FileSystemObject Error 430 / SCRRUN.DLL versions?
Author Message
 FileSystemObject Error 430 / SCRRUN.DLL versions?

When I declare the FileSystemObject as follows in a function on my
development machine (VB6, Win98SE), things work fine:

    Dim oFSO As New FileSystemObject

but the same declaration on the target deployment PC (also running Win98SE)
generates this error: 430: Class does not support automation.

There is a different version of SCRRUN.DLL on the machines: 5.1.0.5010 on
the dev machine, and an older one, 5.0.0.3715, on the deployment PC.

Does Microsoft permit redistribution of the SCRRUN.DLL?  Is the fix simply a
matter of copying this one DLL to the deployment PC, or are there supporting
DLLs that need to go with it, whose versions must remain compatible?

Thanks
Tim Romano
www.aimsdata.com/tim

Tue, 29 Jul 2003 23:17:57 GMT
 FileSystemObject Error 430 / SCRRUN.DLL versions?
This is a classic case of a VB app early binding to a newer interface of a component and then
running on a machine with an older version of the component installed.

You can use late binding in your app (Dim oFSO As Object and instantiate explicitly using
CreateObject) or include/require the appropriate full Windows Script minimum version installation as
part of your app's installation.

It's a bad idea to distribute/install only pieces of the scripting infrastructure because you're
*not* likely to get all the additional dependencies right ;-)...

--
Michael Harris
Microsoft.MVP.Scripting

> When I declare the FileSystemObject as follows in a function on my
> development machine (VB6, Win98SE), things work fine:

>     Dim oFSO As New FileSystemObject

> but the same declaration on the target deployment PC (also running Win98SE)
> generates this error: 430: Class does not support automation.

> There is a different version of SCRRUN.DLL on the machines: 5.1.0.5010 on
> the dev machine, and an older one, 5.0.0.3715, on the deployment PC.

> Does Microsoft permit redistribution of the SCRRUN.DLL?  Is the fix simply a
> matter of copying this one DLL to the deployment PC, or are there supporting
> DLLs that need to go with it, whose versions must remain compatible?

> Thanks
> Tim Romano
> www.aimsdata.com/tim

Thu, 31 Jul 2003 04:14:58 GMT

1. Set fso = new filesystemobject gives me a runtime error 430 (scrrun.dll)

2. Error 430 after installing version 7 ocx

3. Accessing the FileSystemObject - scrrun.dll problems

4. Using FileSystemObject from scrrun.dll

5. Accessing the FileSystemObject - scrrun.dll problems

6. Runtime Error 430 adding new Public event to dll

7. SCRRUN.DLL Version

8. Diffrent Versions SCRRUN.DLL

9. #import "scrrun.dll" generates compile error

10. Error 429 with SCRRUN.DLL

11. error 430 problem

12. Run Time Error 430 on ADODB