ASP: Use VB or VBScript???
Author Message
 ASP: Use VB or VBScript???

Hello VBScript'ers!

I am in the rudimentary stages of "porting" (yeah, right!) a set of
functionality currently implemented in Perl/CGI for Apache, to an
ASP-framed world.

The little bit of ASP (cookbook stuff) that I'd done in the past was implemented
using VBScript. Is there a stock argument (or set of arguments) for using one or
the other to implement ASP functionality? Is there any compelling argument to be
made for employing VB proper over the Scripting Edition in implementing an ASP
solution???

Thanks much!

Sincerely,

--
VirtualSean

Fri, 12 Sep 2003 07:11:29 GMT
 ASP: Use VB or VBScript???
Sean C. Murphy says:

Quote:
>I am in the rudimentary stages of "porting" (yeah, right!) a set of
>functionality currently implemented in Perl/CGI for Apache, to an
>ASP-framed world.

>The little bit of ASP (cookbook stuff) that I'd done in the past was implemented
>using VBScript. Is there a stock argument (or set of arguments) for using one or
>the other to implement ASP functionality? Is there any compelling argument to be
>made for employing VB proper over the Scripting Edition in implementing an ASP
>solution???

There is no way to use Visual Basic as a language for ASP.
ASP uses the Microsoft scripting engine, which supports VBScript and
JScript.  Other scripting languages can be added, including Perl, so
you may want to explore the idea of simply installing ActivePerl
(available from www.activestate.com) and using PerlScript as your
scripting language in ASP.   That would make porting the code a hassle
free task.

----------
Randy Hunt
MCP+I / MCSE

visit
www.wshscripting.com for WSH scripts
www.serverscripting.com for server scripts

Fri, 12 Sep 2003 09:35:44 GMT
 ASP: Use VB or VBScript???
Hello Randy,

Thanks much for the reply and info!

I thought as much, 'til I saw the following book title:

 Visual Basic Developer's Guide to Asp and IIS
  ISBN: 0782125573

I have not looked at the book, so perhaps it just deals with writing COM
components in VB for use with ASP (though I thought any COM components
could be "used" within the ASP framework so why the specification in the
book title?) <shrug>

Also, I had considered the ActivePerl approach, but it's been my experience
that when playing in the MS sandbox, better to use the stuff *they* like. ;-)
Plus, all of the Perl/CGI that I have to port is all-about sys-admin, so unless
I use something like the MKS Toolkit (with it's NT-ported shell commands), none
of *that* would port.

Thanks again Randy!

Sincerely,

--
VirtualSean

Quote:

>Sean C. Murphy says:

>>I am in the rudimentary stages of "porting" (yeah, right!) a set of
>>functionality currently implemented in Perl/CGI for Apache, to an
>>ASP-framed world.

>>The little bit of ASP (cookbook stuff) that I'd done in the past was implemented
>>using VBScript. Is there a stock argument (or set of arguments) for using one or
>>the other to implement ASP functionality? Is there any compelling argument to be
>>made for employing VB proper over the Scripting Edition in implementing an ASP
>>solution???

>There is no way to use Visual Basic as a language for ASP.
>ASP uses the Microsoft scripting engine, which supports VBScript and
>JScript.  Other scripting languages can be added, including Perl, so
>you may want to explore the idea of simply installing ActivePerl
>(available from www.activestate.com) and using PerlScript as your
>scripting language in ASP.   That would make porting the code a hassle
>free task.

>----------
>Randy Hunt
>MCP+I / MCSE

>visit
>www.wshscripting.com for WSH scripts
>www.serverscripting.com for server scripts

Fri, 12 Sep 2003 10:34:50 GMT

1. ASP ot VBScript / VBScript to ASP

2. urgent - Using OLE in VBScript/ASP to open a spreadsheet

3. newbie: Help with query on ADS from ASP page using VBScript

4. Using ASP + VBScript to provide non-HTML Content

5. Weird problem with files deltion using wininet HTTP and ASP vbscript

6. Geting data from LDAP using ASP/VBScript

7. I need help for locking a record (using ASP, IIS3.0, MS SQL6.5 and VBScript)

8. Client/server DB using Access-ASP-VBScript

9. Novice Question: Using VBScript + WMI within ASP

10. Using VBScript in an ASP page

11. using a class in vbscript/ASP in large production enviroment

12. CANNOT Date Format using vbscript on asp page into MYSQL dataBase