how to you make a duplicate database?
Author Message
 how to you make a duplicate database?

On a server side script I want to extract a subset of records to a new
database.
The new database should have the same structure as the original but should
only
contain records that match my criteria.

TIA.

Thu, 30 Jun 2005 02:17:38 GMT
 how to you make a duplicate database?
1. What database format: Access, DBF, SQl Server, Oracle.

There are specific methods for each database format for creation of the database unit, tables and records (including

Access and DBF are easy - there are 3rd party components and scripts that will do the job a lot faster and better than
you could.

http://asp-database-recordset-converter-dbf-mdb-export.pstruh.cz/help...

I've got this one and it's excellent to be honest - very fast.

SQL Server and Oracle etc. (all true RDBMS systems) are a bit more difficult in that there is a lot more security and
consistency stuff going on at the database systems level to deal with. However, both at least provide documented
function and methods to create databases, tables and records - DTS, T-SQL (never used Oracle so I can't really comment).

Hope this helps.

Chris.

On a server side script I want to extract a subset of records to a new
database.
The new database should have the same structure as the original but should
only
contain records that match my criteria.

TIA.

Thu, 30 Jun 2005 03:26:29 GMT
 how to you make a duplicate database?

Quote:
> 1. What database format: Access, DBF, SQl Server, Oracle.

Yes.. Good point... MS Access.

Fri, 01 Jul 2005 02:05:24 GMT
 how to you make a duplicate database?
OK - take a look at the link I gave in the last post.

You can do queries into the database, add the recordsets to the conversion object and when you have the collection that
you want it'll rite the Access DB file directly to disk.

Chris Barber.

Quote:
> 1. What database format: Access, DBF, SQl Server, Oracle.

Yes.. Good point... MS Access.

Fri, 01 Jul 2005 02:23:49 GMT
 how to you make a duplicate database?

Hi DrBob

I think you mean table by database. If that's the case why not use standard
sql which create a table based on the query. e.g.

conn.execute "select * into new_table_name from old_table where
some_condition"

--
Have a nice day.
Han Pohwan, Microsoft MVP, Korea

Quote:

> > 1. What database format: Access, DBF, SQl Server, Oracle.

> Yes.. Good point... MS Access.

Fri, 01 Jul 2005 04:15:51 GMT
 how to you make a duplicate database?
Quote:
> conn.execute "select * into new_table_name from old_table where
> some_condition"

Kam Sa Ham Ni Da...

Fri, 01 Jul 2005 04:27:22 GMT

1. making a duplicate of an ado recordset?

2. Making a duplicate table

3. database properties and making databases replicable

4. Making a database based on SQL search in another database

5. I am getting duplicate records, I mean everything is duplicate even Access record number

6. Holy holy duplicates duplicates Batman Batman!

7. Dispatch Database Duplicate Fields

8. Database Duplicates -- Your Ideas and Methods

9. Database - duplicate records

10. VB error trapping of duplicates in indexed Access database

11. HELP: Duplicate Keys in Access Database

12. How do I exclude duplicate database records