Graphics with Javascript
Author Message
 Graphics with Javascript

Hello!

I'm an old programmer but a newbie in this bussiness.
I wish to draw shapes (circles, rectangles, ellipses) on a document and then
enable click on them to jump to another page.
Is it possible without Java programming? (I mean applets).
TIA
Regards
--
 Jos Luis Otermin

ICQ 8797524

Fri, 08 Oct 2004 05:12:17 GMT
 Graphics with Javascript

Quote:
> I wish to draw shapes (circles, rectangles, ellipses) on a document
> and then enable click on them to jump to another page.
> Is it possible without Java programming? (I mean applets).

In IE you can use VML...

Vector Markup Language (VML) Overview
Web Workshop - Specs & Standards -- VML Overview
http://msdn.microsoft.com/workshop/author/vml/default.asp

VML Reference
MSDN Online-VML Introduction
http://msdn.microsoft.com/workshop/author/vml/shape/introduction.asp

--
Michael Harris
Microsoft.MVP.Scripting

Fri, 08 Oct 2004 09:29:30 GMT
 Graphics with Javascript
Hi Michael,

Thanks for your prompt answer.
I will take a look.
Regards
--
 Jos Luis Otermin

ICQ 8797524

Quote:
> I wish to draw shapes (circles, rectangles, ellipses) on a document
> and then enable click on them to jump to another page.
> Is it possible without Java programming? (I mean applets).

In IE you can use VML...

Vector Markup Language (VML) Overview
Web Workshop - Specs & Standards -- VML Overview
http://msdn.microsoft.com/workshop/author/vml/default.asp

VML Reference
MSDN Online-VML Introduction
http://msdn.microsoft.com/workshop/author/vml/shape/introduction.asp

--
Michael Harris
Microsoft.MVP.Scripting
Seattle WA US
--

Fri, 08 Oct 2004 06:55:59 GMT
 Graphics with Javascript

Fri, 19 Jun 1992 00:00:00 GMT
 Graphics with Javascript
I've done a good bit of work with VML, but will it survive?  SVG is the real
standard.  Will IE support it?

Thanks,
Quin

Quote:
> I wish to draw shapes (circles, rectangles, ellipses) on a document
> and then enable click on them to jump to another page.
> Is it possible without Java programming? (I mean applets).

In IE you can use VML...

Vector Markup Language (VML) Overview
Web Workshop - Specs & Standards -- VML Overview
http://msdn.microsoft.com/workshop/author/vml/default.asp

VML Reference
MSDN Online-VML Introduction
http://msdn.microsoft.com/workshop/author/vml/shape/introduction.asp

--
Michael Harris
Microsoft.MVP.Scripting
Seattle WA US
--

Fri, 08 Oct 2004 21:56:42 GMT
 Graphics with Javascript

I belive VML will survive if it evolves.
This nutcase-religion about standards has to end.
I cannot use SVG because my visitors simply refuses to add yet another
plugin, but over 90% of my visitors has IE5 and thus supports VML.
This is called 'the real world'.
Check this for examples of other things VML can do, than what you
normally expect.
http://www.naltabyte.se/space

Live long and prosper(^-^)y

Sun, 05 Dec 2004 16:39:33 GMT
 Graphics with Javascript

Quote:

> I belive VML will survive if it evolves.
> This nutcase-religion about standards has to end.
> I cannot use SVG because my visitors simply refuses to add yet another
> plugin, but over 90% of my visitors has IE5 and thus supports VML.
> This is called 'the real world'.
> Check this for examples of other things VML can do, than what you
> normally expect.
> http://www.naltabyte.se/space

I refuse to add another plugin.
I refuse to cater to the browser wars.
If IE can do it - they all can.
Push for a DOM.
Push for the browsers to actually follow it.

But if I have to download something special to see your page - sorry,
bye-bye.

~kaeli~

Sun, 19 Dec 2004 01:16:43 GMT
 Graphics with Javascript

Pathetic.
Would have been a good point in another dimension.
VML is XML, and it'd running nativly in a browser without plugins,
unlike SVG, which you probably support.
XML is not an unheard of format, and VML was submitted to w3c and became
the basis for SVG.
It's not perfect, but it's the closest thing for the moment.
Stick to those sentiments, mr Irony, and we'll end up meeting at the end
of this road, because it means that you refuse Java and Flash, as I do.
If SVG or something better would run like VML does, I'd simply use that.
Netscape, Opera or Mozilla, I dont care, but there's no way I can get my
clients to download plugins to the browser any longer.
Witty remarks cannot change that.
It's becoming to much a security-risk.
They expect downloading the browser to be enough, and so do I.

Live long and prosper(^-^)y

Sun, 19 Dec 2004 05:18:56 GMT
 Graphics with Javascript

Fri, 19 Jun 1992 00:00:00 GMT
 Graphics with Javascript
If you have access to the current MSDN library, do a search for "VML".
There used to be a complete VML Reference, but not any more.  This has been
gone now for several releases of the MSDN library documentation.

If they're going to support SVG or VML, I wish they would at least supply
documentation.

Quote:

> > I belive VML will survive if it evolves.
> > This nutcase-religion about standards has to end.
> > I cannot use SVG because my visitors simply refuses to add yet another
> > plugin, but over 90% of my visitors has IE5 and thus supports VML.
> > This is called 'the real world'.
> > Check this for examples of other things VML can do, than what you
> > normally expect.
> > http://www.naltabyte.se/space

> I refuse to add another plugin.
> I refuse to cater to the browser wars.
> If IE can do it - they all can.
> Push for a DOM.
> Push for the browsers to actually follow it.

> But if I have to download something special to see your page - sorry,
> bye-bye.

> ~kaeli~

Sun, 19 Dec 2004 21:24:47 GMT
 Graphics with Javascript

Fri, 19 Jun 1992 00:00:00 GMT
 Graphics with Javascript

Quote:

> Pathetic.
> Would have been a good point in another dimension.
> VML is XML, and it'd running nativly in a browser without plugins,
> unlike SVG, which you probably support.

SVG runs natively in at least 2 browsers without plugins...

Quote:
> XML is not an unheard of format, and VML was submitted to w3c and
became
> the basis for SVG.

Well, not exactly. VML is a vector mark-up language SVG is a vector
markup language...

Quote:
> If SVG or something better would run like VML does, I'd simply use
that.
> Netscape, Opera or Mozilla, I dont care, but there's no way I can get
my
> clients to download plugins to the browser any longer.

Really? you know the plugin ships with Acrobat and things - plugins
they've likely already got don't you?

You'd rather only a subset of viewers can even view your content (you
know for example that the 90% you quote is for IE, not for IE on windows
which is the only group who can view VML.) - that's you're choice but
admit, it's not really an option for most please.

Jim.

Sun, 19 Dec 2004 21:32:40 GMT
 Graphics with Javascript

Quote:

> Pathetic.
> Would have been a good point in another dimension.

I think you missed my point. Perhaps I was too subtle.

The point was that you said you were sick of standards and I think there are not enough standards.

"This nutcase-religion about standards has to end." you said. Perhaps I
misinterpreted that, but to me it says you think standards are
irrelevant. I think they are not only relevant, but sorely needed.

Quote:
> They expect downloading the browser to be enough, and so do I.

Um, duh!
That's what I said.
"But if I have to download something special to see your page - sorry,
bye-bye."
Who are you arguing with, me or your client?

My point was to blame the Browsers, not the clients. Perhaps you
misunderstood me.

~kaeli~

Mon, 20 Dec 2004 02:32:59 GMT
 Graphics with Javascript
Ok, it would seem that we all would like the web to finally produce a
unified format (xhtml/svg/xml/xls/or any combination) that actually
manages in itself, what we expect electronic dynamic documents to
handle, without downloading ever more plugins or external formats.

The reason I'm against plugins is because they are a potential
security-risk, I dont alllow any plugins, period, and it just feels
awkward.
It feels like an neverending parade of patches being added to something
not quite reliable or stabile.

I'm using VML because in my part of the world, about 90% of all users DO
have IE with the VML-option set, this I know for a fact.
But also because i really need to be able to handle graphics dynamically
and no gif's or jpg's can do the trick.
I need to do this quick and dirty, and the interruption of downloading
stuff kills the app I'm hired to support.

(By the way, VML is still documented, under webdevelopment/multimedia.
There's nothing changed there, what are you talking about?
I've asked Microsoft about this, and they plan to continue a
full/extended support for it.)

Finally, there's an upcoming version of Mozilla that will support SVG as
being 'visible' for the DOM, that means, a part of the document rather
than a plugin, scriptable as such.
This we do like.
Give me more of this, or continue to develop VML into a fullgrown vector
format, I dont care, because all I really want to be able to do,
effortlessly and without gif's or jpg's, is to be able to handle graphic
elements dynamically.
That's all.
I dont care if I win or loose this argument as long as something like
that happens.

I also belive it would be nice if this would happen sometime during my
lifetime, and not in some unspecified future, along with Buck Rogers
fighting bad guys.

Live long and prosper(^-^)y

Mon, 20 Dec 2004 16:48:52 GMT
 Graphics with Javascript

Quote:
> I'm using VML because in my part of the world, about 90% of all users
DO
> have IE with the VML-option set, this I know for a fact.

how do you know this for a fact?  No-one even has accurate statistics on
the number of browsers on the internet so a specifici combination can't
exist.  I've certainly not seen any stats with VML capable browsers at
90% (mac IE doesn't support it.)

Quote:
> (By the way, VML is still documented, under webdevelopment/multimedia.
> There's nothing changed there, what are you talking about?
> I've asked Microsoft about this, and they plan to continue a
> full/extended support for it.)

Reference for this continued support, Incidently you know DirectAnimation
is supported by more browser installations than support VML *- why not
use that?

Jim.

* This is known because all VML capable support DA.

Mon, 20 Dec 2004 17:06:37 GMT

 [ 23 post ]  Go to page: [1] [2]

 Relevant Pages

1. Convert graphics in winword to TeX useable ps graphics

2. Javascript importing javascript

3. Writing JavaScript code with JavaScript

4. JavaScript history - signed JavaScript file ??

5. JavaScript to manipulate source JavaScript code

6. Compressed javascripts, DEFER attribute for javascripts

7. get X&Y coordinates of a graphic/map using Javascript/VBScript Client or Server-Side?

8. get X&Y coordinates of a graphic/map using Javascript/VBScript Client or Server-Side?

9. Graphic as link after Graphic loaded but not before?

10. Insert an EPS graphic

11. Inaccuracy of EPS graphic

12. graphics anyone