How popular is JSCRIPT on the server for ASP?
Author Message
 How popular is JSCRIPT on the server for ASP?

Gang

I am using JSCRIPT for a bunch of client side scripting. I prefer it over
VBScript because of it's C like syntax. Is VBSCRIPT the preferred language
on IIS using ASP? I have done a bunch of VBSCRIPT on the server side and it
appears to me that VBSCRIPT has bunches of functionality that JSCRIPT (on
the server) doesn't have.

For example, VBSCRIPT has the IsEmpty and IsNull functions. I typically use
them with respect to request.form("xx") type statements to see if the form
variable has been filled out.

Any thoughts or comments on this subject?

Bob

Fri, 07 Feb 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 How popular is JSCRIPT on the server for ASP?
Very!

I'm afraid I can't write much now, but search http://www.deja.com/ for this
topic and you will find lots of people (including the people who write the
MSDN web site) who use JScript in ASP.

Peter

--
Peter J. Torr - Microsoft Windows Script Program Manager

Please do not e-mail me with questions - post them to this
newsgroup instead. Thankyou!

Fri, 07 Feb 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 How popular is JSCRIPT on the server for ASP?
I would also suggest that you get use to using JScript for Server Side
scripting, seeing as that it's part of the new .NET structure. They don't
seem to be adding the VBScript engine to it yet (or at all, who knows).  I
don't know about anyone else, but I am glad that we finally get to define
data types in script!

</briggs>

Sat, 08 Feb 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 How popular is JSCRIPT on the server for ASP?

Quote:
> I would also suggest that you get use to using JScript for Server Side
> scripting, seeing as that it's part of the new .NET structure. They don't
> seem to be adding the VBScript engine to it yet (or at all, who knows).  I
> don't know about anyone else, but I am glad that we finally get to define
> data types in script!

Hey,

VBScript has merged with VB, so "there can be only one" Visual Basic
language.

But I agree -- everyone should use JScript.NET <g>

Peter

--
Peter J. Torr - Microsoft Windows Script Program Manager

Please do not e-mail me with questions - post them to this
newsgroup instead. Thankyou!

Sat, 08 Feb 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 How popular is JSCRIPT on the server for ASP?

Quote:
> But I agree -- everyone should use JScript.NET <g>

> Peter

Admit it, Peter - you're *totally* biased <g>!!!

--
Michael Harris
Microsoft.MVP.Scripting

Sat, 08 Feb 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 How popular is JSCRIPT on the server for ASP?

Quote:
> > But I agree -- everyone should use JScript.NET <g>

> > Peter

> Admit it, Peter - you're *totally* biased <g>!!!

Me? Biased? Where on earth did you get such a preposterous notion?

I even had to look the word up in a dictionary to find out what it meant!
<g>

Peter

--
Peter J. Torr - Microsoft Windows Script Program Manager

Please do not e-mail me with questions - post them to this
newsgroup instead. Thankyou!

Sun, 09 Feb 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 How popular is JSCRIPT on the server for ASP?

Quote:

> > > But I agree -- everyone should use JScript.NET <g>

> > > Peter

> > Admit it, Peter - you're *totally* biased <g>!!!

> Me? Biased? Where on earth did you get such a preposterous notion?

> I even had to look the word up in a dictionary to find out what it meant!
> <g>

Well the state of the colonies education never was up to much...

(yep I'm pissed of with our Antipodeans friends after one tried to maim me
during a friendly game of basketball)

back on topic, JScript.NET when it's up to scratch looks like the way to
go...

Jim.

Sun, 09 Feb 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 How popular is JSCRIPT on the server for ASP?
aspwire.com had a survey sometime back with this exact question.  The
numbers were approximately 70% using vbscript, 15% using jscript, and the
rest using perlscript or some other scripting language that supported the
microsoft web server.

Wally

Quote:
> Gang

> I am using JSCRIPT for a bunch of client side scripting. I prefer it over
> VBSCRIPT because of it's C like syntax. Is VBSCRIPT the preferred language
> on IIS using ASP? I have done a bunch of VBSCRIPT on the server side and
it
> appears to me that VBSCRIPT has bunches of functionality that JSCRIPT (on
> the server) doesn't have.

> For example, VBSCRIPT has the IsEmpty and IsNull functions. I typically
use
> them with respect to request.form("xx") type statements to see if the form
> variable has been filled out.

> Any thoughts or comments on this subject?

> Bob

Sun, 09 Feb 2003 03:00:00 GMT

1. server-side JScript in asp

2. ASP-ADO-jscript any cursor type operation on server failing.Example

3. Server side ASP programming using JScript only

4. Jscript vs VBscript on server side (ASP)

5. Jscript as ASP scripting on server AND Java

6. Instancing Java-components from ASP with server-side JScript: ASP115 error

7. Client-Side vs Server-side ASP/JScript

8. I am having trouble executing a .exe file on the server

9. I am trying to Use JScript within VBScript!!!

10. I want to send mail in WSH with JScript source...What am I doing wrong

11. I want to send mail in WSH with JScript source...What am I doing wrong

12. I am looking for a HTTP/1.1 ASP component