Hiding all Icons on the Desktop and Using Active Desktop
Author Message
 Hiding all Icons on the Desktop and Using Active Desktop

We have a delema maybe someone out there has a fix for.  We are implementing
a Windows 2000 domain policy on our lockdown systems which does by design
will have no Icons on the desktop will automaticly launch a program from the
startup folder and that is pretty much it.  It has a list of allowable
executables for the program that is launched.  This part is easy.  Simple
policy.
The sticking point is since we have experience some screen burn in the past
on these computers since they are autologin machines, they have developed a
animated .gif image.  The problem presents when you mix the Hide all desktop
icons with the enable active desktop.  Hide all desktop items wins and does
not show the animated .gif.  So we went in the direction of turning off the
parts of the desktop through the policy.  The problem with that is there is
no policy to hide My Computer or the Recycle Bin.  If I could do that I
would be happy.  Any ideas.  These are all Windows 2000 machines in an
active directory domain.

Thanks
Rob

Sun, 14 Aug 2005 03:11:37 GMT
 Hiding all Icons on the Desktop and Using Active Desktop
You are not having a screen saver for a certain amount of time elapsed with
no use?
For the kiosk image I made I did something similar to this but after 15
minutes of non use the screensaver logs the pc off and them logs back in and
restarts the app. I have noticed no screen burn in so far.

Quote:
> We have a delema maybe someone out there has a fix for.  We are
implementing
> a Windows 2000 domain policy on our lockdown systems which does by design
> will have no Icons on the desktop will automaticly launch a program from
the
> startup folder and that is pretty much it.  It has a list of allowable
> executables for the program that is launched.  This part is easy.  Simple
> policy.
> The sticking point is since we have experience some screen burn in the
past
> on these computers since they are autologin machines, they have developed
> animated .gif image.  The problem presents when you mix the Hide all
desktop
> icons with the enable active desktop.  Hide all desktop items wins and
does
> not show the animated .gif.  So we went in the direction of turning off
the
> parts of the desktop through the policy.  The problem with that is there
is
> no policy to hide My Computer or the Recycle Bin.  If I could do that I
> would be happy.  Any ideas.  These are all Windows 2000 machines in an
> active directory domain.

> Thanks
> Rob

Sun, 14 Aug 2005 03:35:42 GMT
 Hiding all Icons on the Desktop and Using Active Desktop
Yes we are using winexit to logout after 30min followed by the autologon.

Quote:
> You are not having a screen saver for a certain amount of time elapsed
with
> no use?
> For the kiosk image I made I did something similar to this but after 15
> minutes of non use the screensaver logs the pc off and them logs back in
and
> restarts the app. I have noticed no screen burn in so far.

> > We have a delema maybe someone out there has a fix for.  We are
> implementing
> > a Windows 2000 domain policy on our lockdown systems which does by
design
> > will have no Icons on the desktop will automaticly launch a program from
> the
> > startup folder and that is pretty much it.  It has a list of allowable
> > executables for the program that is launched.  This part is easy.
Simple
> > policy.
> > The sticking point is since we have experience some screen burn in the
> past
> > on these computers since they are autologin machines, they have
developed
> > animated .gif image.  The problem presents when you mix the Hide all
> desktop
> > icons with the enable active desktop.  Hide all desktop items wins and
> does
> > not show the animated .gif.  So we went in the direction of turning off
> the
> > parts of the desktop through the policy.  The problem with that is there
> is
> > no policy to hide My Computer or the Recycle Bin.  If I could do that I
> > would be happy.  Any ideas.  These are all Windows 2000 machines in an
> > active directory domain.

> > Thanks
> > Rob

Sun, 14 Aug 2005 04:03:55 GMT
 Hiding all Icons on the Desktop and Using Active Desktop
I know I can disable the start button with this reg hack? I am not sure if
you could do the same with my computer and recycle bin.
[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{5b4dae26-b807-11d0-9815-00c04fd91972}]

check out this site and see if it helps.

> We have a delema maybe someone out there has a fix for.  We are
implementing
> a Windows 2000 domain policy on our lockdown systems which does by design
> will have no Icons on the desktop will automaticly launch a program from
the
> startup folder and that is pretty much it.  It has a list of allowable
> executables for the program that is launched.  This part is easy.  Simple
> policy.
> The sticking point is since we have experience some screen burn in the
past
> on these computers since they are autologin machines, they have developed
> animated .gif image.  The problem presents when you mix the Hide all
desktop
> icons with the enable active desktop.  Hide all desktop items wins and
does
> not show the animated .gif.  So we went in the direction of turning off
the
> parts of the desktop through the policy.  The problem with that is there
is
> no policy to hide My Computer or the Recycle Bin.  If I could do that I
> would be happy.  Any ideas.  These are all Windows 2000 machines in an
> active directory domain.

> Thanks
> Rob

Sun, 14 Aug 2005 05:58:19 GMT
 Hiding all Icons on the Desktop and Using Active Desktop
One Line AutoIt script

WinHide,Program Manager

http:\\www.hiddensoft.com\autoit\

compiles to EXE (41k)

Larry

Quote:

> Yes we are using winexit to logout after 30min followed by the autologon.

> > You are not having a screen saver for a certain amount of time elapsed
>  with
> > no use?
> > For the kiosk image I made I did something similar to this but after 15
> > minutes of non use the screensaver logs the pc off and them logs back in
>  and
> > restarts the app. I have noticed no screen burn in so far.

> > > We have a delema maybe someone out there has a fix for.  We are
>  implementing
> > > a Windows 2000 domain policy on our lockdown systems which does by
>  design
> > > will have no Icons on the desktop will automaticly launch a program from
>  the
> > > startup folder and that is pretty much it.  It has a list of allowable
> > > executables for the program that is launched.  This part is easy.
>  Simple
> > > policy.
> > > The sticking point is since we have experience some screen burn in the
>  past
> > > on these computers since they are autologin machines, they have
>  developed
> > > animated .gif image.  The problem presents when you mix the Hide all
>  desktop
> > > icons with the enable active desktop.  Hide all desktop items wins and
>  does
> > > not show the animated .gif.  So we went in the direction of turning off
>  the
> > > parts of the desktop through the policy.  The problem with that is there
>  is
> > > no policy to hide My Computer or the Recycle Bin.  If I could do that I
> > > would be happy.  Any ideas.  These are all Windows 2000 machines in an
> > > active directory domain.

> > > Thanks
> > > Rob

Sun, 14 Aug 2005 14:50:50 GMT

1. Hiding all Icons on the Desktop and Using Active Desktop

2. hide the icons on the desktop

3. hide desktop icons in winXP, 2K?

4. Hide / show icons on Desktop

5. Hide or show desktop icons.