500 error instead of VBScript error
Author Message
 500 error instead of VBScript error

Hey,

I am having a problem that drives me crazy. I am working on two different
IIS5 machines and one IIS4 with NT 4.0. Let say I create a file test.asp.
Here is the code I am executing.

<%
    Response.Write "test
%>

I do not put quotes at the end. Usually it should give me an error with the
description and line number. Instead I get an 500 error page with the
generic description such as 404 File not found.

Then I closed the window and fixed the error in the same file.

<%
    Response.Write "test"
%>

It displays "test". Then I removed the last quotes again AND I received a
regular ASP error message with line and error number and description.

I went to the microsoft site and several other ASP sites but I could not
find an answer. I had the exact same problem on a another server I was
working on. First I thought it was just a regular error on the system but
even after reinstalling on a fresh system I had the same generic 500.

I am using InterDev so I went ahead and played around. Whenever I "ADD" a
new html file but name it .asp I receive the regular ASP error but if I add
an ASP page it does not. However I do not think its an InterDev error
because I have the same thing if I create an asp file in explorer.

If anyone has suggestions I would be more then glad.

Thanks
Chris

Sun, 04 May 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 500 error instead of VBScript error

It's IE setting related.

In IE, go to "Tools" -> "Internet Option" -> "Advanced", uncheck "Show
friendly HTTP error message"

Kur

Quote:
> Hey,

> I am having a problem that drives me crazy. I am working on two different
> IIS5 machines and one IIS4 with NT 4.0. Let say I create a file test.asp.
> Here is the code I am executing.

> <%
>     Response.Write "test
> %>

> I do not put quotes at the end. Usually it should give me an error with
the
> description and line number. Instead I get an 500 error page with the
> generic description such as 404 File not found.

> Then I closed the window and fixed the error in the same file.

> <%
>     Response.Write "test"
> %>

> It displays "test". Then I removed the last quotes again AND I received a
> regular ASP error message with line and error number and description.

> I went to the microsoft site and several other ASP sites but I could not
> find an answer. I had the exact same problem on a another server I was
> working on. First I thought it was just a regular error on the system but
> even after reinstalling on a fresh system I had the same generic 500.

> I am using InterDev so I went ahead and played around. Whenever I "ADD" a
> new html file but name it .asp I receive the regular ASP error but if I
add
> an ASP page it does not. However I do not think its an InterDev error
> because I have the same thing if I create an asp file in explorer.

> If anyone has suggestions I would be more then glad.

> Thanks
> Chris

Sun, 04 May 2003 03:00:00 GMT

1. Custom 500 error page - trapping the error text?

2. What does 500 Server Error mean?

3. 500 Server Error

4. HTTP 500 Internal server error

5. HTTP 500 Internal server error

6. ASP http 500 error / Frames / Please Help

7. HTTP 500 - Internal server error ASP

8. error http 500

9. Response.Redirect 500 Internal server error

10. HTTP 500 - Internal server error

11. IIS Error (500)

12. registration form check and Enter into database produces server 500 error