Learning VBScript
Author Message
 Learning VBScript

I am trying to teach myself VBScript in order to write scripts for Windows
Script Host.  I do work on NT/2000 servers and want to automate most of
specific tasks.

Right now I own some VBScript books from Oreilly.  Learning VBScript,
VBScript in a Nutshell and VBScript: Pocket Reference: are these good
titles for me to get started with.  I began reading them and most of the
information is geared towards writing ASP.

I'm starting to suspect I should try and learn another language that might
take me further than the Windows platform.  I am leaning towards
Javascript.

Can anyone offer me some advice?  I don't have much of a programming
background except for HTML.

Axiom

Sat, 09 Jul 2005 02:50:57 GMT
 Learning VBScript
I like Wrox books.

Also, a good on-line resource is:

http://www.w3schools.com/

Sat, 09 Jul 2005 03:02:44 GMT
 Learning VBScript

Quote:

> I am trying to teach myself VBscript in order to write scripts for Windows
> Script Host.  I do work on NT/2000 servers and want to automate most of
> specific tasks.

> Right now I own some VBScript books from Oreilly.  Learning VBScript,
> VBScript in a Nutshell and VBScript: Pocket Reference: are these good
> titles for me to get started with.  I began reading them and most of the
> information is geared towards writing ASP.

> I'm starting to suspect I should try and learn another language that might
> take me further than the Windows platform.  I am leaning towards
> Javascript.

Hi

You will not get any further with JScript than with VBScript. When we evaluated
the script language to be used for admin scripting in the company I work for, we
choose VBScript. There was several reasons for this, e.g. there are much more
examples and finished code for admin scripting in VBScript, and also JScript has
some issues with COM interfaces that VBScript does not have.

For administration scripting examples (VBScript) and a online version of the
1328 page Scripting Guide from Microsoft:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/scriptcenter

Scripting Concepts and Technologies for System Administration
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/scriptcenter/scrguide/sas_pt1_overvi...

Another book about admin/system scripting that I like (also a lot of network/AD
scripting stuff in it) with both JScript and VBScript examples:

Windows 2000 Scripting Bible
Author: William Robert Stanek
Publisher: Hungry Minds, Inc.
ISBN: 0764546775
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0764546775/103-2890513-5194207

Here is a newsgroup thread you should look at as well with links to other
resources:

Subject: beginner looking for resources
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.scripting.vbscript
Date: 2002-01-31 08:11:00 PST
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&th=7015b808b5fb0cb4

--
torgeir
Administration scripting examples and a ONLINE version of the 1328 page

Sat, 09 Jul 2005 03:14:10 GMT
 Learning VBScript

Quote:

> I am trying to teach myself VBscript in order to write scripts for
> Windows Script Host.  I do work on NT/2000 servers and want to
> automate most of specific tasks.

> Right now I own some VBScript books from Oreilly.  Learning VBScript,
> VBScript in a Nutshell and VBScript: Pocket Reference: are these good
> titles for me to get started with.  I began reading them and most of
> the information is geared towards writing ASP.

> I'm starting to suspect I should try and learn another language that
> might take me further than the Windows platform.  I am leaning towards
> Javascript.

> Can anyone offer me some advice?  I don't have much of a programming
> background except for HTML.

I would also recommend sorting this newsgroup by the "From" field, and
then reading posts by Torgeir Bakken, Michael Harris, and Alex K.
Angelopoulos, to name a few.  I know I've learned a few things.  =)

Read the posts by "name", too. You won't learn much VBScript, but think
of it as a literary experience.

Sat, 09 Jul 2005 03:37:12 GMT

1. learning VBScript

2. Learning VBscript

3. How to Learn VBScript ?

4. Preload Object Error (Need Help, Trying to Learn VBScript)

5. Learning VBScript - Looking For Online Tutorials

6. REVIEW: "Learning VBScript", Paul Lomax

7. Learning vbscript.

8. I Want to learn VBscript

9. Learning VBScript

10. Learning VBScript