Is there any difference between JavaScript and JScript?
Author Message
 Is there any difference between JavaScript and JScript?

Is there any difference between JavaScript and JScript or is this a name
just used by Microsoft to confuse us even more?

Wayne

Fri, 02 May 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Is there any difference between JavaScript and JScript?

Well I think MS has choosen the name JScript for its implementation of
JavaScript as they didn't want to pay Sun (who owns all JavaSomething
names) to use the name JavaScript.
As for differences, we need to first get consensus on what JavaScript
is. If you regard the core language which is standardized in ECMAScript
edition 2 and 3 and therefore deal only with the basic statements(while,
if etc), expressions, operators, data types, built in object like
Object, Number, String, Boolean, Array, Date, Math, RegExp, then
JavaScript and JScript had only subtle differences (some methods for
Arrays, some properties more for RegExp in JavaScript) and JScript 5.5
has closed down that differences.
There are still differences which the standard allows, for instance the
behaviour of
  Date.getYear
is different in JavaScript 1.5 and JScript 5.5, for instance
  new Date().getYear()
(currently when I post this) shows 100 in JavaScript 1.5, while JScript
5.5 shows 2000.
The standard only specifies Date.getFullYear() so use that function.
If you regard JavaScript as what Netscape offers in its web browsers,
you are regarding the core language plus a hosting environment, in that
case all the browser and document related objects like windows,
documents, images, form elements or in nowadays browsers nearly every
HTML page element and node.
The differences here are vast, in particular between NN4 and IE4/5 which
have a much richer object model. NN6 tries to catch up and will offer
much of the functionality IE4/5 have but often with a different api.

Quote:

--

        Martin Honnen
        http://javascript.faqts.com/

Sat, 03 May 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Is there any difference between JavaScript and JScript?

Quote:
> There are still differences which the standard allows, for instance the
> behaviour of
>   Date.getYear
> is different in JavaScript 1.5 and JScript 5.5, for instance
>   new Date().getYear()
> (currently when I post this) shows 100 in JavaScript 1.5, while JScript
> 5.5 shows 2000.

The standard does actually suggest in appendix B an appropriate
implementation, why I don't know, but it goes with the Netscape version.

JavaScript 1.5 (as in NN6) is also (currently) missing a number of the
ECMAScript ed 3 functions, which has destroyed (in my opinion) any
credability for standards compliance, I thought we waited so long so it
would be compliant to all standards, not missing entire core functions!

Quote:
> The differences here are vast, in particular between NN4 and IE4/5 which
> have a much richer object model. NN6 tries to catch up and will offer
> much of the functionality IE4/5 have but often with a different api.

And NN6, with probably too many bugs, until there are some service
releases...

Jim.

Sat, 03 May 2003 03:00:00 GMT

1. ResizeTo -- JScript/JavaScript differences?

2. what is the difference between JScript and JavaScript

3. Difference between JScript and JavaScript?

4. What is the difference between JScript and JavaScript?

5. what are the differences between JScript and JavaScript

6. javascript array problem, or am I just stupid!!!

7. I am new to javascript and have a question

8. date difference in javascript

9. differences between IE5.5 and IE 6 javascript

10. I am trying to Use JScript within VBScript!!!

11. I want to send mail in WSH with JScript source...What am I doing wrong

12. I want to send mail in WSH with JScript source...What am I doing wrong