Getting a URL from a file browsed for by the user.
Author Message
 Getting a URL from a file browsed for by the user.

Hello,

I need to allow a user to browse for a file, but pick up the URL of the
file, rather than the local path. The goal is to have users specify the
locations of several files and pass those locations to a SQL db in the form
of URLs so that they can be linked to by other pages.

TIA

Sat, 09 Oct 2004 03:22:44 GMT
 Getting a URL from a file browsed for by the user.
Sorry for the late reply, but I didn't notice this until now. Well,
regarding your question, you need to do string manipulation to accomplish
that. The only way a user can provide you with the local path to a file is
by the <input type="file" /> tag, unless you choose to write your own Java
applet to do so. If you are going to allow them to upload a file to your
server, use the multipart/form-data enctype, and use a server-side script to
process the file. Let me know if this is what you want. I can point you to a
very good COM component that lets you do that.

Hope that helps.
Mario Vargas

Quote:
> Hello,

> I need to allow a user to browse for a file, but pick up the URL of the
> file, rather than the local path. The goal is to have users specify the
> locations of several files and pass those locations to a SQL db in the
form
> of URLs so that they can be linked to by other pages.

> TIA

Sat, 09 Oct 2004 03:55:25 GMT

1. URL, Getting the url using asp

2. Getting full list of Domain Users is not working properly - some users missing

3. Getting full list of Domain Users is not working properly - some users missing

4. How do I restrict Netscape users from browsing my page

5. WSH that makes a url file Makes BlueDragon.url

6. Extracting the URL from a url-file

7. Getting current IE document URL

8. Getting the URL from a page

9. Getting URL parameters

10. Getting URL of a frame, is it possible ?

11. Getting currently loaded URL.

12. getting the url address in vb