Download file instead open it?
Author Message
 Download file instead open it?

Hi.

I have some content on my site video, picture, text files that I want make
available for download only!
So, how can I force that file requested from visitor starts downloading and
not to open in browser?

Thanks.

Sat, 08 Mar 2003 13:22:12 GMT
 Download file instead open it?
Hi.

I have some content on my site video, picture, text files that I want make
available for download only!
So, how can I force that file requested from visitor starts downloading and
not to open in browser?

Thanks.

Sat, 08 Mar 2003 13:24:18 GMT
 Download file instead open it?
Two things I can think of...

1) have the file on the FTP instead of HTTP server.  Whenever an FTP link is
clicked, most if not all browsers will opt do download it instead of open
it.

2) instruct the user to specifically right-click it.

3) if there's a way... turn a left mouse click into a right mouse click with
a little JScript

Whether to open, download or offer choice with a given file type is set on
the browser (client-side) so you don't have much control over it.

-Travis

DMAS

Quote:
> Hi.

> I have some content on my site video, picture, text files that I want make
> available for download only!
> So, how can I force that file requested from visitor starts downloading
and
> not to open in browser?

> Thanks.

Mon, 17 Mar 2003 03:00:00 GMT

1. Download file instead open!

2. Howto force Download instead of Open .doc?

3. Downloading a file instead of running it

4. Response.BinaryWrite downloading aspx page instead of streamed file

5. Opening the save diablog box instead of openig the file

6. Opening the save diablog box instead of openig the file

7. opening text files from the server instead ot the clients computer

8. Download instead of launch

9. opening or downloading Excel files

10. Open a partially downloaded file from memory

11. download or open file grief

12. VB5 CGI EXE downloads instead of executing.