ASP works on Personal Web Server, but not on remote server
Author Message
 ASP works on Personal Web Server, but not on remote server

On one of my ASP pages, I use Left() to extract the first paragraph off of a
story.  It works on my Personal Web Server at home, but not when I upload it
to my remote site.  Here is the error:

Microsoft VBScript runtime error '800a0005'

Invalid procedure call or argument: 'Left'

/usctoday/index.asp, line 85

Sun, 22 Jun 2003 10:35:18 GMT
 ASP works on Personal Web Server, but not on remote server
John: it might be a bit more helpful to see the actual code you're trying to
execute.

Quote:
> On one of my ASP pages, I use Left() to extract the first paragraph off of
> story.  It works on my Personal Web Server at home, but not when I upload
it
> to my remote site.  Here is the error:

> Microsoft VBScript runtime error '800a0005'

> Invalid procedure call or argument: 'Left'

> /usctoday/index.asp, line 85

Sun, 22 Jun 2003 11:25:34 GMT
 ASP works on Personal Web Server, but not on remote server
<% strTeaser = Left(Cstr(RS(2)),instr(1,Cstr(RS(2)),"</p>"))
       strTeaser = Left(strTeaser,(len(strTeaser) - 1)) %>

Quote:
> John: it might be a bit more helpful to see the actual code you're trying
> execute.

> > On one of my ASP pages, I use Left() to extract the first paragraph off
of
> > story.  It works on my Personal Web Server at home, but not when I
upload
> it
> > to my remote site.  Here is the error:

> > Microsoft VBScript runtime error '800a0005'

> > Invalid procedure call or argument: 'Left'

> > /usctoday/index.asp, line 85

Sun, 22 Jun 2003 13:01:13 GMT
 ASP works on Personal Web Server, but not on remote server
Note that the error message includes "...or argument...".

You need to check what the argument values actually are that are being
passed to Left().

The only way I know of to deliberately get Left() to throw this error is to
pass it a negative number as the 2nd argument.

--
Michael Harris
Microsoft.MVP.Scripting

> On one of my ASP pages, I use Left() to extract the first paragraph off of
> story.  It works on my Personal Web Server at home, but not when I upload
it
> to my remote site.  Here is the error:

> Microsoft VBScript runtime error '800a0005'

> Invalid procedure call or argument: 'Left'

> /usctoday/index.asp, line 85

Sun, 22 Jun 2003 13:42:27 GMT
 ASP works on Personal Web Server, but not on remote server
<% strTeaser = Left(Cstr(RS(2)),instr(1,Cstr(RS(2)),"</p>"))
       strTeaser = Left(strTeaser,(len(strTeaser) - 1)) %>

You have 2 instances of Left() here - which one fails???  (My bet is on the
2nd ;-)...

if in the 1st one

strTeaser = Left(Cstr(RS(2)),instr(1,Cstr(RS(2)),"</p>"))

the instr() doesn't find "</p>" (case sensitive) in CStr(RS(2)) then
strTeaser winds up being assigned an empty string.  The instr() resolves to
0 which is valid as the 2nd arg of Left() but causes it to return an empty
string.

But then in

strTeaser = Left(strTeaser,(len(strTeaser) - 1))

(len(strTeaser) - 1)) will resolve to -1 if strTeaser is already empty.

Passing a negative number to the 2nd arg of Left() will throw exactly the
error you get...

--
Michael Harris
Microsoft.MVP.Scripting

> <% strTeaser = Left(Cstr(RS(2)),instr(1,Cstr(RS(2)),"</p>"))
>        strTeaser = Left(strTeaser,(len(strTeaser) - 1)) %>

> > John: it might be a bit more helpful to see the actual code you're
trying
> > execute.

> > > On one of my ASP pages, I use Left() to extract the first paragraph
off
> of
> > > story.  It works on my Personal Web Server at home, but not when I
> upload
> > it
> > > to my remote site.  Here is the error:

> > > Microsoft VBScript runtime error '800a0005'

> > > Invalid procedure call or argument: 'Left'

> > > /usctoday/index.asp, line 85

Sun, 22 Jun 2003 14:19:25 GMT
 ASP works on Personal Web Server, but not on remote server
Okay, it's the second, yet it works on my data at home.  My database at home
isn't the same as the one on the site, but they're similar.  So, what is the
solution?

Quote:
> <% strTeaser = Left(Cstr(RS(2)),instr(1,Cstr(RS(2)),"</p>"))
>        strTeaser = Left(strTeaser,(len(strTeaser) - 1)) %>

> You have 2 instances of Left() here - which one fails???  (My bet is on
the
> 2nd ;-)...

> if in the 1st one

> strTeaser = Left(Cstr(RS(2)),instr(1,Cstr(RS(2)),"</p>"))

> the instr() doesn't find "</p>" (case sensitive) in CStr(RS(2)) then
> strTeaser winds up being assigned an empty string.  The instr() resolves
> 0 which is valid as the 2nd arg of Left() but causes it to return an empty
> string.

> But then in

> strTeaser = Left(strTeaser,(len(strTeaser) - 1))

> (len(strTeaser) - 1)) will resolve to -1 if strTeaser is already empty.

> Passing a negative number to the 2nd arg of Left() will throw exactly the
> error you get...

> --
> Michael Harris
> Microsoft.MVP.Scripting
> --

> Please do not email questions - post them to the newsgroup instead.
> --

> > <% strTeaser = Left(Cstr(RS(2)),instr(1,Cstr(RS(2)),"</p>"))
> >        strTeaser = Left(strTeaser,(len(strTeaser) - 1)) %>

> > > John: it might be a bit more helpful to see the actual code you're
> trying
> > > execute.

> off
> > of
> > upload
> > > it

Sun, 22 Jun 2003 14:32:58 GMT
 ASP works on Personal Web Server, but not on remote server
??? Defensive programming ???

Have you looked at the actual values you're working with?  Does RS(2)
actually contain "</p>" in lower case? Is there anything anywhere in any of
this that guarantees that the data used in the first instr() will always be
successful (in this case non-zero)?

--
Michael Harris
Microsoft.MVP.Scripting

> Okay, it's the second, yet it works on my data at home.  My database at
home
> isn't the same as the one on the site, but they're similar.  So, what is
the
> solution?

> > <% strTeaser = Left(Cstr(RS(2)),instr(1,Cstr(RS(2)),"</p>"))
> >        strTeaser = Left(strTeaser,(len(strTeaser) - 1)) %>

> > You have 2 instances of Left() here - which one fails???  (My bet is on
> the
> > 2nd ;-)...

> > if in the 1st one

> > strTeaser = Left(Cstr(RS(2)),instr(1,Cstr(RS(2)),"</p>"))

> > the instr() doesn't find "</p>" (case sensitive) in CStr(RS(2)) then
> > strTeaser winds up being assigned an empty string.  The instr() resolves
> > 0 which is valid as the 2nd arg of Left() but causes it to return an
empty
> > string.

> > But then in

> > strTeaser = Left(strTeaser,(len(strTeaser) - 1))

> > (len(strTeaser) - 1)) will resolve to -1 if strTeaser is already empty.

> > Passing a negative number to the 2nd arg of Left() will throw exactly
the
> > error you get...

> > --
> > Michael Harris
> > Microsoft.MVP.Scripting
> > --

> > Please do not email questions - post them to the newsgroup instead.
> > --

> > > <% strTeaser = Left(Cstr(RS(2)),instr(1,Cstr(RS(2)),"</p>"))
> > >        strTeaser = Left(strTeaser,(len(strTeaser) - 1)) %>

> > trying

> > off
> > > of
> > > upload

Sun, 22 Jun 2003 14:51:47 GMT
 ASP works on Personal Web Server, but not on remote server
Why don't you clean up the code a bit.  Try something like:

myStory = CStr(rs(2))
paraPos = InStr(1, LCase(myStory), "</p>")   ' LCase handles any case
sensitivity
If paraPos <> 0 Then
    firstPara = Mid(myStory, 1, paraPos - 1)
Else
    do something else here when </p> isn't found
End If

Quote:
> Okay, it's the second, yet it works on my data at home.  My database at
home
> isn't the same as the one on the site, but they're similar.  So, what is
the
> solution?

> > <% strTeaser = Left(Cstr(RS(2)),instr(1,Cstr(RS(2)),"</p>"))
> >        strTeaser = Left(strTeaser,(len(strTeaser) - 1)) %>

> > You have 2 instances of Left() here - which one fails???  (My bet is on
> the
> > 2nd ;-)...

> > if in the 1st one

> > strTeaser = Left(Cstr(RS(2)),instr(1,Cstr(RS(2)),"</p>"))

> > the instr() doesn't find "</p>" (case sensitive) in CStr(RS(2)) then
> > strTeaser winds up being assigned an empty string.  The instr() resolves
> > 0 which is valid as the 2nd arg of Left() but causes it to return an
empty
> > string.

> > But then in

> > strTeaser = Left(strTeaser,(len(strTeaser) - 1))

> > (len(strTeaser) - 1)) will resolve to -1 if strTeaser is already empty.

> > Passing a negative number to the 2nd arg of Left() will throw exactly
the
> > error you get...

> > --
> > Michael Harris
> > Microsoft.MVP.Scripting
> > --

> > Please do not email questions - post them to the newsgroup instead.
> > --

> > > <% strTeaser = Left(Cstr(RS(2)),instr(1,Cstr(RS(2)),"</p>"))
> > >        strTeaser = Left(strTeaser,(len(strTeaser) - 1)) %>

> > trying

> > off
> > > of
> > > upload

Mon, 23 Jun 2003 06:36:11 GMT

1. remote scripting and personal web server

2. Server side pages on Personal Web Server

3. Personal Web Server and ASP

4. asp pages w/personal web server???

5. DHTML/SQL Server app works fine internally, not on web server

6. VB server/client remote component not working - Please Help

7. First VB server/client remote component not working

8. VB server/client remote component not working - Please Help

9. First VB server/client remote component not working

10. VB server/client remote component not working - Please Help

11. First VB server/client remote component not working

12. Question: Debugging scripts with MS Visual interDev 6.0 on Personal Web Server