Encoding w/ MS Scripting Encoder
Author Message
 Encoding w/ MS Scripting Encoder

I'm using Microsoft's Scripting Encoder to encrypt some JScript and am
wondering exactly how easy it is to decode.  While I have no qualms
whatsoever about sharing my source, the client I am working for would like
as much hidden as possible.  I am thinking that anyone who had the expertise
to decode the script would not find anything there they did not already know
how to do.  I would be very interested in hearing from others on this
subject, however.  How would I go about decrypting the script?  Is it worth
it?

Cheers, Christe

Christe Respess
Devcor, Inc.
San Diego, Ca

Tue, 10 Dec 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Encoding w/ MS Scripting Encoder
I imagine a intelligent hack could break it in a few hours. It must have
already been done by someone somewhere.

I doubt anyone that is clever enough to break an encryption system would be
in need of knowing some JScript.

--
Dominic

Tue, 10 Dec 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Encoding w/ MS Scripting Encoder

Quote:
> I imagine a intelligent hack could break it in a few hours. It must have
> already been done by someone somewhere.

It's been done several times, also in JScript ;)

Quote:
> I doubt anyone that is clever enough to break an encryption system would
be
> in need of knowing some JScript.

Encryption system? What are you talking about?!?

There is NO encryption involved here, it's pure code obfuscation.

More info:
http://x31.deja.com/[ST_rn=ps]/getdoc.xp?AN=543258394

--
Thor Larholm

Wed, 11 Dec 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Encoding w/ MS Scripting Encoder
I use encoding, encryption too-freely they are different, and I promise to
remember :)

--
Dominic

Wed, 11 Dec 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Encoding w/ MS Scripting Encoder
I have never used the encoder. The comp.lang.javascript has some
references to opinions about it, one official from MS's Peter Torr that
is I remember right says something along the lines that they choose good
performance over good encoding as they just want to make sure there is a
hurdle you have to take to get at the code. Check the faq for the
precise opinion

Quote:

--

        Martin Honnen
        http://javascript.faqts.com/

Wed, 11 Dec 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Encoding w/ MS Scripting Encoder

Quote:
> I have never used the encoder. The comp.lang.javascript has some
> references to opinions about it, one official from MS's Peter Torr that
> is I remember right says something along the lines that they choose good
> performance over good encoding as they just want to make sure there is a
> hurdle you have to take to get at the code.

Yup...

Someone else just posted a link to one of my old posts:

http://x31.deja.com/[ST_rn=ps]/getdoc.xp?AN=543258394

Peter

--
Peter J. Torr - Microsoft Windows Script Program Manager

Please do not e-mail me with questions - post them to this
newsgroup instead. Thankyou!

Sat, 14 Dec 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. How to Encode ASP Files Using MS Script Encoder

2. Encode scripts using Scripting.Encoder

3. Microsoft Encoder : How to run encoded scripts ?

4. How to install MS Script encoder

5. MS Windows Script Encoder

6. Help installing MS Scripting encoder

7. MS Script Encoder Performance

8. Trouble combining encoded script with non-encoded script

9. Can I use the MS script encoder to encode stored procedures?

10. Ms-Windows Encoding Vector?

11. VB / Script Encoder question for the MVP Scripting team

12. Script Encoder Beta 1 Released to the scripting web site