End Process in Win 2000 Pro
Author Message
 End Process in Win 2000 Pro

When I use the following script to end the explorer.exe process in Windows 2000, Another process is started and the explorer shell runs again.  This doesn't happen when you end the process manually.  Is there anything I can do?

exeName = "explorer.exe"
set wmi = getobject("winmgmts:")
wql = "select * from win32_process " _
& "where name='" & exeName & "'"
set results = wmi.execquery(wql,,48)
for each process in results
process.terminate
next

Sat, 28 May 2005 01:26:50 GMT
 End Process in Win 2000 Pro

Quote:

> When I use the following script to end the explorer.exe process in
> Windows 2000, Another process is started and the explorer shell runs
> again.  This doesn't happen when you end the process manually.  Is
> there anything I can do?

Why would you want to do this?  Your original question was in the context of
a tray app, not Windows Explorer.  If Windows Explorer didn't restart
automatically, how would you do anything in Windows?

Quote:

--
Michael Harris
Microsoft.MVP.Scripting

Sat, 28 May 2005 01:46:06 GMT
 End Process in Win 2000 Pro
With explorer.exe shut down, I can still launch command.com.  The reason for this is to delete the index.dat file in the cookies directory.  You can't delete the index.dat file while windows is running, but I found if you end the explorer.exe process, you can delete index.dat

Sat, 28 May 2005 02:25:08 GMT

1. Win 2000 Pro Restart - Again??

2. Join a Win 2000 Professional to Win 2000 Domain

3. Word97 macros in Win 2000 Pro

4. can't debug sql server 7.0 in win 2000 pro

5. MSACCESS process won't end when out of scope

6. Trying to Create a communicator for VB.net Front End and SQL 2000 back end

7. API code for Ending a process in NT TaskMgr/Processes Tab

8. win 2000 vs win me

9. Windows 2000 Pro - Shutdown/Restart PC

10. Installing VBScript on Windows 2000 Pro

11. How to hide my process from Process Liste with win XP

12. Check a Windows 2000 Process for Utilization