Find user info on a pc when a web page is viewed
Author Message
 Find user info on a pc when a web page is viewed

Hi,

I found an uinteresting tip in 15 seconds which showed how to make the NT
server (which my pages are on) send an email to tell me someone has looked
at a page and clicked a particular link.

I would like to expand on this and have the email include some form of
identifying the users pc. I did try this

<%
Response.Write "User: " & Request.ServerVariables("Logon_User")
Response.Write "You are seeing this on the Server: " &
Request.ServerVariables("server_name")
%>

to pu the details on the users page but it shows no user name and the name
of my server, I want to find out about the user, I already know where my
stuff is.

Any idea how I do this?

TIA

Tom

Mon, 25 Aug 2003 04:57:44 GMT
 Find user info on a pc when a web page is viewed
Info about the user (aside from the client's IP address) is only available if you use authentication
on your Intranet site...

--
Michael Harris
Microsoft.MVP.Scripting

> Hi,

> I found an uinteresting tip in 15 seconds which showed how to make the NT
> server (which my pages are on) send an email to tell me someone has looked
> at a page and clicked a particular link.

> I would like to expand on this and have the email include some form of
> identifying the users pc. I did try this

> <%
> Response.Write "User: " & Request.ServerVariables("Logon_User")
> Response.Write "You are seeing this on the Server: " &
> Request.ServerVariables("server_name")
> %>

> to pu the details on the users page but it shows no user name and the name
> of my server, I want to find out about the user, I already know where my
> stuff is.

> Any idea how I do this?

> TIA

> Tom

Mon, 25 Aug 2003 12:17:47 GMT
 Find user info on a pc when a web page is viewed
Michael,

             well if that's all I can get than I guess I need to settle for
that. Got any pointers for me on what the variable is.

Thanks again guru.

Tom

Quote:
> Info about the user (aside from the client's IP address) is only available

if you use authentication
Quote:
> on your Intranet site...

> --
> Michael Harris
> Microsoft.MVP.Scripting
> --

> Please do not email questions - post them to the newsgroup instead.
> --

Quote:
> > Hi,

> > I found an uinteresting tip in 15 seconds which showed how to make the
NT
> > server (which my pages are on) send an email to tell me someone has
looked
> > at a page and clicked a particular link.

> > I would like to expand on this and have the email include some form of
> > identifying the users pc. I did try this

> > <%
> > Response.Write "User: " & Request.ServerVariables("Logon_User")
> > Response.Write "You are seeing this on the Server: " &
> > Request.ServerVariables("server_name")
> > %>

> > to pu the details on the users page but it shows no user name and the
name
> > of my server, I want to find out about the user, I already know where my
> > stuff is.

> > Any idea how I do this?

> > TIA

> > Tom

Mon, 25 Aug 2003 16:17:36 GMT
 Find user info on a pc when a web page is viewed
Request.ServerVariables("REMOTE_ADDR")
Request.ServerVariables("HOST_ADDR")

both give the client's IP address,  but all that's usually going to tell you is what IP address
their ISP assigned them when they dialed up...

--
Michael Harris
Microsoft.MVP.Scripting

> Michael,

>              well if that's all I can get than I guess I need to settle for
> that. Got any pointers for me on what the variable is.

> Thanks again guru.

> Tom

> > Info about the user (aside from the client's IP address) is only available
> if you use authentication
> > on your Intranet site...

> > --
> > Michael Harris
> > Microsoft.MVP.Scripting
> > --

> > Please do not email questions - post them to the newsgroup instead.
> > --

> > > Hi,

> > > I found an uinteresting tip in 15 seconds which showed how to make the
> NT
> > > server (which my pages are on) send an email to tell me someone has
> looked
> > > at a page and clicked a particular link.

> > > I would like to expand on this and have the email include some form of
> > > identifying the users pc. I did try this

> > > <%
> > > Response.Write "User: " & Request.ServerVariables("Logon_User")
> > > Response.Write "You are seeing this on the Server: " &
> > > Request.ServerVariables("server_name")
> > > %>

> > > to pu the details on the users page but it shows no user name and the
> name
> > > of my server, I want to find out about the user, I already know where my
> > > stuff is.

> > > Any idea how I do this?

> > > TIA

> > > Tom

Tue, 26 Aug 2003 03:47:03 GMT
 Find user info on a pc when a web page is viewed
Thanks Michael, where do I find a list of this stuff?

Quote:
> Request.ServerVariables("REMOTE_ADDR")
> Request.ServerVariables("HOST_ADDR")

> both give the client's IP address,  but all that's usually going to tell

you is what IP address
Quote:
> their ISP assigned them when they dialed up...

> --
> Michael Harris
> Microsoft.MVP.Scripting
> --

> Please do not email questions - post them to the newsgroup instead.
> --

Quote:
> > Michael,

> >              well if that's all I can get than I guess I need to settle
for
> > that. Got any pointers for me on what the variable is.

> > Thanks again guru.

> > Tom

> > > Info about the user (aside from the client's IP address) is only
available
> > if you use authentication
> > > on your Intranet site...

> > > --
> > > Michael Harris
> > > Microsoft.MVP.Scripting
> > > --

> > > Please do not email questions - post them to the newsgroup instead.
> > > --

> > NT
> > looked

> > name

Tue, 26 Aug 2003 18:40:51 GMT
 Find user info on a pc when a web page is viewed
Active Server Pages Guide
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/psdk/iisref/aspguide.htm
Visual Basic Object Model
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/psdk/iisref/vbob74bw.htm
Request Object
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/psdk/iisref/vbob5ulw.htm
ServerVariables
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/psdk/iisref/vbob5vsj.htm

--
Michael Harris
Microsoft.MVP.Scripting

> Thanks Michael, where do I find a list of this stuff?

> > Request.ServerVariables("REMOTE_ADDR")
> > Request.ServerVariables("HOST_ADDR")

> > both give the client's IP address,  but all that's usually going to tell
> you is what IP address
> > their ISP assigned them when they dialed up...

> > --
> > Michael Harris
> > Microsoft.MVP.Scripting
> > --

> > Please do not email questions - post them to the newsgroup instead.
> > --

> > > Michael,

> > >              well if that's all I can get than I guess I need to settle
> for
> > > that. Got any pointers for me on what the variable is.

> > > Thanks again guru.

> > > Tom

> available
> > > if you use authentication

> the
> > > NT
> > > looked

> of

> the
> > > name
> where my

Wed, 27 Aug 2003 10:12:19 GMT

1. I would like to gather PC info and post all IP, MAC, User Info, etc... to a web server

2. How 2 view full portrait page with Ghostscript 2.5 (PC)

3. User viewing File System, how to get info from ActiveExplorer object

4. IE5.5 + OCX + web page won't display on some PC's

5. Interacting Web pages with PC

6. Finding User info...

7. How To Find Users Connected To PC VB4/Win95

8. Finding User's PC name

9. Import info from web page to Access

10. Help with Getting info from a web page and putting it into a database

11. view web page on existing form

12. Help: returning specific info from a web page