IE.App DHTML Disabling with IE6
Author Message
 IE.App DHTML Disabling with IE6

Hi,

When using WSH-based IE.App DHTML dialog windows, I need to disable the
DHTML processing in the main dialog window when I popup something modal
(another IE.App DHTML dialog, MsgBox, BrowseForFolder, etc.).

In IE5.5, I can simply use the following to disable the <body> tag:
voIEApp.document.parentWindow.document.body.disabled= True

In IE6, I can use the same thing or the following to disable the <html> tag:
voIEApp.document.documentElement.disabled= True

In IE6, however, either of these settings scramble the appearance of the
input text in any input/textarea/innertext boxes or cells in the main window
when it is disabled.  This seems to be purely cosmetic; the text returns to
appropriate formatting when the dialog window is re-enabled.  However, I
would think that this could be quite disconcerting to a user.

Also in IE6 only, the buttons on the disabled window still seem to trigger
referenced DHTML <script> procedures that set hidden values, even though
they visually appear to be inactive, requiring me to reset all the window's
hidden values to 0 on re-enabling the window, a process that noticably slows
the return.

Does anyone have a visually cleaner and more thorough method for quickly
disabling and
re-enabling an entire IE.App DHTML window in IE6?

Thanks,
Joe Earnest

Tue, 23 Aug 2005 02:35:42 GMT
 IE.App DHTML Disabling with IE6
hmm ...

After more experimentation and reading it appears that this visual effect
with text input or even div content occurs when disabling any container
Looks like a general IE6 DHTML problem.  I'd appreciate it if anyone can
confirm this.

Thanks

Quote:
> Hi,

> When using WSH-based IE.App DHTML dialog windows, I need to disable the
> DHTML processing in the main dialog window when I popup something modal
> (another IE.App DHTML dialog, MsgBox, BrowseForFolder, etc.).

> In IE5.5, I can simply use the following to disable the <body> tag:
> voIEApp.document.parentWindow.document.body.disabled= True

> In IE6, I can use the same thing or the following to disable the <html>
tag:
> voIEApp.document.documentElement.disabled= True

> In IE6, however, either of these settings scramble the appearance of the
> input text in any input/textarea/innertext boxes or cells in the main
window
> when it is disabled.  This seems to be purely cosmetic; the text returns
> appropriate formatting when the dialog window is re-enabled.  However, I
> would think that this could be quite disconcerting to a user.

> Also in IE6 only, the buttons on the disabled window still seem to trigger
> referenced DHTML <script> procedures that set hidden values, even though
> they visually appear to be inactive, requiring me to reset all the
window's
> hidden values to 0 on re-enabling the window, a process that noticably
slows
> the return.

> Does anyone have a visually cleaner and more thorough method for quickly
> disabling and
> re-enabling an entire IE.App DHTML window in IE6?

> Thanks,
> Joe Earnest

Wed, 24 Aug 2005 02:37:13 GMT

1. IE.App-DHTML Dialogs - Accessing HTML Element Styles

2. Making DHTML apps work with standard IE security (medium)

3. IE 5 and IE6 ASP/VB

4. New-wave Apps in JScript/DHTML?

5. PROBLEM!!-->VB Application/IE6 crashing behavior when running a WinNT built app on WinXP

6. Error when using the IE DHTML Control

7. Dialogs/Message Box appearing behind IE window in VB DHTML

8. DHTML + custom IE

9. DHTML : How to Get the Event of IE Windows

10. How do you disable the right click in the DHTML Viewer in Crystal Enterprise

11. Killing an App started by IE in turn started by VB App from VB

12. Disabling Back and Front Buttons (Issue with Stateful legacy system and stateless ASP app)