to string data

9. Binary Data in SQL 2000/Conver to Bitmap Data For Data Grid View

10. Proposal: alt.binaries.examples.vb4 , alt.binaries.examples.vcpp , alt.binaries.examples.java

11. Proposal: alt.binaries.examples.vb4 , alt.binaries.examples.vcpp , alt.binaries.examples.java

12. how to save binary data (SQL)