Help import Directory and file names into a Doc file
Author Message
 Help import Directory and file names into a Doc file

Hi Gang,

How can I import a directory tree showing the "long" directory names and
"long' file names, plus file sizes and the file dates and times into a
word97 or ascii text document. I've tried using the good old, DOS "Dir
c:\files >myfile.txt" trick in a batch file. That creates a file called
myfile.txt that is a simple directory list. However, as you'd guess, it
returns only the old DOS short, 8 char plus an extension, directory and
file names. What a drag!

I sure hope you have some ideas on this. It'd be a big help to me.

Thanks so much,
Dave

Fri, 26 Jul 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Help import Directory and file names into a Doc file

You don't say what version of Windows, but on my Win98 box at home, "DIR C:\whatever /OGN > some.txt" includes the long directory and file names in a column on the right.  The /OGN just makes everything nice and neat ;-)...

--
Michael Harris

  Hi Gang,

  How can I import a directory tree showing the "long" directory names and
  "long' file names, plus file sizes and the file dates and times into a
  word97 or ascii text document. I've tried using the good old, DOS "Dir
  c:\files >myfile.txt" trick in a batch file. That creates a file called
  myfile.txt that is a simple directory list. However, as you'd guess, it
  returns only the old DOS short, 8 char plus an extension, directory and
  file names. What a drag!

  I sure hope you have some ideas on this. It'd be a big help to me.

  Thanks so much,
  Dave

Fri, 26 Jul 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. Import all files in directory into Access db--regardless of file name

2. Importing files from a directory where the file names are stored in a table

3. dynamically getting file name when saving DOC file in VB

4. Sorting files by file name inside a directory

5. Sorting files by file name inside a directory

6. Returning all file names from given folder directory and all sub-directories

7. Naming files in a directory after the directory

8. Auto Download of doc files into new doc file from a web site

9. How to extract directory name from full file name

10. Validating DIRECTORY names and FILE names...

11. .doc or .wri file import code

12. help: how to import an image file in a PS file