Open File Dialog Box
Author Message
 Open File Dialog Box

Using either VBScript or WSH is there any way to open a
file open dialog box and have it send back the file that
was double clicked on?  Anything close to this?  I want my
users to be able to browse for the file in question.

Mon, 23 Feb 2004 23:09:06 GMT
 Open File Dialog Box
hi James,

There are two scripts attached.

1). Shows how to use the InternetExplorer's open dialog, (Author: Tom
Lavedas).

2). Shows how to use Microsoft's Common Dialog ocx to display the open
dialog (will not work unless you are licensed to use the msComDlg.ocx).
(Author: me)

cheers, jw

Quote:
> Using either VBScript or WSH is there any way to open a
> file open dialog box and have it send back the file that
> was double clicked on?  Anything close to this?  I want my
> users to be able to browse for the file in question.

begin 600 Deleted Attachment.txt

`
end

begin 600 Deleted Attachment.txt
M66]U<B!A='1A8VAM96YT(")T97-T35-#;VUM;VY$;&<N=F)S(B!C;VYT86EN

`
end

Tue, 24 Feb 2004 03:55:18 GMT
 Open File Dialog Box
The two files I found attached contained text such as:

--------------------
Your attachment "testMSCommonDlg.vbs" contained virus:
         "UNAUTHORIZED FILE
It was deleted and replaced with this text file.
--------------------

Now, I doubt that this is truly the case, as the Norton Antivirus running on
our server at work quarantined two of my scripts using its heralded
"{*filter*}hound" technology. I am just wondering if these false positives are a
widespread problem, and, if so, what can be done about it.

/Al

Quote:
> hi James,

> There are two scripts attached.

> 1). Shows how to use the InternetExplorer's open dialog, (Author: Tom
> Lavedas).

> 2). Shows how to use Microsoft's Common Dialog ocx to display the open
> dialog (will not work unless you are licensed to use the msComDlg.ocx).
> (Author: me)

> cheers, jw

> > Using either VBScript or WSH is there any way to open a
> > file open dialog box and have it send back the file that
> > was double clicked on?  Anything close to this?  I want my
> > users to be able to browse for the file in question.

Thu, 04 Mar 2004 06:41:34 GMT
 Open File Dialog Box
hi Al,

This is the entire text of the "testMSCommonDlg.vbs" file:

--- <snip> ---
' demo script to show how to invoke the open dialog,
'   assuming that COMDLG32.OCX is installed and registered
'   and properly licensed on your machine.  jw 28Oct00

Option Explicit

Dim oComDlg  ' As Object
Const MAX_PATH = 260
Const sIndent = "     "

  Set oComDlg = CreateObject("MSComDlg.CommonDialog")
  With oComDlg
    .DialogTitle = "Get me a File!"
    .MaxFileSize = CInt(MAX_PATH)
    .Filter = "Documents|*.doc|Templates|*.dot|Text Files|*.txt"
    .ShowOpen

    MsgBox "Open Dialog returned this filename: " & vbCrLf & vbCrLf _
        & sIndent & .FileName
  End With

Set oComDlg = Nothing  ' clean up
WScript.Quit
--- </snip> ---

I personally can't see the virus in there, but then I'm just an amateur.

cheers, jw

Quote:
> The two files I found attached contained text such as:

> --------------------
> Your attachment "testMSCommonDlg.vbs" contained virus:
>          "UNAUTHORIZED FILE
> It was deleted and replaced with this text file.
> --------------------

> Now, I doubt that this is truly the case, as the Norton Antivirus running
on
> our server at work quarantined two of my scripts using its heralded
> "{*filter*}hound" technology. I am just wondering if these false positives are
> widespread problem, and, if so, what can be done about it.

> /Al

> > hi James,

> > There are two scripts attached.

> > 1). Shows how to use the InternetExplorer's open dialog, (Author: Tom
> > Lavedas).

> > 2). Shows how to use Microsoft's Common Dialog ocx to display the open
> > dialog (will not work unless you are licensed to use the msComDlg.ocx).
> > (Author: me)

> > cheers, jw

> > > Using either VBScript or WSH is there any way to open a
> > > file open dialog box and have it send back the file that
> > > was double clicked on?  Anything close to this?  I want my
> > > users to be able to browse for the file in question.

Sat, 06 Mar 2004 04:49:43 GMT
 Open File Dialog Box

Quote:
> hi Al,

> This is the entire text of the "testMSCommonDlg.vbs" file:

> --- <snip> ---
> ' demo script to show how to invoke the open dialog,
> '   assuming that COMDLG32.OCX is installed and registered
> '   and properly licensed on your machine.  jw 28Oct00

> Option Explicit

> Dim oComDlg  ' As Object
> Const MAX_PATH = 260
> Const sIndent = "     "

>   Set oComDlg = CreateObject("MSComDlg.CommonDialog")
>   With oComDlg
>     .DialogTitle = "Get me a File!"
>     .MaxFileSize = CInt(MAX_PATH)
>     .Filter = "Documents|*.doc|Templates|*.dot|Text Files|*.txt"
>     .ShowOpen

>     MsgBox "Open Dialog returned this filename: " & vbCrLf & vbCrLf _
>         & sIndent & .FileName
>   End With

> Set oComDlg = Nothing  ' clean up
> WScript.Quit
> --- </snip> ---

> I personally can't see the virus in there, but then I'm just an amateur.

Well, that may be what you sent, but is it what got into my inbox? Anyway, I
see nothing wrong with the code as listed above. It must be something that
NAV is doing on my PC.

/Al

> cheers, jw

> > The two files I found attached contained text such as:

> > --------------------
> > Your attachment "testMSCommonDlg.vbs" contained virus:
> >          "UNAUTHORIZED FILE
> > It was deleted and replaced with this text file.
> > --------------------

> > Now, I doubt that this is truly the case, as the Norton Antivirus
running
> on
> > our server at work quarantined two of my scripts using its heralded
> > "{*filter*}hound" technology. I am just wondering if these false positives
are
> > widespread problem, and, if so, what can be done about it.

> > /Al

> > > hi James,

> > > There are two scripts attached.

> > > 1). Shows how to use the InternetExplorer's open dialog, (Author: Tom
> > > Lavedas).

> > > 2). Shows how to use Microsoft's Common Dialog ocx to display the open
> > > dialog (will not work unless you are licensed to use the
msComDlg.ocx).
> > > (Author: me)

> > > cheers, jw

Sat, 06 Mar 2004 10:13:50 GMT
 Open File Dialog Box
hi Al,

It could be that NAV is playing it safe, and not allowing ANY vbScript
attachments into your pc, regardless of whether they contain any malicious
content or not.

That solution is roughly equivalent to not allowing any Moslems into the
U.S., regardless of their past history, so as to avoid any possibility of
terrorism.

I suppose that I ought to refrain from attaching vbScripts to any eMails,
and just include the code in the posting.

What a world we live in...

cheers, jw

Quote:

> > hi Al,

> > This is the entire text of the "testMSCommonDlg.vbs" file:

> > --- <snip> ---
> > ' demo script to show how to invoke the open dialog,
> > '   assuming that COMDLG32.OCX is installed and registered
> > '   and properly licensed on your machine.  jw 28Oct00

> > Option Explicit

> > Dim oComDlg  ' As Object
> > Const MAX_PATH = 260
> > Const sIndent = "     "

> >   Set oComDlg = CreateObject("MSComDlg.CommonDialog")
> >   With oComDlg
> >     .DialogTitle = "Get me a File!"
> >     .MaxFileSize = CInt(MAX_PATH)
> >     .Filter = "Documents|*.doc|Templates|*.dot|Text Files|*.txt"
> >     .ShowOpen

> >     MsgBox "Open Dialog returned this filename: " & vbCrLf & vbCrLf _
> >         & sIndent & .FileName
> >   End With

> > Set oComDlg = Nothing  ' clean up
> > WScript.Quit
> > --- </snip> ---

> > I personally can't see the virus in there, but then I'm just an amateur.

> Well, that may be what you sent, but is it what got into my inbox? Anyway,
> see nothing wrong with the code as listed above. It must be something that
> NAV is doing on my PC.

> /Al

> > cheers, jw

> > > The two files I found attached contained text such as:

> > > --------------------
> > > Your attachment "testMSCommonDlg.vbs" contained virus:
> > >          "UNAUTHORIZED FILE
> > > It was deleted and replaced with this text file.
> > > --------------------

> > > Now, I doubt that this is truly the case, as the Norton Antivirus
> running
> > on
> > > our server at work quarantined two of my scripts using its heralded
> > > "{*filter*}hound" technology. I am just wondering if these false positives
> are
> > > widespread problem, and, if so, what can be done about it.

> > > /Al

message

Tom

> msComDlg.ocx).

Sun, 07 Mar 2004 01:55:29 GMT
 Open File Dialog Box
Just out of curiosity, I went back to my original posting (9/6/01, 3:55pm)
and downloaded the vbs files there.  Then I opened them (how courageous!) to
see what they contained, i.e., to see if anything malicious had been
appended to them.

As it turns out, they made the "round trip" un-{*filter*}erated.  There was no
virus there, unless it was invisible to me.

In addition, NAV is running on my machine, scanning in-coming eMail, and NAV
didn't detect anything either.

Maybe your NAV is better than mine.

However, as to the underlying point, yes... it's preferabke to post vbs code
in the posted message, rather than as an attachment, as any attachment with
a "vbs" extension is suspect.

cheers, jw

Quote:

> > > The two files I found attached contained text such as:

> > > --------------------
> > > Your attachment "testMSCommonDlg.vbs" contained virus:
> > >          "UNAUTHORIZED FILE
> > > It was deleted and replaced with this text file.
> > > --------------------

> > > Now, I doubt that this is truly the case, as the Norton Antivirus
> running
> > on
> > > our server at work quarantined two of my scripts using its heralded
> > > "{*filter*}hound" technology. I am just wondering if these false positives
> are
> > > widespread problem, and, if so, what can be done about it.

> > > /Al

Mon, 08 Mar 2004 05:06:24 GMT
 Open File Dialog Box
Actually if you're up-to-date on your Office service packs and general MS
hotfixes, Outlook prevents you from accessing certian attachments based on
extension.

Bob L

Quote:
> Just out of curiosity, I went back to my original posting (9/6/01, 3:55pm)
> and downloaded the vbs files there.  Then I opened them (how courageous!)
> see what they contained, i.e., to see if anything malicious had been
> appended to them.

> As it turns out, they made the "round trip" un-{*filter*}erated.  There was no
> virus there, unless it was invisible to me.

> In addition, NAV is running on my machine, scanning in-coming eMail, and
NAV
> didn't detect anything either.

> Maybe your NAV is better than mine.

> However, as to the underlying point, yes... it's preferabke to post vbs
code
> in the posted message, rather than as an attachment, as any attachment
with
> a "vbs" extension is suspect.

> cheers, jw

> > running
> > > on
> > are

Mon, 08 Mar 2004 05:25:08 GMT

1. Open file dialog box and upload file

2. Open File Dialog Box

3. Open File Dialog Box

4. Open file Dialog Box in Access..Please Help

5. Open File Dialog Box

6. open file dialog box?

7. Open File Dialog Box

8. How to have a open file dialog box

9. Open File Dialog Box

10. paste or sendkeys into an Open File dialog box

11. Open File dialog box

12. invoke the Open file dialog box in DHTML