Formatting Time to GMT when current Time Zone not known
Author Message
 Formatting Time to GMT when current Time Zone not known

I'm writing a script that has a countdown placed in the document.title for
an HTML document.  In the long run, when the counter reaches 0, the user
will not be able to submit information (there will be a little leeway for
people taking their time).

I will have no idea who will have access to the site, and I want to make it
so that I am able to compile the info at a certain time each week (globally
declared).  I want to use GMT, but I'm not sure how to format the current
date without knowing the current time zone.

Please Help

Thanks in advance

Todd

Mon, 27 Dec 2004 10:27:10 GMT
 Formatting Time to GMT when current Time Zone not known
If you capture the current client time and compare this with the server
time, you can calculate the time offset. I used this method to display times
locally to visitors of a site, where normally sites use the server's time
zone.

Quote:
> I'm writing a script that has a countdown placed in the
> document.title for an HTML document.  In the long run, when the
> counter reaches 0, the user will not be able to submit information
> (there will be a little leeway for people taking their time).

> I will have no idea who will have access to the site, and I want to
> make it so that I am able to compile the info at a certain time each
> week (globally declared).  I want to use GMT, but I'm not sure how to
> format the current date without knowing the current time zone.

> Please Help

> Thanks in advance

> Todd

Mon, 27 Dec 2004 16:29:16 GMT
 Formatting Time to GMT when current Time Zone not known

Quote:
> I'm writing a script that has a countdown placed in the document.title for
> an HTML document.  In the long run, when the counter reaches 0, the user
> will not be able to submit information (there will be a little leeway for
> people taking their time).

> I will have no idea who will have access to the site, and I want to make
it
> so that I am able to compile the info at a certain time each week
(globally
> declared).  I want to use GMT, but I'm not sure how to format the current
> date without knowing the current time zone.

> Please Help

If you're doing a timer count down, why is the timezone (or base) relevant?
If there's 30 minutes left GMT there's also 30 minutes left EDT.

hth

--
Rickety

Mon, 27 Dec 2004 20:45:13 GMT
 Formatting Time to GMT when current Time Zone not known
Good idea, I'll keep that in mind.  Unfortunately I won't integrate any
server side until I'm sure that my project takes off.

Any other ideas?

Todd

Quote:
> If you capture the current client time and compare this with the server
> time, you can calculate the time offset. I used this method to display
times
> locally to visitors of a site, where normally sites use the server's time
> zone.

> > I'm writing a script that has a countdown placed in the
> > document.title for an HTML document.  In the long run, when the
> > counter reaches 0, the user will not be able to submit information
> > (there will be a little leeway for people taking their time).

> > I will have no idea who will have access to the site, and I want to
> > make it so that I am able to compile the info at a certain time each
> > week (globally declared).  I want to use GMT, but I'm not sure how to
> > format the current date without knowing the current time zone.

> > Please Help

> > Thanks in advance

> > Todd

Mon, 27 Dec 2004 23:50:35 GMT
 Formatting Time to GMT when current Time Zone not known
The reason for the timer is for all time zones is compatibility.  I wouldn't
expect somebody from Ireland to calculate Central Standard Time, and
similarily not expect somebody from San Fran to calculate the difference.
In short, ease of use.  All info must be received by a certain time to be
compiled.

The only other way around this is "Internet Time," as Swatch has Java apps
that show the time based on longitude compared to Biel, Switzerland.

Trust me ; )

Quote:

> > I'm writing a script that has a countdown placed in the document.title
for
> > an HTML document.  In the long run, when the counter reaches 0, the user
> > will not be able to submit information (there will be a little leeway
for
> > people taking their time).

> > I will have no idea who will have access to the site, and I want to make
> it
> > so that I am able to compile the info at a certain time each week
> (globally
> > declared).  I want to use GMT, but I'm not sure how to format the
current
> > date without knowing the current time zone.

> > Please Help

> If you're doing a timer count down, why is the timezone (or base)
relevant?
> If there's 30 minutes left GMT there's also 30 minutes left EDT.

> hth

> --
> Rickety

Mon, 27 Dec 2004 23:49:07 GMT
 Formatting Time to GMT when current Time Zone not known
I guess I didn't phrase my comment/question correctly

As you described the effect as a "countdown" I was thinking it could
indicate

"30 minutes to cut-off", and that the cutoff was globally, not locally,
timed.

I had read that the time was globally declared, so I thought that by
getting the difference between your local time and the targetted local time
for submissions.

If you propagate the difference and display it

"Submissions must be complete within 3 days 13 hours and 5 minutes" time
zones are immaterial.

If you add the difference to "now" in script, you could give them the date
and time in local terms couldn't you?

hth

--
Rickety

Quote:
> The reason for the timer is for all time zones is compatibility.  I
wouldn't
> expect somebody from Ireland to calculate Central Standard Time, and
> similarily not expect somebody from San Fran to calculate the difference.
> In short, ease of use.  All info must be received by a certain time to be
> compiled.

> The only other way around this is "Internet Time," as Swatch has Java apps
> that show the time based on longitude compared to Biel, Switzerland.

> Trust me ; )

> > > I'm writing a script that has a countdown placed in the document.title
> for
> > > an HTML document.  In the long run, when the counter reaches 0, the
user
> > > will not be able to submit information (there will be a little leeway
> for
> > > people taking their time).

> > > I will have no idea who will have access to the site, and I want to
make
> > it
> > > so that I am able to compile the info at a certain time each week
> > (globally
> > > declared).  I want to use GMT, but I'm not sure how to format the
> current
> > > date without knowing the current time zone.

> > > Please Help

> > If you're doing a timer count down, why is the timezone (or base)
> relevant?
> > If there's 30 minutes left GMT there's also 30 minutes left EDT.

> > hth

> > --
> > Rickety

Tue, 28 Dec 2004 01:45:21 GMT

1. -> GMT time zone in VB5

2. World Time Zones GMT

3. Getting time zone/GMT

4. World Time Zones GMT

5. Daylight saving - winter time - summer time - time zone

6. Daylight saving - winter time - summer time - time zone

7. Daylight saving - winter time - summer time - time zone

8. GMT time, BootUp time

9. GMT Time Format

10. Time & Time Zones

11. time zones and daylight saving time

12. Real time From Time Zone information