Compile DLL with VB, use in ASP - HOWTO avoid system reboot when modifying the DLL? 
Author Message
 Compile DLL with VB, use in ASP - HOWTO avoid system reboot when modifying the DLL?

Hello,

Using Visual Basic to develop a DLL to use in ASP pages, when you compile
the code to generate the DLL the system registers the DLL in the registry.
ok.

But then, when I need to edit and recompile the DLL I cannot "regsvr32 -y
xxx.dll" because the system is using it.

Question: How do I avoid having to reboot every time I rebuild the dll?
Stopping IIS and unregistering the dll does not work too.

Windows 2000 / VB 6.0 / IIS 5.0

Thanks
Daniel



Mon, 23 Aug 2004 00:49:42 GMT  
 Compile DLL with VB, use in ASP - HOWTO avoid system reboot when modifying the DLL?
Open Internet Service Manager, stop the service, do something, and start the
service again.

--
Han
www.0000.info
Static IP Service


Quote:
> Hello,

> Using Visual Basic to develop a DLL to use in ASP pages, when you compile
> the code to generate the DLL the system registers the DLL in the registry.
> ok.

> But then, when I need to edit and recompile the DLL I cannot "regsvr32 -y
> xxx.dll" because the system is using it.

> Question: How do I avoid having to reboot every time I rebuild the dll?
> Stopping IIS and unregistering the dll does not work too.

> Windows 2000 / VB 6.0 / IIS 5.0

> Thanks
> Daniel



Mon, 23 Aug 2004 00:57:43 GMT  
 Compile DLL with VB, use in ASP - HOWTO avoid system reboot when modifying the DLL?
Thanks,

And what about "Version Compatibility", Binary Compatibility, etc?
What is the correct one to use?

Daniel



Quote:
> Open Internet Service Manager, stop the service, do something, and start
the
> service again.

> --
> Han
> www.0000.info
> Static IP Service



> > Hello,

> > Using Visual Basic to develop a DLL to use in ASP pages, when you
compile
> > the code to generate the DLL the system registers the DLL in the
registry.
> > ok.

> > But then, when I need to edit and recompile the DLL I cannot
"regsvr32 -y
> > xxx.dll" because the system is using it.

> > Question: How do I avoid having to reboot every time I rebuild the dll?
> > Stopping IIS and unregistering the dll does not work too.

> > Windows 2000 / VB 6.0 / IIS 5.0

> > Thanks
> > Daniel



Mon, 23 Aug 2004 01:10:43 GMT  
 Compile DLL with VB, use in ASP - HOWTO avoid system reboot when modifying the DLL?
OOPS you did it already!
I usually register my dlls in Windows Component Service, and no problem in
re-regsvr32. There are many mysteries!

--
Han
www.0000.info
Static IP Service


Quote:
> Open Internet Service Manager, stop the service, do something, and start
the
> service again.

> --
> Han
> www.0000.info
> Static IP Service



> > Hello,

> > Using Visual Basic to develop a DLL to use in ASP pages, when you
compile
> > the code to generate the DLL the system registers the DLL in the
registry.
> > ok.

> > But then, when I need to edit and recompile the DLL I cannot
"regsvr32 -y
> > xxx.dll" because the system is using it.

> > Question: How do I avoid having to reboot every time I rebuild the dll?
> > Stopping IIS and unregistering the dll does not work too.

> > Windows 2000 / VB 6.0 / IIS 5.0

> > Thanks
> > Daniel



Mon, 23 Aug 2004 01:12:46 GMT  
 Compile DLL with VB, use in ASP - HOWTO avoid system reboot when modifying the DLL?
Ok, Han.

Could you tell me how to do that?

Quote:
> OOPS you did it already!
> I usually register my dlls in Windows Component Service, and no problem in
> re-regsvr32. There are many mysteries!



Mon, 23 Aug 2004 01:21:58 GMT  
 Compile DLL with VB, use in ASP - HOWTO avoid system reboot when modifying the DLL?
Here is the process.

Add reference of /com+ services type library/ when you make your dll or
something.

Now Start menu/program/component services manager.
component services/com+ applications/right click/New/and do something.
Now in your newly created node, right click it/new/and add your component.

Tedious at first, but you'll love it afterwards.
My OS is Korean, so I translate it into English. I hope someone with English
OS will help you also. Have a luck.

--
Han
www.0000.info
Static IP Service


Quote:
> Ok, Han.

> Could you tell me how to do that?

> > OOPS you did it already!
> > I usually register my dlls in Windows Component Service, and no problem
in
> > re-regsvr32. There are many mysteries!



Mon, 23 Aug 2004 01:32:19 GMT  
 Compile DLL with VB, use in ASP - HOWTO avoid system reboot when modifying the DLL?
That's a question better asked in the ...vb.general newsgroup.  The answer isn't short and begins with "...it depends".

--
Michael Harris
Microsoft.MVP.Scripting
Seattle WA US
--

Quote:

> Thanks,

> And what about "Version Compatibility", Binary Compatibility, etc?
> What is the correct one to use?

> Daniel



> > Open Internet Service Manager, stop the service, do something, and start
> the
> > service again.

> > --
> > Han
> > www.0000.info
> > Static IP Service



> > > Hello,

> > > Using Visual Basic to develop a DLL to use in ASP pages, when you
> compile
> > > the code to generate the DLL the system registers the DLL in the
> registry.
> > > ok.

> > > But then, when I need to edit and recompile the DLL I cannot
> "regsvr32 -y
> > > xxx.dll" because the system is using it.

> > > Question: How do I avoid having to reboot every time I rebuild the dll?
> > > Stopping IIS and unregistering the dll does not work too.

> > > Windows 2000 / VB 6.0 / IIS 5.0

> > > Thanks
> > > Daniel



Mon, 23 Aug 2004 12:09:55 GMT  
 Compile DLL with VB, use in ASP - HOWTO avoid system reboot when modifying the DLL?
IIRC you can use COM+ packages to remove these headaches.
corect me if I'm wrong.

Atrax - MVP [Microsoft Most Valued Professional]

http://www.infinitemonkeys.ws/

Host with me for $100 a year!
http://www.atrax.ws/hosting/

*** Sent via Developersdex http://www.developersdex.com ***
Don't just participate in USENET...get rewarded for it!



Mon, 23 Aug 2004 12:19:45 GMT  
 
 [ 8 post ] 

 Relevant Pages 

1. Using WSH to Compile a VB ActiveX dll

2. Using ASP with VB DLL

3. CARDS32.DLL needs to be modified for VB 4.0 32 Bit

4. Using VBS to modify system registry

5. Permission Denied and Avoiding DLL Compiling During Development

6. Does anyone know howto cause a bat file to be excuted during reboot from vb app

7. Avoiding window scaling when large system fonts are used

8. HOWTO: Resize elements in VB using C++ dll

9. howto: using a COM.dll within VB

10. Decrypt a string using the systems Crypt32.dll?

11. Avoid caching when modifying IMG tags?

12. Compiling a C++ code to build a .DLL using VB Calls Question

 

 
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software