Installing a shortcut on Client Desktop
Author Message
 Installing a shortcut on Client Desktop

Is there a way to install a shortcut on a client's desktop using VBScript in
an asp page?

I tried using this code:

Set oUrlLink = WshShell.CreateShortcut("title")
oUrlLink.TargetPath = "url"
oUrlLink.Save

But I receive this error:
Microsoft VBScript runtime (0x800A01A8)
Object required: ''

Thanks

Sun, 11 Jan 2004 23:16:18 GMT
 Installing a shortcut on Client Desktop

Quote:
> Is there a way to install a shortcut on a client's desktop using vbscript
in
> an asp page?

Would you want a random web page on the Internet to have access to create
files on your computer without your permission? I sure wouldn't. What if
www.microsoft.com put something on my desktop everytime I went to their home
page. I don't think this is possible.

Mon, 12 Jan 2004 05:52:14 GMT
 Installing a shortcut on Client Desktop
Unfotunatly it is possible

I have come across several pages wich even install executables right on my
desktop!
Usually sites like xx{*filter*} or warez sites have a {*filter*} habbit of doing
this.

You are looking for something, pop-up comes up, opens another window, and
another.. etc etc..
One of them is sure to have this functionality.
I have had one, where a shortcut to their page was put, in my startmenu, in
the root of c:\ and even a new, completely set--to-use connection was put in
my IE connections list, and set to 'default connection'! All without any
warning at all.

I think noone should be able to do this stuff, but appearantly it's allready
to late for that.

greets
Jim Teeuwen

Quote:
> > Is there a way to install a shortcut on a client's desktop using
vbscript
> in
> > an asp page?

> Would you want a random web page on the Internet to have access to create
> files on your computer without your permission? I sure wouldn't. What if
> www.microsoft.com put something on my desktop everytime I went to their
home
> page. I don't think this is possible.

Mon, 12 Jan 2004 20:06:28 GMT
 Installing a shortcut on Client Desktop
Hi,
Maybe you could try to "Dim" your variables at he top of your script.
Not that I am an expert (far from that) but it worked for me once
Jan
The Netherlands

Quote:
> Is there a way to install a shortcut on a client's desktop using vbscript
in
> an asp page?

> I tried using this code:

> Set WshShell = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
> Set oUrlLink = WshShell.CreateShortcut("title")
> oUrlLink.TargetPath = "url"
> oUrlLink.Save

> But I receive this error:
> Microsoft VBScript runtime (0x800A01A8)
> Object required: ''

> Thanks

Mon, 12 Jan 2004 20:29:51 GMT
 Installing a shortcut on Client Desktop
Yikes! I assume you're using IE.
  You should probably disable " installation of desktop items" under the
security tab.
  If you also disable ActiveX, java & javascript (and .hta files in IE5)
there's very little trickery that can be done....no programming code will
work, no popup ads will appear. Some people say that's unreasonable but I
find very little inconvenience with it.

> Unfotunatly it is possible

> I have come across several pages wich even install executables right on my
> desktop!
> Usually sites like xx{*filter*} or warez sites have a {*filter*} habbit of doing
> this.

> You are looking for something, pop-up comes up, opens another window, and
> another.. etc etc..
> One of them is sure to have this functionality.
> I have had one, where a shortcut to their page was put, in my startmenu,
in
> the root of c:\ and even a new, completely set--to-use connection was put
in
> my IE connections list, and set to 'default connection'! All without any
> warning at all.

> I think noone should be able to do this stuff, but appearantly it's
allready
> to late for that.

> greets
> Jim Teeuwen

> > > Is there a way to install a shortcut on a client's desktop using
> vbscript
> > in
> > > an asp page?

> > Would you want a random web page on the Internet to have access to
create
> > files on your computer without your permission? I sure wouldn't. What if
> > www.microsoft.com put something on my desktop everytime I went to their
> home
> > page. I don't think this is possible.

Mon, 12 Jan 2004 21:54:28 GMT

1. Installing shortcut on a desktop

2. Installing a desktop shortcut along with your program

3. Install shortcut desktop icon ??

4. create desktop shortcut when app installed w/P&D installer for XP,Vista,W7

5. Install Desktop Update after IE 5 install

6. Full screen IE on desktop shortcut

7. Desktop shortcut target problem

8. Create shortcut in desktop

9. How to Make a Shortcut on Desktop?

10. desktop shortcut WSH

11. creating a desktop-shortcut

12. putting arguments in the TargetPath of a desktop shortcut